• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deepa20

deepa20

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

I softmodded my 1.6 xbox. All went well. My old 1.0 matrix chip modded xbox finally bit the dust. I wanted to take that hard drive, and do the softmod once it was properly installed in the new 1.6 box.

I installed the softmod on the stock hd 1.6 box, and was able to run slayers installer. I unlocked the HD through slayers but never relocked it, then powered down. I did create backup first, but i never transfered it over to my computer through ftp.

So now I have an unlocked stock HD that gets error 5 if i try to boot. When it was locked, it booted to evox just fine.

It is my understanding that i need to lock that HD again, using xboxhdm, but i need the backup files which include the lock code and eeprom.

I read about making a hardware reader, which is well beyond my capabilities.

Is there anything I can do to lock this thing? If i lock it, i can ftp all the necessary files to my computer, use xboxhdm to make a boot disc, then get my old xbox hd ready to install into the new xbox.

My old modded xbox is dead. It sounds like the coma box. I read some fix somewhere, but i dont want to solder. If I get my old modded xbox working...is there any chance I can get the eeprom off of my new unlocked HD?

Thanks,

Mike

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

Depends which softmod you used. Good gamesave softmod installers take a copy of the eeprom automatically. If yours did, you need a copy of Xplorer360 beta 6, and use it on your PC to read eeprom.bin from the Xbox hard drive.

If not then you have to build an eeprom reader, or fit a chip.

#3 Darion3169

Darion3169

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:56 PM

Its fixable. Your going to have to reformat the drive and loose everything on it, but it will restore it to the stock drive without having to have the eeprom. Follow the directions on the link and you'll be up and running in no time. http://forums.afterd...view.cfm/548462 the guy that posted it saved my ass and did a good job with his tutorial

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

Nonsense.

His disk is already unlocked, so he needs the eeprom to lock it. The tutorial you linked to only works if the disk is already locked.

#5 deepa20

deepa20

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

OK...

I started the tutorial Darion mentioned before it was stated it didnt work. I finished the tutorial and i still get error 5 because the HDD isnt locked.

I am trying to access the HDD with xplorer360 but even though my computer sees the drive after hotswapping the dvd drive on my computer IDE cable to the xbox HDD, xplorer360 cannot access the drive.

How screwed am I now?

Any other ideas? Maybe the HDD is connected to the slave, not master...if this would even make a difference.

If i get this thing locked, i can softmod, backup the eep rom, use xboxhdm to lock my old hdd with the right code, then softmod that one. Giving me a modded xbox with a 120 gig hd...

At this point, i am willing just to buy a chip that works on 1.6. Whats the best one and are they even available anymore?

Mike

Edited by deepa20, 29 September 2010 - 09:43 PM.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

The disk is unlocked, so you don't need to hotswap.

Make sure you use Xplorer360 beta 6.

A Duox2 will work, and they are still available and cheap (have a look in BST), but fitting it is about the same level of difficulty as building an eeprom reader.

#7 deepa20

deepa20

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

It is beta 6.

If i am able to access the drive...will be eeprom.bin even be on there since i ran the tutorial above?

If the bin file is on there...what partition is it in?

Will I be able to grab the file from xplorer360?

I am in the dark...i miss the old solderless matrix chip.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:16 PM

Depends which options you selected, but you are right, it's increasingly unlikely that the eeprom will be on there. You'll just have to search around - it should only take 5-10 minutes.

#9 deepa20

deepa20

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:11 PM

Well i cant get the xplorer360 to read the drive so I am just leaving this be for today.

I may just be better off buying a used xbox and softmodding that one.

I really screwed up by not backing up the eeprom file. If I had done that, it would have been pretty easy.

Any other ideas welcome.

I tried Liveinfo and that didnt detect the drive either.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users