• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Broxi1979

Broxi1979

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

Could someone please provide a bit of guidance on the installation of a new 500Gb Hardrive? I have been messing with this for 3 days solid now with no luck.

Here is some additional info from another post I made on the subject
http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4739501

What I have at the moment is

1no Xbox (hard modded with cloned Xenium) ... I think.
EvoX M8 Bios
1 no Retail Hardrive
1 no Back-Up on Laptop (no desktop PC)
1 no. 500GB WD Hardrive
1 no. crossover cable (I can FTP to the Hdd)
FlashFXP
Auto-installer Deluxe v4.52
Auto-Installer Deluxe v2.1

Relevant screwdrivers to suit

Is this everything that would be needed to install the new hardrive, I have read something regarding LBA48 Support but I have no idea what this is and suspect my Xbox does not have it.

Can someone help us out on this before I mess this new harddrive up like my trial 120gb one. sad.gif

#2 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Sustainability, Playing music, Mountain Biking, Snowboard, Games, Micro Beer, Camping, River Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

do you have your backup of c drive and eeprom?

i would load up xboxhdm on a pc (might need a desktop though. never tried on a laptop) and build a new hard drive with your c and eeprom. since you have a hard modded xbox i dont think you need to lock the hard drive.

sounds like you might have formatted your drive with the wrong cluster size when messing with xbpartitioner. and are now getting data loss.

if you need help using xboxhdm (xbox hard drive maker) let me know.

#3 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

If you have a chip (hard) modded xbox, all you need is the slayers rescue iso.
Burn that to a medium that can be read by your xbox dvd drive.
Boot the xbox with the new blank harddisk connected, and the slayers disk in the drive.
Once you have set up your C and E partition, you will need the xbpartionner program to partition and format your F and G partition with a 32KB cluster size. You can ftp that over to the xbox harddisk.

The LBA48 is a bios (software feature). Without it, harddisks are limited to a size of 137GB.
So you should simply check the bios in your modchip to see if it's LBA48 compatible.
(Most modern modchip biosses are.)

You don't need xboxhdm, and you don't need the eeprom as a chip modded xbox will also boot an unlocked harddisk.

Every partition with a size bigger than 256GB needs to be partitionned with xbpartionner. There are simple tricks to check the cluster size of a partition.

regards.

#4 Broxi1979

Broxi1979

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(dballs442 @ Sep 30 2010, 07:26 PM) View Post

do you have your backup of c drive and eeprom?

i would load up xboxhdm on a pc (might need a desktop though. never tried on a laptop) and build a new hard drive with your c and eeprom. since you have a hard modded xbox i dont think you need to lock the hard drive.

sounds like you might have formatted your drive with the wrong cluster size when messing with xbpartitioner. and are now getting data loss.

if you need help using xboxhdm (xbox hard drive maker) let me know.

I've had a look at the XboxHDM application and you're correct in what you are saying, that the problem is I have a laptop and no desktop, so I don't think this route is available to me.

Thanks for the info on the xbpartitioner, that might be what I have done here.

#5 Broxi1979

Broxi1979

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(obcd @ Sep 30 2010, 08:13 PM) View Post

If you have a chip (hard) modded xbox, all you need is the slayers rescue iso.
Burn that to a medium that can be read by your xbox dvd drive.
Boot the xbox with the new blank harddisk connected, and the slayers disk in the drive.
Once you have set up your C and E partition, you will need the xbpartionner program to partition and format your F and G partition with a 32KB cluster size. You can ftp that over to the xbox harddisk.

The LBA48 is a bios (software feature). Without it, harddisks are limited to a size of 137GB.
So you should simply check the bios in your modchip to see if it's LBA48 compatible.
(Most modern modchip biosses are.)

You don't need xboxhdm, and you don't need the eeprom as a chip modded xbox will also boot an unlocked harddisk.

Every partition with a size bigger than 256GB needs to be partitionned with xbpartionner. There are simple tricks to check the cluster size of a partition.

regards.

Thanks for all this info OBCD!

This might seem like a dumb question but how do I check the BIOS?

I had a look at the settings under "system configuration" on my old HDD with the EvolutionX dash, it says something like..

Bios Version - (256)EvoX M8
Kernel Version - 1.00.5853.01
Xbox Hardware Info - 00000200 A3 D4

What I do know is that when I boot up XBpartitioner on my old HDD, it tells me that LBA48 is not found on my BIOS. So I guess the real question is, what BIOS do I need for this xbox and how do I flash my Bios?

Before I even think about an upgraded hardrive, right? (although that doesn't explain why my 120Gb one isn't working)

One other point which I don't know if it's relevant, if I go to Launch Applications and select the "Xenium" application, a black screen appears with the message "you have a cloned fake Xenium" ... do you think this might be an issue?

#6 Broxi1979

Broxi1979

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

I notice this version of AID has BIOS Flashing Menu that contains the options...

