Photo

Xbox Scene Becoming Worse?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Poll: Have the xbox scene forum gotten worse from when you first joined?

Have the xbox scene forum gotten worse from when you first joined?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 the_Watchers_eye

the_Watchers_eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:03 PM

What do you think people, is it getting worse everyday/week? By the amount of questions, problems, members, etc....

Please post your opinions as well....

#2 Potenza

Potenza

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:CARS Racing, Computers and my children
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:07 PM

It used to be much more friendly....a lot less flaming and agressiveness.

Where are the times.....

Can it be modded?
The first matrix questions
The Baaah Tread
the binary code tread.....

#3 msn25

msn25

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:20 PM

its getting worse only because people are dick heads to those who dont know any better...

i cant begin to count how threads end up un-solved because someone BASHED the fuck out of the person asking the question...if they would have spent the same amount of time solving the question instead of ripping the guy a new ass...this site would be a MUCH BETTER PLACE...above and beyond its already warranted pennacle.

IMO

#4 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:43 PM

Yes but with occasional moments of fun from the older members.

#5 kard63

kard63

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:48 PM

I voted no, but I meant to vote yes. Lol. I think this poll doesn't have much of a point since we all started at different times. Why doesn't someone make a poll like
"Has the last week at XS seemed more fun than the gay 2 months before it?"

#6 The unProfessional

The unProfessional

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:See website....

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:49 PM

Gosh, it doesn't end, or start, with the xbox scene. While I was going through school, i'd get the occasional nasty assignment. The one that comes to mind was modifying the cpu scheduler in linux. It was tough as hell, as expected. So, I did alot of research in various linux and kernel forums. I got the same kind of aggression from people. So many people, especially on the web, and especially geeks, really claw at someone when they ask a simple question. Sometimes, it makes sense... let's face it, people online can be seriously cocky and rude when they feel "special" for already knowing something.

"How do I make a game like Splinter Cell?" -- deserves an ass kicking.
"I want to learn C++, can someone teach me?" -- deserves an ass kicking.

But asking a question about something that isn't immediately apparent is not a crime. Redirecting someone to the FAQ is just fine. It's okay to say "Man, why didn't you read the FAQ first... go HERE to read it."

it's not okay to start slandering and throwing curse words at the guy because he had a hard time soldering d0. But its ongoing... most likely, person A who slandered the hell out of person B probably received the same treatment from person C when HE got started. So, if people would get over their ego trips and stop being dicks, the perpetual "reamings" would eventually end.

Other than that, I think the scene is fine. Sometimes people get frustrated when other people are expressing their opinions about unrelated topics, such as the war in Iraq, in a contained thread. That doesn't make sense... there should be a place for everyday discussions. If you don't like the discussion in a thread, avoid that thread... ooooh.

But if someone asks a question, either answer them, or ignore them -- you make the call. But don't tell them how their mom has sex with piglizards... that gets us nowhere.

Ohh, and some people's sigs are WAYYY too long, even at 1280x1024... c'mon! haha beerchug.gif to kard

Edited by The unProfessional, 03 July 2003 - 10:50 PM.

#7 LinksAwakening

LinksAwakening

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (msn25 @ Jul 3 2003, 11:20 PM)
its getting worse only because people are dick heads to those who dont know any better...

i cant begin to count how threads end up un-solved because someone BASHED the fuck out of the person asking the question...if they would have spent the same amount of time solving the question instead of ripping the guy a new ass...this site would be a MUCH BETTER PLACE...above and beyond its already warranted pennacle.

IMO

I agree with this to a certain extent...

I respect people who post something like, "Is it possible to edit the default.xbe's for the 2 N64 Emulators to make them share the same ROM folders?". Although it may have been asked before, I can respect that question.

What I don't agree with about this comment is when people post questions like, "Hey... I just backed-up Brute Force to my PC, but when I burn it to DVD-R... it won't run. What gives?" Because this person could have saved himself and others the hassle by just looking at the PINNED THREAD at the top of the page on Patching for the Media Check.

