• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kazumakiryuu

kazumakiryuu

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:57 AM

I now have NDURE 3.1 and UnleashX running on my Xbox, and was wondering a few things:

-Does this softmod let you play imports/bypass regions? I looked around for the answer to this and couldn't find it.
-The circle LED around the eject button was flashing between green, orange and red the first time I got UnleashX to run. Now it's solid yellow while UnleashX is running every time. Is that normal? The HDD is fully operational, as is the disc drive, and I'm able to play and save games.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Yes, and yes.

#3 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:31 AM

I too was disconcerted by those flashing lights during initial boot when I first installed an UnleashX v.572 dash. Changing the default colour from green to orange was also a bizarre decision IMHO. It actually might have made more sense to make it red the colour most electronic equipment uses to indicate it's either powered on or in stand-by mode.

But red, particularly when flashing, is always used as a warning, orange likewise for caution and green for OK. If people want flashing and/or alternative colours then they do have that option to change them in the Settings > System menu.

But why on earth not have the default at green if the console working correctly, flashing green for busy, flashing orange for missing or loose cable connection and flashing red for a fault? It's the colour system that was used for the previous dash versions and is generally understood too, so why mess with it?

Edited by fallenangle, 23 September 2010 - 03:34 AM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

The default colour is yellow so you can tell that the softmod is working. It's extremely useful for remote troubleshooting, especially if people have "accidentally" deleted their hacked dash and post believing that their softmod is broken, because if the LED is yellow then the softmod is working and the Xbox will boot a homebrew disc and you can use FTP to replace the missing dash. If the LED was green all the time then you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a working softmod with a missing dash, and a standard BIOS boot.

#5 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:19 AM

Understood.

However, this may not be possible, but if when the softmod is working but the dash missing it caused the LED to turn yellow/orange wouldn't that be as helpful?

I meant to ask about this before: the more recent versions of UnleashX give the user the option to change all LED colour/blinking options for a range of functions. Doesn't this work in direct opposition to the very thing you've mentioned : the identification of problems a set of standardised LED colour codes provides?

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:23 AM

I'd guess that UnleashX allows you to change the LED colour because it can, and because people asked for that feature.

Having the softmod check for the presence of the primary dash then setting the LED colour is a good idea, but I doubt it will happen, as there are very few people left who are interested and able to do it. The only person I know of that's still around is xman954, who wrote big chunks of NKPatcher11. The problem is that no-one is releasing new softmods, so the scope for people using a new version of NKPatcher 11 is very limited.

Having said that, you can make the LED any colour you like, even using 4 cycle flashing patterns, before the dash starts. That way you get the best of both worlds - a definite indication that the softmod is working, but without the yellow LED. Just make sure you don't pick a colour combination that is the same as one of the standard error colour combinations!

To do it you get hold of the right version of NKPatcher for your softmod (the latest is NKPatcher11_U04.rar). Edit your own runtime config file (config_runtime.inc) to give you the colour pattern you want, compile the file (run make_runtime.bat), then put the resulting file in the right place on your Xbox, with the right name. Different softmods give NKPatcher control files different names, and put them in different places. Krayzie puts the runtime config control file in C:\nkpatcher\config.bin. Kingroach puts the various runtime control files in E:\NKP11\.

Have a look at this post for more details of the structure of config_runtime.inc:

http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=2999700

You just need to define a colour pattern you want, then attach it to NKP_LED_COLOR. I can't remember the exact combinations of bits for each colour in each of the 4 cycles, but a bit of trial and error will get you to the right result. NB you need to make sure that the other settings in config_runtime.inc are either commented out, or set to the correct values and file locations for your softmod, otherwise you might need to hotswap to recover.

Here's the bit of the config_runtime.inc file you need to focus on:

CODE
;;;---------------------------------------------------------------------------
%define ORANGE       00FFh    ; ----------------
%define ORANGE_BLINK 0077h    ;
%define RED          00F0h    ;  YOU CAN
%define RED_BLINK    0070h    ;      ADD YOUR
%define GREEN        000Fh    ;       OWN !
%define GREEN_BLINK  0007h    ;  
%define CYCLE        00EBh    ;
%define LED_OFF      0000h    ; ----------------
;;;---------------------------------------------------------------------------
%define NKP_LED_COLOR           ORANGE     ; < CHANGE IT HERE
%define ALTDASH_LED_COLOR       RED_BLINK  ; < CHANGE IT HERE
%define PATCHBACK_LED_COLOR     GREEN_BLINK; < CHANGE IT HERE

#7 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the info - I'm constantly amazed here by people's depth of knowledge about stuff like this and in general,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users