Flash with 256K BIOS
Flash with 512K BIOS
Flash with 1mb BIOS

with a list of bios in each including

EvoX M8+
EvoX M8+ 137gb+
EvoX M8+ FC
EvoxX M8+ FC 137gb+

Then ones for version 1.6, etc

All of this means nothing to me but would it be too simplestic to think that I can just select one of these and AID will flash my BIOS without anything else needed.

Or am I about to create a fancy plastic paper weight? biggrin.gif

Edited by Broxi1979, 30 September 2010 - 09:04 PM.

#7 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

A picture of your modchip might help a lot. Most modern modchips have multiple bios banks.
If you flash the wrong bios in a bank, you can choose to boot from the bios of another bank.
This minimises the possibilities to create a paper weight.
It's hard to say if your AID is capable of flashing your modchip. The updating of the bios of a modchip is very modchip specific. You also need to know if you need a 256MB bios or a 512MB one.

regards.

#8 Broxi1979

Broxi1979

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:22 PM

Update:

I used the Slayer Disc to prep and install EvolutionX on my 120Gb hard drive. It seems to be a very basic older version of Evolution X, not like the one AID installs and has the bare basic apps with it.

Partitions
C: 500mb
E:5Gb
F: 110Gb

It installed the apps and emulators on the F drive which is a first and I've been able to play Super Mario World on ZSNES.

I ftp'd over a copy of SSX On Tour which I have, the only game file I have at the moment, I'm using this for testing because I know that it ran fine on my retail HDD. However, it just hangs at a black screen when I try to run it on this install.

I also managed to install UnleashX and Avalaunch using the AID disc, the same game file had a black screen with a faint loading icon from the game in the bottom corner but hung like that.

I'm at a loss now, only hoping that my new 500gb drive will be different or I the BIOS flash will make the difference when I do that.

#9 Broxi1979

Broxi1979

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:10 AM

My chip must have been installed a good 4-5 years ago, I never kew what type was installed and tbh, I have no idea what I'm looking for but I took some pics of some bits inside my xbox, you can have a look and see if you recognise anything.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.co...07774/lightbox/

Probably taking pics of the completely wrong thing.

Almost everything I've checked has told me my BIOS is (256)EvoX M8 ... I was assuming the 256 meant 256k and the logical upgrade was M8+ ... thank you for the warning.

#10 Broxi1979

Broxi1979

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:04 AM

Another quick question, what does the FC stand for in the BIOS file names?

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:08 AM

It means it looks for its dash (evoxdash.xbe) first on F:\ then on C:\.

Second photo, over on the LHS just below the IDE connector, the small PCB with the green wire leading to it is your chip. Take a close-up.

#12 Broxi1979

Broxi1979

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:20 AM

Ahh bugger it, I got fed up and hit the Flash Bios button and opted for 256k Evox M8+ FC.137+

Looks like it went OK, my system settings show that as my BIOS now (phew ... lol)

Anyway, does that mean I now have LBA48 support with my BIOS?

XBPartitioner no longer moans at me for not having it!! smile.gif

#13 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:22 AM

Yes, you now have LBA48.

#14 Broxi1979

Broxi1979

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 1 2010, 01:08 AM) View Post

It means it looks for its dash (evoxdash.xbe) first on F:\ then on C:\.

Second photo, over on the LHS just below the IDE connector, the small PCB with the green wire leading to it is your chip. Take a close-up.

Heimdall, you must have posted this just as I did the update ... I know you're pretty much a legend when it comes to these things.

Have I done the right thing by flashing?

#15 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:37 AM

Yes, you're fine. Evox M8+ is a good BIOS.

Just make sure you format the new disk with XBPartitioner 1.1, and check the cluster size with Evox once it's done. You can format it as you wish - just run it, then press A to cycle between the standard layouts:

- F up to 137GB - no G
- All F
- F up to 137GB - remainder in G
- F:G 50:50.

Once you have selected your preferred layout, press Start to write the partition table to the disk, or press Back twice to quit. Note that you'll lose all data on F and G.

Once you've done that you'll need to check the cluster size - you need 16kB for partitions up to 256GB, 32kB for 256-512GB, and 64kB for partitions 512-1024GB. Fire up Evox as an application, edit the skin / config so you can see the free space on F and G, then FTP a 1 byte file to the F and G partitions. The drop in free space is the cluster size.

There is a small glitch with the way XBPartioner 1.1 works. Because the drive was previously formatted and was the same size then XBPartitioner 1.1 sometimes doesn't reformat with the right cluster size. So, if the cluster size is too low then then you need to run XBPartitioner 1.1 and reformat the problem partition again twice. Make the problem partition smaller (press D-pad left, or right, can't remember which), reformat, then start XBPartitioner again and make the partition bigger again, and reformat. Check again with the 1 byte file, just to be certain that you now have 32k clusters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users