X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:05 AM

Those look good..
Covers for DeadBabies & DeadBabies Xtreme? jk ha Im sure youv seen these.
http://img401.images...deadbabies1.jpg
http://img534.images...deadbabies2.jpg
When you get to the less popular Hombrew games its gonna get a more difficult for you to find good images,Im looking right now with no good outcomes...
http://www.thecoverp...?cover_id=11461

http://www.biniax.com/
perhaps you can do something with that border on top...small I know!

@Guybird, good stuff gonna play around with those fanart images...

Edited by ultimate509, 30 October 2010 - 08:25 AM.

#17 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

Yeah, that's the main problem right now. Those boxes suck, so I'll have to make something from scratch. I'm only going to make a Dead Babies Xtreme cover since it's pretty much pointless to own both versions. The first one was really buggy and as far as I know Xtreme was just released as a fixed version.

I should have some time to work on more today at some point, but I have a lot of costume making, junk eating, and beer drinking to do. I will say that Hexen and Wolfenstein 3D are next.

By the way, I figure I might as well bring it up here so we're all on the same page - if anyone can think of a catchy name for those "Homebrew" rips like the Mortal Kombat Triple pack and other games ripped from Midway Arcade Treasures discs, I'd appreciate it. You know, instead of XBOX LIES, something like XBOX RIPS. That way we can better categorize game rips like DOA 1 and Panzer Dragoon. They're not exactly official "single" Xbox games, but they aren't unofficial ports. They're that damn fork in the road and I keep getting stuck when I think about where to go with them. DOA 1 did have a disc of its own and official boxart, but I use the DOA1 XBE from the DOA 2 Ultimate disc...it saves about 4 gigs on my HDD.

I was thinking about something like XBOX RIPS, but I'd like something with a better ring to it.

#18 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:49 PM

Finished Hexen and Wolf 3d today. Wolfenstein was a big pain and I had to crop out a bunch of stuff and do a ton of touchup work. But it turned out pretty good in the long run.

IPB Image IPB Image

I'm going to work on another Wolfenstein 3d one, and then boxes for Doom Legacy and DoomX. Yeah, I decided I might as well get DoomX out of the way so it doesn't bug me. Anyway, here's two more. Happy Halloween!

IPB Image IPB Image

#19 ultimate509

ultimate509

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:54 PM

Mortal Kombat Pack
http://img251.images...lkombatpack.jpg
Just add the words "pack" somewhere..., still wanta see you do your own though...with better art...

#20 ressurectionx

ressurectionx

X-S Knowledgebase

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 03:27 AM

You got the Rx seal of approval l11l1VeNoM1l11l cool.gif

#21 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Oct 30 2010, 07:27 PM) View Post

You got the Rx seal of approval l11l1VeNoM1l11l cool.gif

SWEEEEEEEEEET! Very honored. I'm putting the links to the templates in my sig right now, so if anyone wants to help please feel free!

#22 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

Alright, I am officially stuck. I'm leaving it up to you guys to lead me in the right direction.

I started this off with the intention of officially "categorizing" the homebrew games for Xbox, but now I'm running into an issue. I want to do the same thing for all of the game rips like those from Midway Arcade Treasures. For example - the Mortal Kombat Triple Pack, Primal Rage, Panzer Dragoon, DOA 1, and so on. And the hacked games like the Halo Conversion Pack, Halo 2 AI Revision, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Retextured, DOA Volleyball Nude, etc.

What's killing me is that I don't know what to call them. I called the Homebrew games LIES because it was a catchy play on words with Xbox LIVE.

I was thinking about calling the ripped games "RIPS" but it doesn't really go with the whole LIES idea. And I could easily call the hacked games MODS or HACKs or something, but again...I might as well just change LIES to HOME or BREW. (Trying hard to stick to 4 letter words).

So then I got the idea...

I'll keep LIES the way it is.

I'll call the ripped games FIBS (a fib is a small, insignificant lie whereas the ripped games aren't quite homebrew ports).

I'll call the modded/hacked games FAUX (an alteration of the truth - as they are modified official Xbox games, but not quite homebrew titles).

Let me know what you think. I'm still working on the boxes either way, I'm just not sure how to categorize them into 3 separate types of games. Each top "LIVE" bar will be different colors. LIES bars will stay blue. FIBS bars will be red. FAUX bars will be yellow.

