• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Silva Silva

Silva Silva

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

Yeah, I got Coma console. I did a little bit of research, and found that you could fix this if it's a version 1.0 or 1.1

problem is, mine's a 1.3

Mine's already modded, but I don't know how. (A friend of my father's modded it, and it worked great for years) So is there anyway to fix this? I hear you can fix it with a mod chip, but what chip and how?

Edited by Silva Silva, 04 September 2010 - 07:15 PM.

#2 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

Any modchip should do the trick.

When a modchip is installed, the xbox boots it's bios from the modchip instead of the original Tsop flash. For that reason, the corrupted bios causing the coma console is no longer needed.

When you look at the prices of second hand xboxes nowadays, you might consider buying another one on ebay. If you are lucky, you will find one for the price of the modchip.

The only problem is that you still need to get it modded.

regards.

#3 Fade Iczer GEast

Fade Iczer GEast

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

obcd is right about a modchip, but I'd definitely go with one. You can get an Xecuter 2 for about $30, flash it one time and never worry about it again. Personally I avoid softmods. If something happens to my modchip I can always reflash it or buy a new one. It's very easy, and the difficulty in soldering one in is easily the most exaggerated con in installing one. With the prices dropping the way that they are, there's no reason why you couldn't buy 2 or 3 for the price of an Xbox. After installing one for yourself you'll have extras and can make a decent bit of cash on the side doing it for someone else.

#4 Silva Silva

Silva Silva

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

Thanks alot. The only thing I don't know now is where to get one. Ebay?

Edited by Silva Silva, 05 September 2010 - 08:22 PM.

#5 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:00 AM

I got mine from a dutch webshop.
As the xbox 1 is a bit absolete, most of those webshops don't renew their stock of xbox 1 modchips anymore.
In some countries, selling modchips is illegal. Because of that, it's sometimes hard to find them.

As usual, Google is your friend.

regards.

#6 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

If it is a true coma console and not a messed up softmod, etc, quite often sticking the motherboard in a freezer for 20 minutes may allow it to boot, so that you can reflash the tsop. These are all getting pretty old now though and there can be other reasons why they will not boot up, leaking capacitors is becoming very common.

#7 Silva Silva

Silva Silva

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Sep 6 2010, 08:06 AM) View Post

If it is a true coma console and not a messed up softmod, etc, quite often sticking the motherboard in a freezer for 20 minutes may allow it to boot, so that you can reflash the tsop. These are all getting pretty old now though and there can be other reasons why they will not boot up, leaking capacitors is becoming very common.

I tried that, and it didn't boot.

It could be a leaky capcitor, how would I check for that, and what can I do?

#8 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

Usually, you see some white stuff under the capacitor that might even start to corrode the pcb surface.
Sometimes, the end of the cilinder isn't flat anymore. It's pushed upwards a couple of milimeters, and sometimes you can even see that the metal plate at the end of the capacitor is starting to split open.

All you can do is desolder the capacitor, remove any liquid or powder that you find spilled underneath the capacitor, and replace it with a low ESR type of the same or a little bigger value and voltage.

One that very often goes bad is the 1 farad capacitor that is used to keep the clock going for a while with the mains disconnected. It's on the left side of the mobo, close the the front of it.

To my knowledge, your xbox should even work without that one.

regards.

#9 Silva Silva

Silva Silva

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE(obcd @ Sep 8 2010, 10:30 AM) View Post

Usually, you see some white stuff under the capacitor that might even start to corrode the pcb surface.
Sometimes, the end of the cilinder isn't flat anymore. It's pushed upwards a couple of milimeters, and sometimes you can even see that the metal plate at the end of the capacitor is starting to split open.

All you can do is desolder the capacitor, remove any liquid or powder that you find spilled underneath the capacitor, and replace it with a low ESR type of the same or a little bigger value and voltage.

One that very often goes bad is the 1 farad capacitor that is used to keep the clock going for a while with the mains disconnected. It's on the left side of the mobo, close the the front of it.

To my knowledge, your xbox should even work without that one.

regards.

Kay thanks.

I turned on my Xbox today, and it booted up. So I'm going to play it a little while first.

#10 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:41 AM

Yep. The xbox will operate fine without the clock cap.

One thing to take note of is that if you have any fluid that has leaked from the clock cap, the fluid is corrosive and if not cleaned up properly, will continue to eat your motherboard. This acidic puddle is easy to spot because in the very early stages of the leak, dust will stick to the acid puddle so you will see a dusty spot in the shape of a small puddle at the base of the clock cap. Neutralize the acid by sprinkling some baking soda onto the affected area and leave it sit for like 10 minutes. Then clean it off with whatever.

Two years ago I began removing the clock caps from all xboxes that come in to my possession. Leaking or not.

#11 Silva Silva

Silva Silva

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Sep 9 2010, 01:41 AM) View Post

Yep. The xbox will operate fine without the clock cap.

One thing to take note of is that if you have any fluid that has leaked from the clock cap, the fluid is corrosive and if not cleaned up properly, will continue to eat your motherboard. This acidic puddle is easy to spot because in the very early stages of the leak, dust will stick to the acid puddle so you will see a dusty spot in the shape of a small puddle at the base of the clock cap. Neutralize the acid by sprinkling some baking soda onto the affected area and leave it sit for like 10 minutes. Then clean it off with whatever.

Two years ago I began removing the clock caps from all xboxes that come in to my possession. Leaking or not.

So Sorry to necrobump.

But I Notice the dusty stop in the shape of a puddle, but there doesn't appear to be any sort of crack or leak in the capacitor. SHould I still remove it anyway?

#12 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

Yeah probably be a good idea to remove it and clean he board under it.

#13 Silva Silva

Silva Silva

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Dec 5 2010, 12:11 AM) View Post

Yeah probably be a good idea to remove it and clean he board under it.

It actually turns out that the big capacitor LEFT of the clock capacitor was the one leaking.

Do I need to replace that one? I actually have a second Xbox, would that work in replacing it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users