Exobex

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

Perhaps they're afraid that if people dig into it enough they'll not only make a homebrew driver that's compatible with Kinect, but do the reverse - make a homebrew Kinect that's compatible with the 360!

Otherwise, what's the problem? If someone turns Kinect into a multitouch input device, that'll in turn sell more multitouch-compatible operating systems. Such as Windows 7.

#32 scopen4

scopen4

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

Wait, Wait, Wait...

I thought Microsoft was going to add support for.....

Kinect
Another key addition will be a feature that apes Kinect the next generation motion sensor video technology that is being brought to the Xbox 360 in the near future.
"Windows 8 could detect my presence and log me automatically," adds the document.
This latter nugget of information is intriguing with person recognition one of the well-appreciated functions of Kinect.
Microsoft has long talked up the fact that Kinect tech could be brought to Windows and there will now be hope that it will be arriving as soon as the next generation of the operating system

Read more: http://www.techradar...4#ixzz14Qhr26TB

#33 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Nov 5 2010, 08:44 AM) View Post
Playing Devil's Advocate, where are you legally downloading MKV's from? If you're authoring them, why not choose a compatible codec (such as WMV)?

Don't you ever get tired of playing devil's advocate? tongue.gif

For me, I just like the freedom that comes from removing myself from private companies' control as much as possible. I put all of my Blu-Rays and DVDs into MKV containers to stream through my Popcorn Hour. Of course, some use VC-1 and other proprietary codecs, but using MKV containers frees me to do a lot on my own.

QUOTE(Exobex @ Nov 5 2010, 12:04 PM) View Post
Perhaps they're afraid that if people dig into it enough they'll not only make a homebrew driver that's compatible with Kinect, but do the reverse - make a homebrew Kinect that's compatible with the 360!

Otherwise, what's the problem? If someone turns Kinect into a multitouch input device, that'll in turn sell more multitouch-compatible operating systems. Such as Windows 7.

Kinect isn't multitouch. It's a camera, not a touch device. To turn Kinect into a multitouch device one would need to make it a screen itself--and that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

#34 xboxjason

xboxjason

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

CNet already has a response from Microsoft and they love the idea... Oh, wait, no... Actually:

LOL. Love the sarcasm.

C'mon Microsoft, lighten up and have some popcorn. pop.gif

#35 mr.yoda

mr.yoda

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

Don't worry better quality and cheaper chinese kinect clones will be everywhere soon for pc. biggrin.gif

Edited by mr.yoda, 05 November 2010 - 09:05 PM.

#36 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:35 PM

Cool device, but I'm not buying one unless I decide I need an infra-red disco ball.

On the legality issue for the driver. M$ hates open source (freedom) more than anything. That said. The Kinect device will most likely contain some sort of firmware/bios, which will be "M$ copyrighted code". If an open source driver is written, M$ could, with the right lawyers, claim improper use of said code, or even more so (but a much further stretch), copyright infringement, in simply using the device on a PC because a PC could be used to easily dump said code and we all know why that is bad (for M$ smile.gif ). Not to mention, the driver would cut into M$ profits if (when) they release a similar device for Windows (why buy it when you have the Kinect with a windows driver?). The list of propagandized possibilities goes on and on. Look for big problems from M$ here.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 05 November 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#37 halofun121

halofun121

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

I'm willing to bet that this thing will crash, burn, and explode just like the Microsoft KIN series of phones. I read somewhere that they paid a shitload of money to develop those phones and they pulled the plug on it six weeks after release.

Of course, that's not to say the technology will. At this point in time, I see Kinect as more of a step in another direction...a sort of precursor to the future. This iteration may not score big....but who knows what we'll see down the road.

#38 lvader1

lvader1

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

Microsoft will continue to make advances in these types of safeguards and work closely with law enforcement and product safety groups to keep Kinect tamper-resistant.

Law enforcement? lol what a scare tactic..
FU M$
I hope somebody hacks it by the weekend.

#39 bengrimsy

bengrimsy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

All of those who think its legal to make these drivers dont know what they are talking about. Firmware on the device make it only able to be used on xbox 360s. To use it on a pc we will have to either modify the kinect's firmware, or somehow spoof a pc to show up as a 360 to a USB device, both of which will be illegal. Its possible the actual driver itself will be legal, but the way to implement it will require you to do something illegal.

#40 xboxjason

xboxjason

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE(bengrimsy @ Nov 6 2010, 12:51 AM) View Post
All of those who think its legal to make these drivers dont know what they are talking about.

QUOTE(bengrimsy @ Nov 6 2010, 12:51 AM) View Post
Its possible the actual driver itself will be legal

#41 symbal

symbal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:18 AM

As soon as anyone takes payment for a driver M$ is gonna run them over with a truck load of lawyers, even if there's no law being broken you just know MS is gonna try to scare the crap out of anyone else thinking about doing it, but honestly i just don't care just as long as the driver makes it out into the wild i might consider buying one, because i still see no future for the thing on 360.

#42 Exobex

Exobex

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Nov 5 2010, 06:29 PM) View Post
Kinect isn't multitouch. It's a camera, not a touch device. To turn Kinect into a multitouch device one would need to make it a screen itself--and that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Minority Report?

QUOTE(symbal @ Nov 6 2010, 02:18 AM) View Post

As soon as anyone takes payment for a driver M$ is gonna run them over with a truck load of lawyers, even if there's no law being broken you just know MS is gonna try to scare the crap out of anyone else thinking about doing it, but honestly i just don't care just as long as the driver makes it out into the wild i might consider buying one, because i still see no future for the thing on 360.

Yep. Once it's on the Internet, it'll never come back off. Same as a few years ago when the software came out to convert the Ricoh 7040 quad-speed burner (plus all of its rebranded variants) into the $100-dearer six-speed Ricoh 7060. Ricoh kicked off, but too late.

#43 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(Exobex @ Nov 6 2010, 05:29 AM) View Post

Minority Report?

Hah. Yeah, but still not technically multitouch as you're not touching anything. /anally technical

#44 jdsony

jdsony

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:15 AM

Microsoft has no legal grounds unless their code is used. There have been numerous cases of companies claiming it's illegal to modify their hardware and time & time again the courts side with the user saying they can do whatever they want with the product they bought. There is nothing illegal about hacking/modding.

#45 nexxusty

nexxusty

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(bengrimsy @ Nov 5 2010, 07:51 PM) View Post

All of those who think its legal to make these drivers dont know what they are talking about. Firmware on the device make it only able to be used on xbox 360s. To use it on a pc we will have to either modify the kinect's firmware, or somehow spoof a pc to show up as a 360 to a USB device, both of which will be illegal. Its possible the actual driver itself will be legal, but the way to implement it will require you to do something illegal.

Jesus dude, stfu.

I can't handle imbeciles like you at all. You are soooooooooo uninformed.

Please stop talking. You actually made me less intelligent by reading your post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users