I will also be making a green PURE bar for official titles for those who want to use it, but I will not be applying it to official boxart myself. I don't see it as a necessary thing, but I know that Ultimate does, and some others may want to apply it to keep everything flush in their games menu. My games with an official LIVE bar will be staying as is, and those without LIVE support (no bar at all) will also be staying the way they are because I like things to look as official as possible.

But let me know what you think. I like the idea of keeping them under the LIES theme, but it's up to what you guys want to look at all the time when you browse through your games menu. If I have to change LIES to something else to make everything "fit" it's only a 5 minute job.

#23 guybird

guybird

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:02 PM

I feel your pain man. I know probably most people prefer to have all emulators and ports all in one big folder with the small square icons for them; to show off all their systems at once. But seeing as how most things have been ported, there are no more new games coming out, mostly just new revisions of old emulators, I think most of us are now in a collection phase. Personally when going through the 70+ systems emulated on the xbox (not including homebrew/original games) I've been trying to sort them out as much as possible, and categorizing stuff when possible. As is I've been working with an Arcade section (Arcade emu's like Coinops and FBL, ports of arcade games like Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat), a console section (atari's, nintendo's, sega's, etc), a PC Ports section (Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake etc, and I'm considering moving Scumm, Dosbox, TI-99, C64 and other pc emu's here too), and finally Homebrew for all other ports/original games that don't fall into the previous categories.

I really have no idea what ideas to give as far as naming goes, although your variations on Lies/faux/etc seem to be a good start. One thing though, I dunno about others, but the mods/variations on existing Xbox games (DOAV nude, GTA SA mods, Soul Calibur 2 mods, etc) I just leave in my games sections alongside the real thing. I don't see much point in moving the icons to a different area, but using your icons in my games section would definitely be something I would do. Worst come to worst though, you can just leave it with the original Xbox Live banner with your own custom art though, although you're probably better off with just "Lies". What we really need to do though, is to either find an existing one, or make a new spreadsheet of all Emulators/Ports/Homebrews that way we can kinda check off what has been done for each system (my icon style, xboxer's square icon style, your xbox lies covers, and finally fanart). I'll have to look/ask around and see if any of the RX crew has made such a spreadsheet, or if its something I'll have to build from scratch... Let me know if any of the artwork I've used would be useful for you, I know I've posted my old psd's, but those are much smaller than my new batch which would be more helpful with your covers I'd think.

#24 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:45 AM

QUOTE(guybird @ Nov 4 2010, 03:02 PM) View Post

I feel your pain man. I know probably most people prefer to have all emulators and ports all in one big folder with the small square icons for them; to show off all their systems at once. But seeing as how most things have been ported, there are no more new games coming out, mostly just new revisions of old emulators, I think most of us are now in a collection phase. Personally when going through the 70+ systems emulated on the xbox (not including homebrew/original games) I've been trying to sort them out as much as possible, and categorizing stuff when possible. As is I've been working with an Arcade section (Arcade emu's like Coinops and FBL, ports of arcade games like Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat), a console section (atari's, nintendo's, sega's, etc), a PC Ports section (Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake etc, and I'm considering moving Scumm, Dosbox, TI-99, C64 and other pc emu's here too), and finally Homebrew for all other ports/original games that don't fall into the previous categories.

I really have no idea what ideas to give as far as naming goes, although your variations on Lies/faux/etc seem to be a good start. One thing though, I dunno about others, but the mods/variations on existing Xbox games (DOAV nude, GTA SA mods, Soul Calibur 2 mods, etc) I just leave in my games sections alongside the real thing. I don't see much point in moving the icons to a different area, but using your icons in my games section would definitely be something I would do. Worst come to worst though, you can just leave it with the original Xbox Live banner with your own custom art though, although you're probably better off with just "Lies". What we really need to do though, is to either find an existing one, or make a new spreadsheet of all Emulators/Ports/Homebrews that way we can kinda check off what has been done for each system (my icon style, xboxer's square icon style, your xbox lies covers, and finally fanart). I'll have to look/ask around and see if any of the RX crew has made such a spreadsheet, or if its something I'll have to build from scratch... Let me know if any of the artwork I've used would be useful for you, I know I've posted my old psd's, but those are much smaller than my new batch which would be more helpful with your covers I'd think.

This is how I have my programs folder set up right now:

IPB Image

Inside the Applications folder, I have programs such as DVD2Xbox, Linksbox and Linux.

