N00b Needs Help Replacing 360 Dvd Drive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 oraxthay

oraxthay

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Location:In the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.
  • Interests:The way water droplets come together as they run down a windshield.
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

So I've never done this before, but I think I'm at least close to doing it right. I've already used Firmware Toolbox 4.6 to back up the firmware from the original (Hitachi GDR-3120L-0059), but for some reason, whenever I try to make it read the new one (0079), whether I use RAW Dump or Classic Dump, it says "Cannot read from drive," even though Windows detects the drive and I can play a movie with it fine. Is it maybe because it's an 0079?

Help! I barely know what I'm doing!

#2 Buzzcut

Buzzcut

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

Use the latest Jungleflasher and read the guide.

As you've got a 79 you'll need to use the "Unlock CD", the download link is in the guide.

#3 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:02 PM

An easier rout would be to unplug the circuit board from your bad Hitachi drive and plug it into your new drive.

Should take less than a minute and no need to do any flashing.

#4 Buzzcut

Buzzcut

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

^this..

Completely missed the fact you were using a different drive.

#5 oraxthay

oraxthay

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Location:In the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

So, basically, I don't even need to mess with any firmware stuff and the spoofing tutorial I used for Firmware Toolbox (the specific tut I used is blocked here) is essentially worthless to me?

The thing I'm worried about with doing a hardware transplant is that I'm not exactly sure what was wrong with the original drive, whether it was a scratched laser or a bad motor or what -- it would read games for a little while, but after about 2 or 3 minutes, even for brand-new disks (both games and movies) in perfect condition, it would say it couldn't read the disk or just freeze.

Is the circuit board attached directly to the motor/laser assembly, or is it just plugged into it? And will a bad laser or motor matter in this situation?

Edited by oraxthay, 29 September 2010 - 09:59 PM.

#6 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(oraxthay @ Sep 29 2010, 04:56 PM) View Post

Is the circuit board attached directly to the motor/laser assembly, or is it just plugged into it? And will a bad laser or motor matter in this situation?

By just swapping the circuit board you will still have a new laser, motor and drive assembly. The only thing you will still have from your old drive is the green circuit board. This will most likely solve your issues without ever needing to do any flashing.

Just swap the board. It only takes a minute and you will know if that solves your problem right away.

#7 oraxthay

oraxthay

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Sep 29 2010, 06:07 PM) View Post

By just swapping the circuit board you will still have a new laser, motor and drive assembly. The only thing you will still have from your old drive is the green circuit board. This will most likely solve your issues without ever needing to do any flashing.

Just swap the board. It only takes a minute and you will know if that solves your problem right away.

OK, I've got the board from the old drive into the new drive, and now it won't play anything. I've double- and triple-checked to make sure it's all connected right, but no luck.

Is the board from the 0059 maybe incompatible with the 0079?

#8 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE(oraxthay @ Sep 29 2010, 06:51 PM) View Post

OK, I've got the board from the old drive into the new drive, and now it won't play anything. I've double- and triple-checked to make sure it's all connected right, but no luck.

Is the board from the 0059 maybe incompatible with the 0079?

All Hitachi drives are the same only the firmware is different. By swapping the board you made the firmware the same as your old one.

You must not have connected all the ribbon cables. There should be 4 of them. Also make sure you have the laser cable completely inserted and you have the brown clip pressed against the adapter that the cable is slid into. While you are at it make sure you did not pull loose the other end of the laser cable from the laser itself.

#9 360ballin

360ballin

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Sep 29 2010, 06:07 PM) View Post

will this work between a flashed drive and a stock? i ahev a flashed benq 1.4 Nonstealth in a RROD xbox, and just got a refurb with a benq form MS(round tray, white wire, didnt open it yet). cna i swtich the boards?

#10 oraxthay

oraxthay

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Sep 29 2010, 10:58 PM) View Post

All Hitachi drives are the same only the firmware is different. By swapping the board you made the firmware the same as your old one.

You must not have connected all the ribbon cables. There should be 4 of them. Also make sure you have the laser cable completely inserted and you have the brown clip pressed against the adapter that the cable is slid into. While you are at it make sure you did not pull loose the other end of the laser cable from the laser itself.

I checked -- there's a green one, two skinny blue ones, and a fat blue one that was glued to the bottom, and I had them all reconnected correctly, as far as I could tell. I also checked where it was plugged into the laser assembly, which seemed fine, too.

I started thinking maybe there was something wrong with the board, so I tried reconnecting it with the original drive, and now it won't play anything there, either.

I did notice that the little brown clip that holds the fat blue ribbon cable might be broken -- one side of the clip comes completely out of the little track it sits in, but it goes right back in. I'm not sure if that's the problem or if there's something else I'm missing.

#11 oraxthay

oraxthay

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:12 AM

So I figured out what I was doing wrong (or at least part of it) -- the short version is that I had the DVD drive plugged into the wrong SATA cable, which didn't actually go anywhere.

I have a new problem now, though. The board from the original 0059 is now in the replacement 0079 drive, and when in Mode B it can play movies fine in Windows, and I checked to make sure it displays as the 0059 in Firmware Toolbox with the original key, but if I reconnect it to the XBox, it won't play any DVDs and if I try to play a game, it brings up the message you get if you put a game in a regular DVD player -- the one saying "to play this disk, put it in a 360," or something like that.

What now? uhh.gif

#12 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:27 AM

You need to put the board from the bad drive (which I thought based on your orig post was the V79), into the drive that has the good laser (the v59)

Edit: Sorry, reread your first post. Sounds like you are doing it right. When you dumped the firmware from the V59 did you flash it with anything?

Edited by BigSteel, 24 October 2010 - 06:28 AM.

#13 oraxthay

oraxthay

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE(BigSteel @ Oct 24 2010, 01:27 AM) View Post

You need to put the board from the bad drive (which I thought based on your orig post was the V79), into the drive that has the good laser (the v59)
Edit: Sorry, reread your first post. Sounds like you are doing it right. When you dumped the firmware from the V59 did you flash it with anything?

Actually, the original was the v59 and the replacement was the v79. The v59's board is currently in the v79. Ranger said I didn't have to do any flashing if I just swapped out the boards, and Firmware Toolbox now thinks the v79 is a v59.

#14 oraxthay

oraxthay

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

bump

#15 oraxthay

oraxthay

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

Bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users