2 replies to this topic

#1 Lucied

Lucied

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:37 PM

Is it possible to get data like save data (PS1, PS2, and PS3) off of a PS3 hard drive after the system dies? Either by use of PC software or by putting the drive in another PS3 and using some sort of homebrew?

My original 60 Gig PS3 died recently. I was unable to do a backup of my data before the system completely died on me. I kept the hard drive, as it's a 120 Gig drive I bought, and I sent the PS3 to Sony for service. They sent back a replacement (another 60 Gig, thankfully), but I've been told that if I put my old drive in the new system, it will want me to reformat the drive and erase all my data.

I don't care about the games and music. All that can be put back on there. I just want my save data back. I know the drives are encrypted, so a PC solution is unlikely. But I didn't know if it might be possible to put the old drive in the new system, use a hack (I have no idea what firmware version the new system has installed), and at least be able to run a system backup without having to reformat.

I have no other use for a PS3 hack other than to try and keep my old save data. I have zero knowledge or experience with any of this stuff, so I'd appreciate it if you kept things simple.

#2 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

As soon as you put the drive in the new system it will ask to format the drive. Unfortunately you can't avoid losing your saves etc. Same happened to me.

#3 Lucied

Lucied

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 6 2010, 01:48 PM) View Post

As soon as you put the drive in the new system it will ask to format the drive. Unfortunately you can't avoid losing your saves etc. Same happened to me.

Aw man. sad.gif

Well, I ran this other option past Sony support and they shot down the idea, but I guess I'll ask here anyway. If I took my old PS3 hard drive and put it in an external enclosure, would the replacement be able to see it as an external drive? Sony support says the PS3 is only capable of detecting FAT32 file systems on external drives, so I'm doubting this would work. I'm just kind of hoping that Sony support is wrong somehow.

It's really devastating to lose all that save data, to be honest, so forgive me if I'm coming off as overly desperate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users