I obviously keep my emulators in the emulators folder, but I too have the same problems with categorizing them. I'd love to put PC emulators in their own folder. Like ScummVM and DOSbox. I prefer naming the emulators by what they emulate, not by what they are actually called. ScummVM emulates games that ran primarily on DOS, but it's stupid to have 2 icons labeled MS-DOS. And I would hate to have DOOM and Duke Nukem 3d in the same folder as basic PC emulators. The only solution to the problem is to make CUT files and boxart for every single "rom", but that takes a ton of time...and I'm pretty sure cut files only work for certain emulators.

I keep my legitimate Xbox games in my Games folder, and all other types (homebrew, rips, mods, etc.) in the Homebrew folder, but I'm sick of looking at silly little ripped extras categorized as homebrew. The whole point in what I'm doing is so you can have ALL of the games in one folder while still maintaining good organization. The SAME thing can be achieved by simply creating boxart without any kind of theme, but then you can't tell which games are homebrew and which games are legitimate Xbox titles.

The checklists I've been using are the xbins FTP games directory and the homebrew section over at xboxisozone. I made a folder full of sub-directories named after each game that I need to make boxart for. As I find artwork for a game, the images go right into that game's folder.

As for arcade games and emulators, I'm not sure what to do. There are a TON of different arcade emulators, and then there's Xbox Live Arcade.

If Xbox Media Center allowed you to have...not sure how to word this...like a programs menu within your programs menu, everything would be much neater. Like have an Emulators folder, then have Sega, Nintendo, Arcade, etc. Sega would contain Genesis/CD/32x, Master System/Game Gear, and Dreamcast VMU. Nintendo would contain NES, SNES, Virtual Boy, GB/GBC/GBA, and N64. Arcade would contain all of the different types of arcade machines.

WAIT A SECOND I THINK I JUST FIGURED OUT A SOLUTION TO THIS! It takes work, but it could work. You can do exactly what I was just talking about with folders and .xbe shortcuts! Shouldn't take too much work, either.

So on your E or F drive, you'll have a folder called Emulators. Inside that folder, you'll have xSNES9x, MAMEox, Neogenesis, etc.

What you'll do is create separate folders (anywhere) named after each brand (Nintendo, Sega, PC, Arcade, etc.) Inside each of those folder, place .XBE shortcuts for each corresponding emulator. You can name the .xbe shortcuts anything, so you don't have to worry about keeping them all default.xbe, which would make this impossible. So...inside your Arcade folder, you'll have MAME.xbe (a shortcut that leads to MAMEOX's default.xbe), COINOPS.xbe (leading to Coinops's default.xbe), etc. This is tough to explain, but do you get it? I think that will solve our emu organizing problem.

I should point out that the Emulators folder inside the Programs Menu will no longer lead to the actual emulator folder, but the folder containing each brand name (PC, Arcade, Nintendo, Etc.) Crap...alright now I'm doubting myself, I have to go see if this actually works.

IT DOES!!!!! IT WORKS!!!! I wasn't sure if you would actually be seeing the .tbn files listed within the programs menu, but you don't...thankfully. So, yes...it works, and here's how you'd set it up:

Note - I used Halo 2 Killtrocity boxart as the arcade.tbn icon for the Arcade folder that will lead to the multiple Arcade emulators, just as a quick test. I used my dead or alive.xbe SHORTCUT (that leads to the DOA1.xbe file inside my Dead or Alive Ultimate folder, which is in the Games directory) also just as a test shortcut for the Arcade folder. You have to place the tbn file for the correct emulator inside each folder of shortcuts and name it after the .xbe shortcut. So inside the Arcade folder, I have the dead or alive.xbe shortcut AND the dead or alive.tbn image. This is an example of what placing a shortcut file to, say, MAMEox's default.xbe, naming the shortcut MAMEox.xbe and naming its icon MAMEox.tbn...all in the arcade folder. Here's a closer look:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

This officially allows us to categorize our emulators WAY better. We can now have all PC emulators within a folder INSIDE the emulators folder, all Arcade emulators inside their own folder, etc...all with icons. Now we can even have, for example, a Sega folder WITH a Sega logo that leads to all of the Sega emulators, all with their own icons. And all without having to worry about seeing stupid little files floating around in our programs menu

Edited by l11l1VeNoM1l11l, 05 November 2010 - 05:21 AM.

#25 guybird

guybird

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

That might actually be the way to go, as I was also looking into making dummy xbe's/cuts for unported systems like 3do/Saturn/Jaguar just to show them off. So if we were to take your idea and run with it, basically you'd throw all your emu's into your existing folder setup, and then create like a "Shortcuts" folder with all of the cuts/xbe's for each emu then sorted out however you preferred. This could be very easily done, but would take a lot of time, and its not something you could just package up and give out to others, as each person names their emu folders differently, as well as different locations (E, F or G). That's why I was trying to hold out for the scripting approach like RCB, but dunno if that will ever get to a point where I would use it.

