Photo

Need Help Adding To Extra Buttons(x And O)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 v1br4t1ons

v1br4t1ons

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

Hi everyone,newbie here smile.gif.
I recently bought a controller with custom mapping but i hate the analogs of that thing so i decided to add 2 extra buttons on my ps3 controller.
If anyone is so kind to give me a few pointers it would be much appreciated,here the pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

I looked in so many forums but this one is the only one i found the best info to go ahead with this project.
Whit kind of buttons should i get btw?

Thanks vibes.

Edited by v1br4t1ons, 23 October 2010 - 03:39 PM.

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,791 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:43 PM

You'll have to prep a couple of Vias to solder the X and O wires to, then you'll use TP18 for the common connection for them.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=648322

As far as the buttons go, that's a bit of personal preference, as long as you have the room for them and they are a Normally Open (N.O.) Momentary type you can really use whatever you like. The more common ones that are used are Tact switches like these. http://www.mouser.co...S...lxGEX2zSw==

Edited by RDC, 25 October 2010 - 03:31 AM.

#3 v1br4t1ons

v1br4t1ons

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Oct 24 2010, 11:43 PM) View Post

You'll have to prep a couple of Vias to solder the X and O wires to, then you'll use TP18 for the common connection for them.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=648322

As far as the buttons go, that's a bit of personal preference, as long as you have the room for them and they are a Normally Open (N.O.) Momentary type you can really use whatever you like. The more common ones that are used are Tact switches like these. http://www.mouser.co...S...lxGEX2zSw==

Thanks for replying.
I see soldering the vias will be complicaded so i'm thinking in using conductive glue like this:
http://www.maplin.co...=...O&U=Strat15
Will it work?Or should i solder it(i never solder before so i might damage the board lol)

IPB Image

Is this wht a should do?
vibes.

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:10 PM

That's not what you should do at all.

You need to scrape the masking off of the Vias to solder to them on the back side of the board.

I personally wouldn't use conductive glue as it's going to conduct anywhere it gets on the board and you'd still need to prep the Via so there was copper to glue it to so it could conduct, so there's no real advantage to using it here. Practice soldering on something else first to get the hang of it, and make sure you use some 30awg wire.

#5 v1br4t1ons

v1br4t1ons

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

Ok ,i have many ps3 controllers that i dont use and will practice with them today,sorry for being a noob RCD xD.

#6 v1br4t1ons

v1br4t1ons

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:20 PM

Got some practice on a xbox360 rrod i have and managed to solder a few times quite well.
Would you be so kind and point out in the pic the best places for me to solder?,sorry for being cheeky i just want to have this done befor Black ops cames out.
Vibes.

#7 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

My first reply has the link to the PS3 controller versions and TP spots (and Vias) thread, those are the best spots to use.

#8 v1br4t1ons

v1br4t1ons

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Oct 26 2010, 06:32 PM) View Post

My first reply has the link to the PS3 controller versions and TP spots (and Vias) thread, those are the best spots to use.

Sorry i missed it somehow xD,thanks again.
will do it tonight and let you know tomorow smile.gif.

#9 v1br4t1ons

v1br4t1ons

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:21 PM

Slight problem,i managed to solder the vias but whem messing around with the t18 i managed to pull it out :s,this is a slighty faulty controllers and i'm using for testing.its the tp18 very important?will my controller not work?
I will start working on a new DS3 anyway.

#10 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

Lifting most any TP spot, trace and certainly Via isn't ever a good thing. If you would lift the TP18 spot of your controller (pics in first post) then that would kill the X, O, [ ], /\, R1 and R2 buttons until it was repaired.

#11 v1br4t1ons

v1br4t1ons

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Oct 28 2010, 06:30 PM) View Post

Lifting most any TP spot, trace and certainly Via isn't ever a good thing. If you would lift the TP18 spot of your controller (pics in first post) then that would kill the X, O, [ ], /\, R1 and R2 buttons until it was repaired.

Do you have any tips to fix this,i've tried but didn't have much luck sad.gif.

#12 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

It depends on the controller version. If it's the one in your pics there then there are 2 Vias you can solder a jumper wire between and fix it, just trace out from the TP spot and you'll run into them.

Edited by RDC, 29 October 2010 - 11:06 PM.

#13 v1br4t1ons

v1br4t1ons

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(RDC @ Oct 29 2010, 11:05 PM) View Post

It depends on the controller version. If it's the one in your pics there then there are 2 Vias you can solder a jumper wire between and fix it, just trace out from the TP spot and you'll run into them.

Thanks it works smile.gif.
The controller is finished thanks for your help smile.gif.

#14 ktowntx41

ktowntx41

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE(v1br4t1ons @ Oct 30 2010, 04:30 PM) View Post

Thanks it works smile.gif.
The controller is finished thanks for your help smile.gif.

Maybe I'm just dumb but I really can't figure out which two leads to bridge :/
I also accidently pulled out my TP18 while putting the back cover back on and I tried to follow the leads but both times I tried, the controller acted funny

btw, I have the same model controller.. if I could get help on this, it would be greatly appreciated

#15 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

If you've pulled off the TP18 spot then you'll have to jumper over that and connect the Vias at each end of that trace run, something that will be much more difficult than soldering to the TP18 spot.

Edited by RDC, 30 November 2012 - 08:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users