X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:I'm not very interesting.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:05 AM

I've soft-modded 6 or 8 Xbox's and all went well until now. I screwed around and deleted the dashboard off an Xbox I'm trying to mod. I have the Mechassault exploit and the Splinter Cell exploit and can copy either one to a memory card. The problem is that I can't boot the MS dashboard to copy the exploits onto the hard drive. I get an error 21 when trying to boot the MS dashboard. I can boot a game with no problems. Are there any games that allow you to copy saves from the memory card to hard drive without going to the dashboard? I have a pretty extensive collection of retail games so there must be something here that will work. Thanks for the help!

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:10 AM

Any live-enabled game, Halo 2 (late 2004) or later. Unplug your Xbox network connection, load the game, start to set up a live connection. The first thing the game should do is update the dash, and once it's done that you can remove the game and reboot, then use the MS Dash to copy the gamesave, etc.

Use the Krayzie 1.1.1 gamesave - it makes it far less likely that you will end up in the same state in future.

#3 smokeydadog

smokeydadog

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:22 AM

Thanks for the response. I booted Halo 2 and tried to connect to Live. It says "Network problems. We cannot connect to Xbox Live..." My options are "Start Troubleshooter" and "Cancel". If I try to "Start Troubleshooter" then I get the same Error 21 message. Damn I suck!!!!

Also forgot to mention...I do have the eeprom.bin if it helps.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:34 AM

OK. Plug in your Xbox network connection, and try again with Halo 2!

#5 smokeydadog

smokeydadog

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:41 AM

Damn, still no luck. I go to Xbox Live and try to register a new account which kicks me out of Halo 2. As soon as that happens, it goes straight to the error 21 again. Maybe I can try a hotswap and restore my hard drive that way?

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

You shouldn't need to hotswap. Use xboxhdm and your eeprom, with Kingroach NDURE 3.1.

Just select your Kernel version under "Kernel Selection" and "Create XBOXHDM Installer" - leave all other options at default. If you don't know your kernel version just pick "Unknown Kernel".

Build your xboxhdm disc using the stock C from Slayers / AID / CASH (Slayers:SYSTEM\All\c\, or AID:Files\Dash\ms-c.zip, or CASH:\StockFiles\c\), and the Kingroach NDURE 3.1 files you just made. Rename ndure.htm to ndure (no extension), and place it in linux/ndure/ndure. Put the stock C in linux/C, and the Kingroach 3.1 files in linux/ndure (the Kingroach C and E directories and the ndure script should be immediately below this i.e. linux/ndure/C/ and linux/ndure/E/.) Put eeprom.bin in /linux/eeprom/

Boot with xboxhdm, select option 3 and type unlockhd -a to unlock the disk. Quit, select option 1 - boot VGA Console, then type xboxhd, then select option 2 - Rebuild C partition on existing Xbox drive. Once that has finished exit, then type xbrowser, run the ndure script, then select Option 1 - Install Ndure [Install only ndure files]. Exit the ndure script. Reboot the PC, select option 3 and type lockhd -a to lock the disk.

#7 smokeydadog

smokeydadog

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

That did it! Man, I really appreciate the help. You rock!

#8 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

Sounds complicated but the point I was going to make was how important it is to keep the installer/exploit game save(s) on the HDD for all time. That was advice I was given very early on here.

If you lose your main dash as long as you have the original game concerned that means you can always get to the installer dash and copy in your main dash (menu.xbe renamed to whatever your dash was called)) from the game save or, if necessary re-install, a whole new softmod.

Following that advice saved me from an Error 21.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users