Photo

Xbox Is Set To English - Games Are Still In German?!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FyRazer

FyRazer

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:06 PM

Hi smile.gif

My Xbox 1.6 is softmodded (Hot Swap with KingRoach's Ndure-Installer - standard Dashboard is UnleashX).

When i start the Xbox by pressing the power-button it boots to the UnleashX-dashboard and when i start the Xbox by pressing the eject-button it boots to the original MS dashboard. Just the way i like it cool.gif

Well, i still have a problem with my Xbox...

In the MS dashboard i've set my Xbox to english.
Now when i'm playing the game "Conker Live & Reloaded" i still have german text-boxes in the game. I've read in some forums that you can have english subtitles (text-boxes) in the game by setting your Xbox to english instead of german. Well, like i said, i did that - but i still don't have english text-boxes in the game.
What's weird:
When i'm in the UnleashX-dashboard and start the "Ndure Tools" and then go to the file explorer and then start the game i have english text-boxes in the game!
How is that possible?
When i start the game from within the UnleashX-dasboard i still have german text-boxes - only when i start the game inside the Ndure Tools i have the english text-boxes i would like to have...
Like i mentioned before: in the original MS dashboard my xbox is set to english, not german.
Is there something wrong with the softmod? For some reason the settings in the MS dashboard don't stay fixed...
Well, before i softmodded my Xbox, my Xbox was set to german. I've set the Xbox to english AFTER i have softmodded it, not before. Maybe this is causing the problem?
Please, can anybody help me to fix it? smile.gif

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

Is there a file called eeprom.bin in E:\NKP11\? If there is run NDURE toolset and delete E:\NKP11\eeprom.bin

#3 FyRazer

FyRazer

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

GREAT!!! It works biggrin.gif

Thank you very much Heimdall - you made my day smile.gif Now i have english text-boxes in the game love.gif

But why is the eeprom.bin responsible for the issue with the system language? I don't get it...
Well, i've did the backup of the eeprom.bin BEFORE i switched the system language to english. Maybe this was responsible for it? So now, when the system language is set to english (the way i want it), can i backup the eeprom.bin again? Without loosing the english language again?
Sorry for the dumb questions, but i'm a n00b in Xbox-things tongue.gif I just got my Xbox a few days ago.

Erm, another question:

Like i mentioned before, when i start the Xbox by pressing the eject-button, it boots into the original MS dashboard. But when i try to switch to the MS dashboard from within the UnleashX-dashboard (by choosing the option "MS Dashboard") i get the error "Unable to launch c:\xb0xdash.xbe. File does not exists".

Is there any way to fix that? So i can switch to the MS dasboard just by choosing "MS Dashboard"?

Edited by FyRazer, 12 September 2010 - 02:27 PM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:43 PM

Good softmods use a virtual eeprom, so that you can't screw up your Xbox accidentally (some of the information in the eeprom is vital to the correct operation of your softmod). It works in two ways - if there's a file called eeprom.bin in a particular location then after it has booted your Xbox uses eeprom.bin when it reads config data (and obviously when it writes to the eeprom), if the file doesn't exist then at boot up it creates a temporary virtual copy of the eeprom from the real eeprom on the motherboard and uses that instead. So, in your case the real eeprom was set to English, but the eeprom.bin file was set to German. Deleting the file means that your Xbox now creates a temporary virtual copy of the real eeprom with the English setting, so your subtitles now work as you want.

FYI, It worked properly from within NDTS because NDTS loads a different BIOS, and doesn't use virtual eeprom, so it reads the real eeprom.

Take another backup of your eeprom, but once you have it safely on your PC you should delete it from the Xbox so this problem doesn't happen again.

To get MS Dash to launch you have to edit your UnleashX config.xml so that it looks for c:\xboxdash.xbe instead of c:\xb0xdash.xbe

#5 FyRazer

FyRazer

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

Thanks, now it all gets a bit clearer to me smile.gif

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Sep 12 2010, 03:43 PM) View Post

To get MS Dash to launch you have to edit your UnleashX config.xml so that it looks for c:\xboxdash.xbe instead of c:\xb0xdash.xbe

If i do that, then i get error 21 when i try to start the MS dashboard by choosing " MS Dashboard" blink.gif
I have to change it in the file "E\dash\config.xml", right?
Or do i have to start the Ndure tools before?

Edited by FyRazer, 12 September 2010 - 03:31 PM.

#6 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

I have to change it in the file "E\dash\config.xml", right?
YES

but if you make any changes to settings that are stored in the eeprom

they will NOT stick when you reboot..

unless you use E:\nkp11\eeprom_off.bin or make the changes from a eject power on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users