• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 barrymung

barrymung

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

Have a USB stick wheich when plugged into an XBOX classic formats correctly.

However, plug the USB stick into the PC and Action Replay won't recognise it.

The AR logo at the top of the window flashes briefly as soon as the stick is plugged in but it won't appear in the left hand wiindow.

Have hacked the driver in accordance with instructions on the web. Indeed, device manager recognises teh stick is connected.

What I don't understand is why XBOX and windoes recognises it but the AR software ignores it's there.

Any ideas?

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:02 PM

Use Xplorer360 beta 6 instead of Action Replay. Works every time, no need to fiddle with drivers and USB IDs.

#3 barrymung

barrymung

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

..and that works for the classic even though it's designed for the 360?

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

Do you REALLY think I'd recommend it if it didn't work?

If you don't believe me just use Google, and stop being a muppet.

#5 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

NM

Edited by xboxmods2977, 06 November 2010 - 10:24 PM.

#6 barrymung

barrymung

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Nov 6 2010, 09:24 PM) View Post

Do you REALLY think I'd recommend it if it didn't work?

If you don't believe me just use Google, and stop being a muppet.

Well, the software is callecd XBOX360 and I have an XBOX Classic, hence the confusion.

It lets me drag and drop files to the stick, however, the XBOX won't recognise those files. It simply sees a memory card full of empty blocks. Stick it back in the PC and the files are there.

Any clues..?

#7 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:25 PM

It could be a formating issue - the USB memory has to be in FATX format for the Xbox to read it. It will recognise FAT16/32 sticks but not display their contents.

However it sounds more like the simple yet unsurmountable problem you get with the Xbox just not being compatible with certain USB devices however they are formatted.

There are lists of alleged working USB sticks but essentially it's a lottery. Plenty of threads about this if you search.

#8 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

If you are seeing empty blocks then the Xbox recognises the USB stick. If it isn't compatible you usually see nothing.

You have to unpack the gamesaves, and put the numbered folder(s) in the root of the memory stick.

Edited by Heimdall, 13 November 2010 - 07:24 PM.

#9 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:28 AM

Heimdall knows far more about this stuff than I do so follow his advice but do note he used the phrase "usually you see nothing".

In my own experience the way working, non-working and partially working USB memory sticks behave and display is inconsistent. If they're mounted before boot up (recommended practice) I've found all USB memory devices are initially recognised, at least to some extent, whether they eventually turn out to work or not.

What the MS dash shows about USB memory cards larger than the expected 8MB/500 blocks in particular is often wrong.

#10 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:39 AM

An addition to this discussion.

I've just had my non-working with Xbox 2GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB 2.0 drive totally erased by a friendly soul with a PC of all pre-loaded software and anything else that was on it. Then reformatted to FAT32.

This was suggested as a possible method of getting a non-working stick, um, working smile.gif

Definitely helped but here's the reason I'm posting: neither of my softmodded Crystal v1.6 Xboxes recognised the drive was attached when using the UnleashX dash. Best I had was a message that the memory card was faulty (MS dash) or couldn't be mounted (XBMC). It also seemed to affect adversely the loading time of XBMC (as a app) and the MS dash both of which initially, I'd estimate, took three times longer than normal.

But when I used it on a softmodded much older v1.1(0b) console the drive gave no such trouble. It was immediately recognised by all those dashes and most of the time works fine for small size (<10 blocks) game save transfers to and from.

It also works sometimes for slightly larger files but those which don't and anything I've tried above 35 blocks give a copy failed error message. Usually this requires a Shutdown to reset. A simple reboot and the drive just disappears from all dashes or is sometimes shown by UnleashX File Explorer as not being formatted or presents as a corrupt text message.

The drive is effectively useless as it just can't be considered reliable. However, the interesting point is that the erasing/reformat of the drive did have an effect (none of my Xboxes recognised it before) but another factor: the Xbox version being used, seems to be important as regards USB drive compatibility.

Any explanation?

Edited by fallenangle, 11 December 2010 - 12:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users