7urrican

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

my gf uses the ea fitness game every day on my pal 3.4 wii using usb loader gx. i really quite fancy a bit of monster hunter tri and metroid other m, but need the new cios's to play new games. i take it that they dont work on 3.4, so i need to update to system menu 4.2.

problem is i'm not sure how severe doing that is, and whether i lose the wonderful usb loader. bottom line is: gf will kill me if i balls up/brick her wii grr.gif

so, what is the best way to update (have been reading good things about pimpmywii) and will i lose all my stuff?

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:31 AM

generally what the updates do is remove homebrew launchers, but they are easy to reinstall after the update

i recently updated to 4.3 and then reinstalled homebrew channel using Indiana Pwns

i cant say anything about USB loader though, ive never used it

you might want to try asking on WiiHacks youll probably get someone more knowledgable than me

#3 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:19 AM

well you can install everything you want with out having to update. dont go to 4.2 or higher until you really no what you are doing. You dont need to update because I think alot of people still use the 3.2 system menu.

A CIOS is a custom IOS you will not get those by updating to 4.2 anyway.

if you already have the usb loader then just google
IOS249 v17
IOS222 v4
IOS58

the version numbers I gave you are not the newest but they are whats recommended right now and IOS58 is not required but it is used by usb loader to load stuff faster using the usb port and it was a nice gift from nintendo. If you need more help just let me know

#4 7urrican

7urrican

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

steveo, thanks so much, thats just the kind of answer i hoped for! i have installed 222 and 58 as per your advice using auto installer .dol files, and that all went great - wii still ok!

i have cIOS249 v17.wad but i dont really know what to do with it! it has been a long time since i set up the wii... back to noobness i'm afraid. can you help?

much appreciated biggrin.gif

p.s. have you used pimp my wii? i love the idea - press 'go' and it updates everything for you with no need to understand what the hell is going on. little bit scary though, and i dont relly want to change system menu if i dont have to!

Edited by 7urrican, 11 September 2010 - 12:53 PM.

#5 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

there should be an installer for IOS 249 google "waninkoko ios249 installer" there is an tutorial for installing it. The tutorial says use v20 so just use v20. I dont know what usb loader you are using but I use Configurable USB Loader v59 and it works great for every game I play on it.

#6 7urrican

7urrican

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:12 PM

thanks man, im all sorted. monster hunter is go and i will have metroid soon. really appreciate it beerchug.gif

#7 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:47 AM

I havent been keeping up with the Wii-scene for awhile. I just hauled my Wii out of the closet where it has sat for 2 years because the kids wanted to play some new game, "Guilty Party" It required me to update from 3.2 to 4.2 Perhaps there was ways around it but their eagerness to play forced me into accepting the update on the disc. The update deleted my homebrew channel, but my homemade pic(12f629 with wiifree or YAOSM I cant remember) still allows me to boot backups, so I am happy about that. I am glad they didnt somehow mess that up.

#8 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:13 AM

Strict just google "hackmii installer" and get the one for 4.2 it will let you reinstall HBC and it has the bannerbomb exploit so you dont need any game to run it. Loading off the disk drive is just to slow. Load a retail copy a 6x or maybe 8x but I am pretty sure its 6x is just way to slow and backups load at a slower 3x. You might also wanna check into installing priiloader to block future updates. Here is some good home brew to check into

Wiimc -- Kinda like XBMC for the Wii but slimed down to just the basics like movies (480p works and some 720p) music, dvd (works but not to great but who needs another dvd player) and best of all internet media (shockwave navi-x and youtube streaming all work pretty good). You can load all media from an external usb devise in either Fat or ntfs so that a plus.

wiixplorer-- Kinda like HBC but better you can launch apps from Sd or external hdd

#9 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:18 AM

Wow thanks for all the tips steveo, it seems like I have been missing out on alot of developments. Maybe it wont go back into the closet when the kids get bored of their game.

#10 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:21 AM

Yeah there is alot of stuff for the wii other then just playing wii games. The Wii gets alot of love from the people that develope for it. Wiimc is the perfect example it had an issue and the guys pushed out updates that solved those problems real quick

Edited by steveo1978, 12 September 2010 - 04:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users