• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GreatMightySymp

GreatMightySymp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

I'm having an issue where my Xbox 360 has a heavy-green hue over everything when I'm using the component cables. I'm using a Samsung TV, and it happens on 480p/720p/1080i (the TV doesn't support 1080p and it doesn't have HDMI). However, if I use the regular "SD" red/white/yellow cables it displays the colors normally, albeit with worse-looking text (since it's 480p).

Just recently started happening (I don't play it very often recently so it's not letting the thing getting overheated and melting stuff or anything like that). I can see blues fine, but reds are dark green and yellows are a darker yellow-ish green (leaning towards green but I can make out a difference between green and yellow since they're different hues). And in games where the scenery is dark, it's near impossible to make anything out (such as one of the houses in Aspio in Tales of Vesperia).

I'd expect there to be something up w/ the graphics card, but it seems odd that the colors only get affected by the component cables --- I'd expect the graphics to be acting up on both displays. I have noticed that when the console shuts down, it'll have a green hue cover the screen for a few seconds before the console fully shuts off (and returns to the normal black background the A/V channels have on this TV). I have two component channels and it happens on both.

I know it's not the cable since I tried someone else's and it didn't fix anything. I haven't been able to tell if this occurs on HDMI since my aunt/uncle live somewhat far away from where I live, and the only other TV in the house that has component plugs isn't the easiest to get to at the moment.

I've heard this might be related to the graphics card failing (although does that mean the HD part isn't connected to the SD part?) and/or might be a precursor to an RROD/E74. I'm out of the 1-year warranty by a few months so I'm still in the 3-year range.

If you guys need pictures or something of it I can try getting some.

#2 Vr5fx

Vr5fx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

Check all the pins on the cable, if they all seem to be good, gently wiggle the AV connection at the back of the Xbox while it is on. If there is no change prehaps your GPU is starting to go up the creek.

#3 GreatMightySymp

GreatMightySymp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:28 AM

Had tried that and AFAIK, there wasn't any change.

But wouldn't the GPU acting up cause an issue with the SD cables well as the component cables?

EDIT: Also forgot to note there isn't any graphical artifacts or anything like the stuff I've seen on YT, just the green hue.

Edited by GreatMightySymp, 02 November 2010 - 12:30 AM.

#4 GreatMightySymp

GreatMightySymp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:52 AM

(Seems I can't edit my reply, so I'll post this here.)

Checked it again using Tales of Vesperia, I can see the dark areas (at least make them out, compared to before when it was so dark I couldn't make out anything), but the entire screen has an even heavier green hue to it (where only blue can be made out normally, everything else is a shade of green).

So it's apparently getting worse if it's doing that now, I'd assume.

(Gonna try seeing if I can check it using another TV's component cable hookups or even an HDMI soon, but it's looking like this might be the Xbox. >.>)

#5 Vr5fx

Vr5fx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:06 AM

See if you can get yourself another cable to test it. Or even borrow someone elses TV to test the HDMI. Has your xbox been opened? Any fixes done to it?

#6 GreatMightySymp

GreatMightySymp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Vr5fx @ Nov 2 2010, 04:06 AM) View Post

See if you can get yourself another cable to test it. Or even borrow someone elses TV to test the HDMI. Has your xbox been opened? Any fixes done to it?

As far as using another cable, I have been able to get a hold of another HD AV cable --- same issue where the colors are alright using the SD cables, but have the green hue using the component cables.

Haven't opened it up or done anything to it.

#7 Vr5fx

Vr5fx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

Then the issue lies with the Xbox. Either there is a faulty connection in the socket or you have a funky issue with the GPU. See if you can test out the HDMI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users