#1 ibtAutumn

ibtAutumn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:28 AM

Greetings! I've been a lurker on the forums for a good 2-3 years, made this account but didn't really have a chance to use it (suppose I do now though).

Alrighty, so I've currently got a Zephyr (Bladed/Pre-NXE dash) getting ready to be JTAG'd for personal use. Having read up on where to solder wires and diodes, how to make a proper LPT cable, and the usual protocols for flashing/reading and whatnot, I'd say its about ready to be opened up and gone at. However, there are a few things I'm a bit more than curious about:

A: I plan on using a large sized hdd, however, I'm torn as to whether usb or a 5400rpm laptop hdd would be more beneficial, performance wise. The ideal size of the drive I'm hoping to pick up is 500GB - 1TB, but it'd be fantastic if I could be pointed in the right direction

and B: Seeing how this /is/ a Zephyr and its likely to get pretty hot in the case, I had thought about adding either 2 wisely placed 60mm fans on/near the heatsinks or, a larger 120mm fan in the same area. The dvd drive will be made external by placing it in an HDDVD enclosure and wiring through a DVI cable, so there'll be plenty of room for air circulation and all.

I apologize for the wall of text, but, being prepared is on my list of priorities for this box. Thanks for any potential replies~

Edited by ibtAutumn, 24 September 2010 - 02:29 AM.

#2 Glrd

Glrd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:11 AM

I would add a small fan ontop of the gpu heatpipe part. Or do what I did and add a larger quieter fan in the same spot but external. I'll post pics when I get on my comp.
I would 12v the fans using grim's method. Listed under faqs and tuts on the hardware modding section. And a fan shroud mod

#3 bluntted

bluntted

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

I've got a Zephyer that I just recently jtagged. I was trying to decide like you to go with a 2.5" drive and put it in an old hdd case or just opt for a 500g external. I've decided to go with external because I can get an oem 500g locally for $40. I figure this will make it very easy to swap the rather large game files between my laptop and the drive without being bothered with ftping or the transfer cable.

Also you won't really need the dvd drive at all unless its your only 360. Otherwise I'd stick with a huge hdd plugged up to the rear usb. I've also added a 80mm fan over the gpu and will modding the shroud a bit this weekend.

Eh, that's my 2 pennies for whatever its worth. I'd recommend using the AUD clamp method since you have a zeph.

Edited by bluntted, 30 September 2010 - 01:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users