1 reply to this topic

#1 niccador

niccador

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

I've got a DVD-less JTAG system in severe need of additional cooling, and was going to add a few fans.
Now, on previous systems, the most I've done is a 12v mod on the stock fans, splicing them into the DVD power line. But I don't know how much I can draw from that line, given the fact that there's no DVD drive on this system.

My plan is to 12v the stock fans (3-pin), and add a 90mm fan directly above the GPU (a Thermaltake TT-8025, if that matters to anyone), and a 60mm fan near the CPU (a Vantec AFB0612EH).

All fans are 12v, obviously, and if I've done my math right, would draw a total of close to 1500mA.
Without the DVD drive in play, do you think I can get away with splicing it all into the dvd power cable, or do I need to move to an external source? (I'm trying to avoid any additional soldering on the motherboard.)

#2 niccador

niccador

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

Sorry, for the double posting, but can't edit my original.... :-/

I actually took notice of the power ratings on the DVD drive, which state that it's a 12v/1.5A device.... So, seeing as it can handle the DVD drive with the "normal" 12v mod, then I would safely assume that it can handle 1.5A worth of fans on it's own...

Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users