X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Classic Cars, Cooking, Computers, Video Games
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:29 AM

Hi there Guys, Gals,. and other life forms, jester.gif

I am looking to expand my toys,and pick up an Xbox. I see on eBay lots of them, and a some are rather new models with a Red Light of death? I'm assuming that is a major system failure. I already have a Nintendo Game Cube, and a Wii. I certainly want Wi-Fi so I can go online and play. Do these consoles have Wi-Fi built in like the Wii consoles do,. or do I have to get an external device. I do have several wired ports on my wireless N router, (D-Link DR-628), and I also have a 6 port Network data switch with a few available ports.

Now that I'm retired, (actually disabld, and on SSI after rather severe cardiac problems sad.gif ), and on a very low fixed income, money has become a major issue, so I need to go the cheapest route I can find.

I have been building Desktop PCs and Macs for 20+ years, and repairing PC and Mac Laptops for about 10 years. If I were to pick up one of these "Repair or for parts" consoles, how difficult are they to repair? are they like a PC or Laptop to where I can determine what is wroing, and replace the module. or do I need to go into soldering and all? Can I simply replace Chips, Drives, etc like Laptops and PCs?

Thanks,
Jim.

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:50 AM

are you looking for an xbox or an xbox 360?

to answer some of your questions, neither has built in wifi, but both have wired ethernet ports that can be connected to a wireless bridge, and the 360 works with several brands of USB adaptor

#3 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:57 AM

Be careful buying off E-Bay. Buy from a trusted seller. Always ask if the console has been opened. People can lie and try to open it without making the sticker look like it has been altered. If you are wanting a 360, look in the Buy/sell/trade section here. Always pay with PayPal.

You may start reading in the 360 section if that is what you are interested in. I would do a lot of research before jumping in. If you want streaming, I would go with the Xbox. If you want online gaming and newer games, go with the 360. Remember, you can get a new 360 for around $150 with a controller. So don't spend too much on a used system if you don't have to.

#4 JimBoCOl

JimBoCOl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Sep 11 2010, 06:57 PM) View Post

Be careful buying off E-Bay. Buy from a trusted seller. Always ask if the console has been opened. People can lie and try to open it without making the sticker look like it has been altered. If you are wanting a 360, look in the Buy/sell/trade section here. Always pay with PayPal.

PayPal is my favorite method of paying for things over the internet.

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Sep 11 2010, 06:57 PM) View Post

You may start reading in the 360 section if that is what you are interested in. I would do a lot of research before jumping in. If you want streaming, I would go with the Xbox. If you want online gaming and newer games, go with the 360. Remember, you can get a new 360 for around $150 with a controller. So don't spend too much on a used system if you don't have to.

Very very good advise, it's greatly appreciated. I did not realize that there was a buy and sell section here. I'll have to check that out. I don't need streaming because I havev a Wi-Fi Blu-Ray player, and a Wii console that delivers netflix. I have a spare room full of access points, routers, etc... Tell me about Hardware compatibility, i.e. Hard Drives,. DVD Drives, and the like.

Thanks

#5 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:48 AM

First you need to decide if you want the Xbox or 360. The differences are vast in what you can do with them.

#6 JimBoCOl

JimBoCOl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Sep 12 2010, 10:48 PM) View Post

First you need to decide if you want the Xbox or 360. The differences are vast in what you can do with them.

I would think the 360 because I have an HDTV. I have both HDMI ports on the TV used up, but I have another component set available.

I was looking at new systems, and they run between $300.00 and $500.00. Used and refurbs are going for about $250.00, but have no cables, power supplies or controllers. By the time I purchase those items, I'll have spent the same as I would have for a brand new system. From what I'm seeing, the only systems within my price range are broken ones, hence, my question of how difficult they are to repair.

Thanks,
Jim.

#7 Xmodder deluX

Xmodder deluX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:32 AM

If you're into old skool gaming, then the original xbox is a must have. Take a look at the madmab emulators with the Ressurection Xtras if you have not done so yet. XBMC is also great for watching any type of media you may have and it supports streaming as well.

#8 jacksonfun

jacksonfun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE(1hotjob @ Sep 12 2010, 03:57 AM) View Post

good advice indeed,.

#9 JimBoCOl

JimBoCOl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(Xmodder deluX @ Sep 13 2010, 08:32 PM) View Post

If you're into old skool gaming, then the original xbox is a must have. Take a look at the madmab emulators with the Ressurection Xtras if you have not done so yet. XBMC is also great for watching any type of media you may have and it supports streaming as well.

I decided to bite the bullet and pulled my best buy card out of mothballs. I bought a new 360 250GB System that is kinect ready. Then I went on ebay, and bought rechargeable battery packs, and dual charging stand for the wireless controlers. I'm also looking at an extra cooling fan as well. Next month, I'll get the second controler, and the kinect sensor setup. It's a heck of a lot more than I wanted to spend but I'll bet that I will be better off in the long run. I've already set up my XBox live account, and as soon as my console arrives, I'll log it in and register it.

Jim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users