• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nobb

nobb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:25 AM

So Ive spent most of the night trying to figure out how to get this softmod to work, but still no luck. Im following all the instructions perfectly, but up to the point where I try to install Ndure, I get this cp: Read error: Input/output error (refer to the screenshot):

IPB Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've seriously tried everything, from using Ndure 3.1 and 3.0 and different discs to reading a whole variety of sites with instructions on this. Still no luck. The Xbox is not bootable and I have to end up restoring the C drive everytime. I've attempted to also shift through the main thread on this softmod but the search function doesnt work that great. The error code isnt exactly that intuitive so Im wondering if anyone knows what's going on? My Xbox was used and the previous owner took it apart, but Im not sure what was done to it.

Tips would be great.

My specs:
K: 1.00.3944.01
D: 1.00.5960.01

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:04 PM

Your computer can't read the required files from your CD.

There are lots of possible options:
- your xboxhdm CD isn't built properly and has files missing (see this post for a summary).
- your CD burning software isn't great - try using DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0
- try burning the CD at different speeds
- your PC CD drive is on the way out, or doesn't like the brands of CD you're using

#3 nobb

nobb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:33 PM

Tried your suggestions, no luck.

Ive tried using DVD Decrypter, burning at the lowest speed, different DVD drive in the computer, different download for xboxhdm, still no luck. Im totally out of ideas now.

Is it possible to just use Xplorer360 to just drag and drop the necessary files into the hard drive to softmod it? All I want to accomplish is to be able to boot into XBMC.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:14 PM

Did you rebuild the xboxhdm 1.9 iso as described in the post I linked to earlier? In particular, are you using the ndure script generated by Kingroach NDURE 3.1?

Are you getting the same errors every time?

#5 nobb

nobb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

Yes, and the only difference I did this time was to copy the directory in Slayers:\SYSTEM\All\c\ into linux/C. This time, my attempt to do the softmod by first rebuilding the C resulted in even more read errors in a variety of different directories.

The errors this time (no such directory):

/CD/ndure/C/xodash/*.xbe
/CD/ndure/C/xodash/ernie.xtf
/CD/ndure/C/xodash/xbox.xtf
/CD/ndure/C/media/*
/CD/ndure/C/bios/*
/CD/ndure/C/*.xbe
/CD/ndure/E/dash/*
/CD/ndure/E/NKP11/*

Luckily I can restore my original C each time this fails since it's backed up.

Im summary, it seems that there are read errors each time, but in different directories depending on the method I use to create the Ndure files. I've tried with both Ndure 3.0 and Ndure 3.1. This is weird though because when I open the CD on my computer using the same DVD drive, these directories clearly exist.

Edited by nobb, 28 October 2010 - 11:45 PM.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:54 PM

Here's the tutorial for using Xplorer360 instead of xboxhdm.

#7 nobb

nobb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:18 AM

Tried xplorer360 but the application just crashed on my Windows XP machine. I had to restore my xbox's C: using xboxhdm which I loaded off a bootable USB key. In the meantime, I tried running the ndure method from the USB and still, same read error.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:31 AM

When you say you tried running "the ndure method from the USB", do you mean you used xboxhdm 2.1/2.2? If not, give that a try.

Also, make sure you use Xplorer360 beta 6 - some of the other versions don't work.

#9 nobb

nobb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:42 AM

Thanks for your help so far.

When I mean "ndure method from usb" I mean I tried the xboxhdm 1.9 method, but instead of burning to a CD I put it on a bootable USB (just incase there are issues with files being corrupted or the CD not burning correctly). I didnt know there was a xboxhdm version 2.2, I suppose I could give that a shot. Although I have a strange feeling that wont work either.

Lastly, I've just tried using FatXplorer 1.1 which detects the disk, but the program crashes right after. Any other FatX type programs that you guys could recommend I try?

After reading this forum further, Im wondering if you guys could recommend what would be the best way to obtain my eeprom since pretty much all my efforts in softmodding this thing is failing so far? The reason being is that the hard drive on my xbox is making a high pitched whining noise and sounds like it could die at any moment, so Id like to be prepared if incase it fails.

Edited by nobb, 29 October 2010 - 02:56 AM.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:00 AM

xboxhdm 1.9 doesn't work from USB.

xboxhdm 2.1/2.2 are designed to work from USB, and on PCs with only one motherboard IDE connection.

Did you try Xplorer360 beta 6?

You can get the eeprom by fitting a chip, or using an eeprom reader.

Edited by Heimdall, 29 October 2010 - 03:01 AM.

#11 nobb

nobb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:07 AM

Yes, it was Xplorer360 beta 6.

I made an xboxhdm 1.9 bootable USB by mounting the linux.iso file manually then copied that over using an xcopy command to a properly formatted Fat32 USB key and it booted xboxhdm 1.9 perfectly on my hotswap machine. I use this method to copy bootable iso's to USB all the time to install Windows and whatnot.

According to this thread here, XboxHDM2 requires the eeprom.bin file to work properly:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=649031

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:15 AM

It may work for Windows, but it doesn't work for xboxhdm 1.9, because while it might boot it's hard coded to run from a CD on one IDE connection, and have the Xbox hard drive on the other IDE connection (i.e. on the other cable). That's one of the reasons ldotsfan and scullc built xboxhdm 2.1/2.2, to get away from that limitation.

You can use xboxhdm 2.1 with hotswap in exactly the same way as you do with xboxhdm 1.9 i.e. without any need for the eeprom.

Edited by Heimdall, 29 October 2010 - 03:16 AM.

#13 nobb

nobb

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:29 AM

CRAP.

Ok so despite all my previous screwups, I was always able to restore the C: back to normal through the backup and boot into the OEM dash. Well, looks like this time I truly messed up...

I was playing with Xplorer360 and XBox360Commander trying to manually inject the C and E folders. I did make a backup of the OEM C drive, but something must have happened during the copying process because the C on my drive got wiped and I was unable to manually inject the files with either application. Now I have a corrupt drive, so I tried to hotswap and boot into xboxhdm then run the "xboxhd" tool to erase and rebuild my partitions. After rebuilding my partition with option 5, I select option 1 to rebuild the C: but I get the error:

"no xbox-partition table found on /dev/hda"

Now Im stuck. The drive is corrupt and I'm not sure if it's possible to restore it. Heck, Im not even sure to what extent the drive has been wiped or whether the eeprom.bin file is still even present on the drive sad.gif

Edited by nobb, 29 October 2010 - 05:44 AM.

#14 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:43 AM

eeprom.bin wasn't on the drive to start with. eeprom.bin is a copy of the eeprom from the motherboard, and only appears on the disk after you've taken a backup, and with a hotswap you can only do that AFTER you've done the softmod.

If your disk is broken (which is always a risk with repeated hotswapping) then you need to fit a chip, or build an eeprom reader to get the eeprom, then build a new disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users