• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Xbtera

Xbtera

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

Ok so usually I can fix a nand error pretty easily but this issue is stumping me..

I have 2 versions of my nand:
updflash which is my freeboot image.. The closest thing I have to the original nand sad.gif
and flashdmp which is self explanatory.

The updflash when opened does not show any bad blocks

It shows like this:
IPB Image

However this exact nand when flashed to the jtag then dumped somehow has bad blocks.

This flashdmp is a dump almost directly after flashing the no bad block nand.
IPB Image

I don't understand how it can be flashed with a perfect nand, then still produce bad blocks in the dump.

I'm also having issues with the jtag which I assume is a product of the bad blocks. Occasionally it will restart for no reason and without warning.

I have a few images from my old xenon jtag if maybe using it as a donor nand will help.. Idk.

If someone can come up with a working solution I will be more than happy to pay smile.gif

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

A bad block is not something that's specifically in an image, but rather within the NAND itself which requires the modification of an image in order for it to work properly.

The first image is a generated image. It won't have bad blocks by default. However, when it's flashed to the NAND and read back it can have bad blocks. This is because certain sectors of the NAND are corrupted or unwritable/unreadable, so the data which is supposed to go in those sections is moved to the reserved area so that it can be used.

The restarting could be the result of a short on the motherboard or a finicky power supply. It's not necessarily the result of bad blocks.

#3 Xbtera

Xbtera

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Oct 19 2010, 08:50 AM) View Post

A bad block is not something that's specifically in an image, but rather within the NAND itself which requires the modification of an image in order for it to work properly.

The first image is a generated image. It won't have bad blocks by default. However, when it's flashed to the NAND and read back it can have bad blocks. This is because certain sectors of the NAND are corrupted or unwritable/unreadable, so the data which is supposed to go in those sections is moved to the reserved area so that it can be used.

The restarting could be the result of a short on the motherboard or a finicky power supply. It's not necessarily the result of bad blocks.

Ok. Should I try moving the bad blocks?

I really have no experience with bad blocks so this is new to me tongue.gif

The power supply is fine.. I use it on my flashed all the time with no issue.. Going to check the mb now for shorts.

#4 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

If you look at the Degraded analysis of your image it states that the bad block has already been moved. I am assuming this is because of how you flashed (with Flash360 or XeLLous, which automatically move bad blocks), so you don't have to move anything. If you were going to flash via LPT or USB SPI you would need to manually move the blocks, but that's not the case here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users