• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 raiderxx

raiderxx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:13 AM

Just acquired a free 360 that has the red ring of death. I've taken it all apart, and I plan on evening out the airflow on the heatsinks through the shroud, as well as arctic silver thermal compound, and maybe overvolting the the stock fans to 12V. Will this be enough to fix it...?

#2 K1Kingy

K1Kingy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:14 AM

More than likely no. You may get away with doing the xclamp fix. Although I suggest you just get a reflow done

#3 raiderxx

raiderxx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

What does reflow mean?

#4 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

do x-clamp and defo 12 volt it may sound like a jet but it defo helps the temp a refloe is heating cpu and gpu melting the solder then adding flux (makes solder less prone to cracking and coming lose)

#5 raiderxx

raiderxx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(turbocrow @ Oct 21 2010, 10:59 AM) View Post

do x-clamp and defo 12 volt it may sound like a jet but it defo helps the temp a refloe is heating cpu and gpu melting the solder then adding flux (makes solder less prone to cracking and coming lose)

I guess my only problem is since I'm at college, my access to my dremel and drill is limited to Christmas vacation.. So the x-clamp mod will be tough, because I have to drill the mobo and make two new aluminum backs right? And to refloe, I'd do the towel mod? Could I also just check each solder spot? Is flux something that I buy at the store? And man! Being a longtime pc modder/overclocker, I thought this would be simple! But there are new words and everything I need to learn! lol

#6 saint24

saint24

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

you dont need to cut holes for xclamp fix u just need the following

10mm m5 screws
m5 form a washers (steel)
artic silver (or better) paste

get your screw put a washer on put through xclamp holes then put another 2 washers on top do that for each xclamp hole

make sure paste is cleaned off thoroughly and a very thin layer of paste over the chips and dont forget to clean it off the heatsinks

modding the fan is a good idea quicker the heats out the longer it will last

reflows are generally expensive and not worth it for the time they last as now you can get a second hand xbox for less

best way is to watercool it

#7 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

you can re-flow by using a heathgun and also flux buy it on ebay search xbox flux and all you do is (it should come with a syringe) when heated you just pour the flux under the chip flux is non conductive and will run into the groves and stick to the solder so it is perfect and works well smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users