#26 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE(guybird @ Nov 6 2010, 02:40 PM) View Post

That might actually be the way to go, as I was also looking into making dummy xbe's/cuts for unported systems like 3do/Saturn/Jaguar just to show them off. So if we were to take your idea and run with it, basically you'd throw all your emu's into your existing folder setup, and then create like a "Shortcuts" folder with all of the cuts/xbe's for each emu then sorted out however you preferred. This could be very easily done, but would take a lot of time, and its not something you could just package up and give out to others, as each person names their emu folders differently, as well as different locations (E, F or G). That's why I was trying to hold out for the scripting approach like RCB, but dunno if that will ever get to a point where I would use it.

I wish someone would just port the Jaguar and 3DO already. I can see why Saturn would be a bit too much for the Xbox to emulate considering the Saturn's complex hardware, but I used to have a Jaguar emulator on my Pentium III desktop that ran games like Wolfenstein and Tempest 2000 just fine. Speaking of Tempest, there's an AWESOME clone called Typhoon 2001 that I wish someone would port as well, but I don't know if the source is available.

Anyway, I'm sorry I haven't posted any new work. I've been really busy with work and trying to get my apartment sorted, plus I just got done wiping my desktop clean and setting everything back up...had a NASTY rootkit that I couldn't get rid of. I'm trying to start a new project as well, but it's brand-new so I don't know if it's going to takeoff. (Maximum Carnage OpenBOR, anyone?) I have the night off, so I'm going to do some housecleaning and try to get some boxes done.

I might also move this thread over to the XBMC4XBOX forums considering this place is getting staler by the minute. Problem is every time I try to get on those forums and post a topic the whole site is down.

I'm going to continue working here for the time being and I've decided I'm going to keep the LIES idea intact with FIBS and FAUX coming into play shortly. I already designed boxes for the Mortal Kombat Pack (renamed it Mortal Kombat Klassics), the Halo Conversion Pack, and started working on Halo 2 Killtrocity V2 and Halo 2 AI Revision. I just haven't made the FIBS or FAUX bars yet, so as soon as I get them out of the way I'll start posting again.

What would help is if anyone could find an Xbox LIVE font somewhere. It's a pain making your own letters.

#27 ultimate509

ultimate509

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:18 AM

http://img255.images...lkombatpack.jpg
good cover for MK Klassics

Edited by ultimate509, 07 November 2010 - 01:38 AM.

#28 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE(ultimate509 @ Nov 6 2010, 05:18 PM) View Post

http://img255.images...lkombatpack.jpg
good cover for MK Klassics

I saw that one when I was looking, too. It's a good pic, but I wanted something a little more vintage than that.

Sorry for the delay, but I'm back with 14 new fronts and 2 slightly revised ones. I upped the contrast in the Doom Online box and added the Open BOR icon (kind of sloppily) to the Asterix BOR box. I also finished the FIBS bar and a TRIX bar, which I decided to name the modded games, instead of FAUX. Makes a little more sense.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

I'm doing one more for Doom Legacy, but I'm really proud of the way the Doom X one came out. I wasn't planning to make anything for it, but it turned out to be my favorite one.

IPB Image [/URL] IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

I can't get rid of that little URL thing up there because it won't let me insert that many images at once during a post edit. Gotta post a little at a time.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Edited by l11l1VeNoM1l11l, 11 November 2010 - 07:05 AM.

#29 Xmodder deluX

Xmodder deluX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:40 AM

KILLTROCITY MAPPACK V1

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

KILLTROCITY MAPPACK V2

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

AI REVISION MAPPACK

Here are some pics of the Halo 2 Packs that I have. I think yours are better though! But you still need one for Killtrocity V1. wink.gif

#30 l11l1VeNoM1l11l

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:00 AM

Excellent. I was looking for more existing art for the Killtrocity mods, but all I could find outside of those first 2 were tiny little thumbs here and there. Thank you for uploading them! I finished the other Doom Legacy one I was working on. Now I'm going to focus on Killtrocity 1, DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball Nude, and a bunch of rips. I'm anxious to get Duke Nukem 3D and all of the other FPS games done as well. I will also be moving this topic over to XBMC4XBOX, I just wish they would get their site straightened out. Even today I couldn't get on there.

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users