• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hevydani

hevydani

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

I've modded my GPU fan with a switch to go from 7v to 12v but am wondering if it would be better for me to just keep it as standard so the fan uses the transistor?

Should anyone want to know how I did this I'll upload a quick tut (couldn't find a straight tut online for this mod) smile.gif

#2 hevydani

hevydani

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

Anyone?? blink.gif

#3 hevydani

hevydani

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

Well done a tut anyway incase people do wish to do this (I'd have liked one wink.gif )

This mod is only for the GPU fan!

I done the 12v mod and while this did keep the Xbox cool, it was noisy as hell when trying to watch a film/play a game when the missus is asleep wink.gif

So decided to do this quick mod to switch between the noisy 12v and 7v (as standard fans run at 5v which I felt wasn't good enough)

So, you will need-

A toggle switch like this one - http://www.positiveo...-off-switch.jpg
Some wire
Soldering skills smile.gif

You first need to cut the "-" wire from the fan (the black one), but leave enough so you can join it to another piece of wire. In the middle will do nicely.

Now, solder/join a length of wire from the "-" (black) from the fan itself (NOT the fan plug!) to the middle leg of the switch.

Then cut the "+" (red) from the fan, join this to a longer piece of wire and solder it to the 12v point as shown in the picture.

You now need to solder a piece of wire from the left leg of the switch, to the 3.3v point shown in the pic.

Finally you need to join a length of wire from the "-" (Black) from the FAN PLUG and solder to the right leg of the switch.

And that's it! Hope this helps someone!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by hevydani, 10 September 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

Maybe if you weren't so impatient someone would have posted something up for you, this isn't a live help board, it's a forum and takes time for some things to be answered.

This is also a 12v / 8.7v fan mod, not 12v / 7v, since 12 - 3.3 = 8.7, at least it did back when I learned math.

#5 hevydani

hevydani

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

Oh I'm ever so sorry, I actually just read about a 3.3 - 12v mod in another post which was described as being a 7v mod. Didn't even think to work it out myself as my maths are absolute crap and so tend to sway from it, but thank you for your superior, enlightening arithmatic skills and constructive input.

First time I've actually submitted a tut to any forum, posts like yours being the reason why.

#6 tkpro

tkpro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:21 PM

Wow this tutorial is just what Im looking to do

First Thanks for your time and posting this
I'm attempting to put a case fan above power button, but mounted on the underside w an outside gate to cool the GPU
I have XClamp fix
and Freestyle Dash (Jtag Falcon) back stock fans @ 100%
I looking for a fan recommendation, that will fit w the addtl GPU heatsink not getting in the way. I want the quietest and high cfm , any ideas?
Is 80mm a good size?
Best way to cut hole Dremmel ?
I have seen 3 pin and 4 pin fans any difference, I imagine the fans have more then 2 wires, since I have read to connect to a 12v source on motherboard and ground - I am going underneath motherboard
So can I can use this mod to get a low and fast speed.

Lastly I would like to have the ability to run fan after shutdown to cool board down

Come on peeps I welcome all answers keep the flames to ur self

tk

#7 hevydani

hevydani

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

Funny you should say that I ordered a fan a couple of days ago from eBay, a 40mm, 2 pin fan (I measured the 2nd heatsink which was roughly this size) It's also only 11mm deep.

I shall probably wire it with just 5v, but sucking the air out of the box instead of bringing air in, I think that would be a better solution as the fan would be quite close to the bottom grill so *should* bring air in through the bottom grill (assuming you will have your box horizontal) and out of the the fan through the fins of the heatsink, instead of pushing the hot air down and it distributing throughout the box.

Maybe even cover a few of the top holes of the grill with a piece of card to force the air being sucked in to come from under the fins, like so-

IPB Image

I realise this may not be exactly what you meant, I'm far from an expert but I'm reckoning it would be a better alternative?
You could wire the fan to switch between *8.7v*....and 12v?

For the dremel I would just mark out the lines with a ruler on the underside of the top cover (if you know what I mean tongue.gif) and score it over and over with a razor until it's nice and deep, then follow the score with a dremel.

Edited by hevydani, 10 September 2010 - 07:54 PM.

#8 The_Doctor

The_Doctor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(hevydani @ Sep 10 2010, 07:11 PM) View Post

Oh I'm ever so sorry, I actually just read about a 3.3 - 12v mod in another post which was described as being a 7v mod. Didn't even think to work it out myself as my maths are absolute crap and so tend to sway from it, but thank you for your superior, enlightening arithmatic skills and constructive input.

First time I've actually submitted a tut to any forum, posts like yours being the reason why.

im not going to deny that it was a rather harsh post he made.

but if you had been here for longer than 3 days, you would realise that he has done things modding the xbox that you could only dream of.
and why he seems a little "on edge" when threads like this are made

#9 hevydani

hevydani

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

I agree, I've seen some of his mods and to be honest they are absolutely amazing, but that doesn't justify the arrogance of that post.

I don't see why a newcomer posting a tut' should make someone "on edge" a simple, "Just to say, this is actually a 8.7v mod wink.gif " would have sufficed.

I realise me posting again after 2 hours may not have been the way forward, I just saw the thread had been viewed numerous times. It wasn't meant to sound like an impatient remark.

#10 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

It wasn't arrogant, however it was intended to get you to understand that this isn't a live help board. Even if 1000 people read the post in 10 minutes that doesn't mean that any of them had the answer, the time to reply just then or even felt like it for that matter as there are several fan mods already on here.

Neither was I 'on edge' about the tutorial, but if you're not going to check your work and post misinformation up here then yes, I will post in order to correct that so everyone can learn from it, not to get anyone's back up.

The fact you posted, then in 2 hours bumped it and then 26 minutes after that had a tutorial all ready to go (so less than 26 minutes) makes no sense at all. Just posting it to start with would have sufficed since you had the time to make it, but not wait for anyone else's reply, again, this is not a live help board, some posts don't get answered at all, and waiting a day before bumping up your question is the common practice on a forum, you'll just get flamed and no one helping going about it that way, again neither of which were my intention, it was to let you know how the forum works as well as point out that if you're going to make a tutorial it doesn't hurt to put a little time into it so that it's correct. wink.gif

#11 hevydani

hevydani

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:44 PM

Ok point taken, just found offence to the maths remark is all to be honest. To be fair you didn't need to be as harsh in correcting me, this is the first tutorial I posted on this site (and the first proper mod I've done myself off my own back)

The tutorial wasn't already written, I started it just before I bumped. I realise I shouldn't have bumped so early and that this isn't a live support channel or such, as I say it wasn't meant to come over as impatient, I've had help on these forums already the past 3 days and am more than happy with the support I'd recieved.

I read on another thread about the 12v - 3.3v making it a 7v mod, I didn't bother to work it out (I know I should have, but my maths really are atrocious)

So I apologise for posting wrong info and would be greatful if you could maybe correct the title and content of the post so as to avoid confusion.

Edited by hevydani, 10 September 2010 - 11:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users