As far as X-S becoming worse, I don't agree with that. There are still many intelligent threads going around... you just have to know where to look...

#8 kard63

kard63

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (The unProfessional @ Jul 3 2003, 06:49 PM)
Gosh, it doesn't end, or start, with the xbox scene. While I was going through school, i'd get the occasional nasty assignment. The one that comes to mind was modifying the cpu scheduler in linux. It was tough as hell, as expected. So, I did alot of research in various linux and kernel forums. I got the same kind of aggression from people. So many people, especially on the web, and especially geeks, really claw at someone when they ask a simple question. Sometimes, it makes sense... let's face it, people online can be seriously cocky and rude when they feel "special" for already knowing something.

"How do I make a game like Splinter Cell?" -- deserves an ass kicking.
"I want to learn C++, can someone teach me?" -- deserves an ass kicking.

But asking a question about something that isn't immediately apparent is not a crime. Redirecting someone to the FAQ is just fine. It's okay to say "Man, why didn't you read the FAQ first... go HERE to read it."

it's not okay to start slandering and throwing curse words at the guy because he had a hard time soldering d0. But its ongoing... most likely, person A who slandered the hell out of person B probably received the same treatment from person C when HE got started. So, if people would get over their ego trips and stop being dicks, the perpetual "reamings" would eventually end.

Other than that, I think the scene is fine. Sometimes people get frustrated when other people are expressing their opinions about unrelated topics, such as the war in Iraq, in a contained thread. That doesn't make sense... there should be a place for everyday discussions. If you don't like the discussion in a thread, avoid that thread... ooooh.

But if someone asks a question, either answer them, or ignore them -- you make the call. But don't tell them how their mom has sex with piglizards... that gets us nowhere.

Ohh, and some people's sigs are WAYYY too long, even at 1280x1024... c'mon! haha beerchug.gif to kard

awefully long-winded about stuff not so important

#9 The unProfessional

The unProfessional

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:See website....

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:54 PM

I addressed the topic directly, kard. You're just bitter because I teased you about your sig. Another example of people taking things too personally.

#10 Mage

Mage

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (LinksAwakening @ Jul 3 2003, 04:50 PM)
There are still many intelligent threads going around... you just have to know where to look...

Outside of general chat . tongue.gif

I'd say that general chat has declined, however at least for the most part it hasn't gone to the other forums.

Whenever I start to see excessivly stupid topics/posts, I just avoid general chat for awhile and it seems fine again...

#11 MrWizdumb

MrWizdumb

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:00 PM

a lot of ppl come to post in this part of the forum only, not anywhere else... thats killed it

#12 kard63

kard63

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (The unProfessional @ Jul 3 2003, 06:54 PM)

I addressed the topic directly, kard. You're just bitter because I teased you about your sig. Another example of people taking things too personally.

Honestly I thought I had never see you post before, ever. So I could not have been holding a grudge. I have a cat anus for an avatar and 2 cat anus's for a sig, I don't mind the teasing (or wahtever it was because I don't recall it).

EDIT: So you can shove you're example.

Edited by kard63, 03 July 2003 - 11:01 PM.

#13 anderj6

anderj6

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:02 PM

I'm a newer member that does not think it is too bad around here except for the flaming that is done to the noobs.

Maybe the ScreenSavers show brought too many new people here. Many of the people here seem to like being part of an exclusive little club. With techtv having a link to xbox scene maybe alot of people don't like feeling like they are part of a larger community.

#14 itsjustme

itsjustme

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:05 PM

well i think it has gotten nastier.
i am new to modding but have come to this site unregistered for a while.
i can see why people get mad at some dumb questions when people do not research shit themselves but some intelligent questions get flamed too.
"lets remove the noob forum" was silly as i have found alot of good info there.
that being said i have talked to quite a few people who are real helpful and cool.
maybe some of the flamers just need to go out more.

#15 switzch

switzch

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:06 PM

its getting worse cause there are no interesting topics and sigs are getting way to big.

specificly general.. used to be a nice cool place, now its getting old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users