• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DenominatorX

DenominatorX

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:10 AM

I have an official 250gb XBOX 260 HD. I bought a transfer cable and plugged it in and the xbox so I could transfer my 20GB contents over to the 250gb HD and the XBOX told me it needed to reconfigure it to use it - i hit yes, and it now only shows up as a 16gb external hard drive. I can't use it as a regular hard drive - it will only work if I use the transfer cable.
I can't find info on how to fix this anywhere -

Is there a way to reformat this HDD so that I can still use it to play XBOX live and whatnot?

Edited by DenominatorX, 05 October 2010 - 07:14 AM.

#2 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(DenominatorX @ Oct 5 2010, 09:10 AM) View Post

I have an official 250gb XBOX 260 HD. I bought a transfer cable and plugged it in and the xbox so I could transfer my 20GB contents over to the 250gb HD and the XBOX told me it needed to reconfigure it to use it - i hit yes, and it now only shows up as a 16gb external hard drive. I can't use it as a regular hard drive - it will only work if I use the transfer cable.
I can't find info on how to fix this anywhere -

Is there a way to reformat this HDD so that I can still use it to play XBOX live and whatnot?

Did you use the MS transfer kit with the genuine software in it? Are you sure you followed the installation instructions included?

#3 DenominatorX

DenominatorX

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(MadMaxGR @ Oct 5 2010, 02:58 AM) View Post

Did you use the MS transfer kit with the genuine software in it? Are you sure you followed the installation instructions included?

I bought a 3rd party transfer cable from ebay- when I plugged in the hard drive and went to "memory" on the xbox, it said it needed to format it or something. There weren't any options other than to say Yes or cancel. I forget the exact working. I figured that the XBOX needed to reconfigure it so it could prepare it to transfer the files but instead it formatted it to Fat 32 - and it only shows up with 16gb of space.

I'm not positive I did anything wrong, but if I did - are there any suggestions to fix what has happened so I can use this 250gb hard drive as my primary hard drive on a non-modded system?

#4 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE(DenominatorX @ Oct 5 2010, 10:03 AM) View Post

I bought a 3rd party transfer cable from ebay- when I plugged in the hard drive and went to "memory" on the xbox, it said it needed to format it or something. There weren't any options other than to say Yes or cancel. I forget the exact working. I figured that the XBOX needed to reconfigure it so it could prepare it to transfer the files but instead it formatted it to Fat 32 - and it only shows up with 16gb of space.

I'm not positive I did anything wrong, but if I did - are there any suggestions to fix what has happened so I can use this 250gb hard drive as my primary hard drive on a non-modded system?

Well.... yes you did. FAT 32 is not the format that you should format the HDD, FAT is used only for USB storage. Also to transfer the old 20Gb to the new drive you either do it with the genuine MS software or either thru your PC.

EDIT: To reformat the HDD to original size, plug it properly on the HDD slot of your XBOX and format it from your dashboard as you should from the beginning. That should work.

Edited by MadMaxGR, 05 October 2010 - 08:22 AM.

#5 DenominatorX

DenominatorX

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(MadMaxGR @ Oct 5 2010, 03:21 AM) View Post

Well.... yes you did. FAT 32 is not the format that you should format the HDD, FAT is used only for USB storage. Also to transfer the old 20Gb to the new drive you either do it with the genuine MS software or either thru your PC.

EDIT: To reformat the HDD to original size, plug it properly on the HDD slot of your XBOX and format it from your dashboard as you should from the beginning. That should work.

So there's no way to re-format this hard drive so it is read properly?

#6 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(DenominatorX @ Oct 5 2010, 10:25 AM) View Post

So there's no way to re-format this hard drive so it is read properly?

I think I just told you!!! duh!!! Plug it regularly , not with USB and thru the menu reformat it!

#7 DenominatorX

DenominatorX

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(MadMaxGR @ Oct 5 2010, 09:13 AM) View Post

I think I just told you!!! duh!!! Plug it regularly , not with USB and thru the menu reformat it!

Ahh yeah, I guess I didn't see that part before you edited it. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me - when I plug it in to the regular hard drive spot it says there is no device attached.

#8 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE(DenominatorX @ Oct 5 2010, 06:38 PM) View Post

Ahh yeah, I guess I didn't see that part before you edited it. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me - when I plug it in to the regular hard drive spot it says there is no device attached.

I don't know how did you manage to screw it up like this, but seems like the .bin data are missing. So... you need to use the hddhckr utility to inject a new 250GB .bin data file into your HDD, to restore it to normal capacity. Google it for further info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users