7 replies to this topic

#1 Team Xlink

Team Xlink

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:55 AM

Hello.

I'm looking to make use of my Xbox it has been like this for around a year or two.

I was messing with the Debug Dash, and I accidentally setup a PAL bios on my Xbox, the video became unreadable, and I didn't know very much about it so I decided I would just reformat the hd, (I had reformatted the hd numerous times, my disc was setup with all of my important stuff.).

It didn't work, so it has been sitting on a shelf for around two years.

I don't have the disc, but I do have the hard drive, it is unlocked and is currently the hard drive for a Linux game server I host.

Is there anyway to make use of my Xbox, I would like to put Linux on it, and turn it into a seedbox, provided there is a command line Xbox Linux.

I don't want to buy a modchip because they cost around as much as a used Xbox.

All of the guides about TSOP flashing require you to have a soft-modded Xbox or the hard drive lock key.

Thank you.

-TeamXlink

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,751 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:44 AM

how was the xbox modded in the first place? if it was softmodded youll either need a backup of the eeprom or have to build an eeprom reader, if it was TSOP flashed you might be able to just pop a new HD in and rebuild it (depending on what bios was flashed)

as for the PAL thing, its not in the bios its in the eeprom, once you get the box up and running again youll still need to set it back to NTSC, use enigma videomode switch disc for that just boot and hit A and it will switch it back to NTSSC

#3 Team Xlink

Team Xlink

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Sep 18 2010, 09:44 PM) View Post

how was the xbox modded in the first place? if it was softmodded youll either need a backup of the eeprom or have to build an eeprom reader, if it was TSOP flashed you might be able to just pop a new HD in and rebuild it (depending on what bios was flashed)

as for the PAL thing, its not in the bios its in the eeprom, once you get the box up and running again youll still need to set it back to NTSC, use enigma videomode switch disc for that just boot and hit A and it will switch it back to NTSSC

It was softmodded, I don't have a backup of anything for it anymore, so I am going to look into building an eeprom reader.

Thank you.

#4 Team Xlink

Team Xlink

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

Well, I'm surprised.

I was browsing through a bunch of discs trying to see if by chance one of them might be the Xbox hdm that I used, and I found one that is.

I'm unsure if it is the correct one for that Xbox but I think it is.

The problem is I don't have a spare lockable drive or any extra hard drives, and my xbox hard drive is unlocked and being used for a game server.

I'm going to attempt to create a live cd of my game server and use the hard drive to see if the cd I found is the right one for this Xbox.

If it is, how do I change it back to NTSC? The disc has one game save which I believe is a Evolution X mechassualt game save. I will try to softmod it with that.

Thank you.

I got the v2 disc you mentioned from the "usual places". I've read a lot about people having problems with it not working, one tutorial said you needed to create a dummy file, I can just use any dummy file generator, like the one I use fro Dreamcast, right?

Then I can burn it with ImageBurn, right?

Edited by Team Xlink, 19 September 2010 - 10:06 PM.

#5 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,751 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

yeah you can use an dummy file generator, its just a file to take up space, you can grab a ~100mb file off your computer somewhere and where rename it lol

the best way to burn would be to make an ISO with craxtion or a similar program, then burn that with IMGBurn

#6 Team Xlink

Team Xlink

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Sep 21 2010, 02:29 AM) View Post

yeah you can use an dummy file generator, its just a file to take up space, you can grab a ~100mb file off your computer somewhere and where rename it lol

the best way to burn would be to make an ISO with craxtion or a similar program, then burn that with IMGBurn

Thank you, I tried the disc, and it turns out it was for the wrong xbox.

After I had locked the drive and tried it in my Xbox it gave me an error code that after looking it up online tells me the drive is locked with an incorrect password. So I unlocked it.

I acquired another XBox in a craigslist trade, when I got it I found out that the xbox circle button (Usually green) had a blue led mod, and the controller also had a blue led mod.

Another strange thing I noticed is a black round plug on the back of the xbox, it looks like a rca plug accept the color is black instead or red, yellow or white. I opened up the xbox and saw the plug had two wires that ran under the motherboard, unfortunately this means I couldn't find out where it went. I think its a co-axel but I'm unsure.

I also got lucky because it has the 10gb Seagate hard drive and a Samsung dvd rive like my old one. The dvd drive was sticking so I swapped it out for my old one.

I really want to put my broken Xbox to use, I am not confident enough with my soldering skills to make an eeprom reader and I can't easily order multiple parts online.

Is there an easier way?

Thank you.

After looking online it turns out the strange connection on the back was a digital output as seen here:

http://www.xboxscene...ital-output.php

Edited by Team Xlink, 22 September 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#7 steveo1978

steveo1978

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

you could buy a chip for the xbox and just use that to setup the xbox and lock the hdd. You can also just send the xbox to some one that will fix the xbox for you.

#8 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE(Team Xlink @ Sep 23 2010, 03:25 AM) View Post

I really want to put my broken Xbox to use, I am not confident enough with my soldering skills to make an eeprom reader and I can't easily order multiple parts online.

Is there an easier way?

Solderless eeprom reader: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=645714. Reuse parts or substitute them for whatever available: http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4502189

Edited by ldotsfan, 23 September 2010 - 12:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users