2 replies to this topic

#1 chipD

chipD

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

Is this a limitation of the JB/pspgroove code, or backup manager?I read people saying there will be an update to psgroove that we wont need to have a disc in drive.But im not sure if thats true or just wishful thinking.My problem is i have a ps3 with a bad laser.Disc's load/eject fine, but dont read.
So as it stands, will need a new drive to play future homebrew?
Im only interested in homebrew so im really in no hurry yet, I just want to know if i should start looking for a deal on a new drive, or wait it out till theres a no disc solution and more homebrew.

#2 RiouTheBrightShieldHero

RiouTheBrightShieldHero

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Biking
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:13 AM

No, I am sure other programs will not require the blu-ray drive.

It is a lot like the PSP. Originally, you needed a UMD in the drive to hit the switch in the PSP to "let it know" that there was a disc inside, but instead of reading data off of it, data from the ISO would replace it. This was eventually emulated and the need of a physical disc was no longer required.

Running homebrew itself doesn't run like a game does. It uses files from the hard drive and doesn't need to think it is reading a disc.

Edit:

I guess to sum it up, a game needs to be "emulated" as a physical disc whereas applications use a different method of running.

Edited by RiouTheBrightShieldHero, 12 September 2010 - 05:15 AM.

#3 chipD

chipD

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

Yeah after i thought about it for a few minutes , the backup manager is a homebrew app to load backups from hard drive but doesnt need a disc to load the initial loader so my guess is any other homebrew apps wouldnt either.For some reason I was thinking it was part of the JB that was required to load anything be it backups or homebrew.No idea why i thought that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users