6 replies to this topic

#1 bobross82

bobross82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:50 AM

Hello all,

I've been looking at external hard drives and considering upgrading my 250gb slim to something bigger. Well, after watching a few videos on replacing hd's, it talks about going to sony's site once your done replacing it and updating to the newest firmware.

Well, If I understand that right, it means the new drive has to be formatted to work with the ps3. Is 3.50 already installed on the hard drive or ps3 somewhere at that point?

Meaning, if I install say a 700GB hard drive, it will be fresh, right? I can go download 3.41 from somewhere and update my fresh hd with that, then run the jailbreak? Would/Does that work? Or is the 3.50 stored somewhere else?

I'm sure that ps3's don't work like that, but thought I would ask.

Also, I've got a bunch of divx movies, ps3 store titles and music and shit stored on my hd. If I backup everything onto an external hd, will all of the mentioned stuff be backed up too?

In other words, can I replace my hd, and then just load all of my old movies, games and everything else from the backup utility?

Sorry for being a newb on this,

Bob

#2 notroubleclubber

notroubleclubber

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

I would do the following:

Backup your stuff on your existing HD to USB drives (not sure if you can plug the ps3 HD into your pc)
Buy new HD and plug into ps3 then go to the option to format the drive.
Then recopy from your usb drives to new HD.
PC wont format the drive as ps3 works differently.
The firmware goes onto the ps3 chips NOT the HD!

#3 ivansword420

ivansword420

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:43 AM

no, no, no.

use the backup and restore utility in the system settings. back it up to an external HDD, then put the new hdd in, and restore form the usb hdd. this ill re-image the drive to the bigger drive. you will not be able to copy protected saves from the hdd to the usb drive manually. make the backup and restore from the backup.

this is covered in the ps3 user manual, website, and google. do not worry about the firmware. thats just sonys mubo-jumbo.

#4 notroubleclubber

notroubleclubber

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

this is what i said

#5 bobross82

bobross82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

Well, after a couple more searches on external hd's for ps3, I did read somewhere about the firmware being stored elsewhere besides the hd. So, sorry for the stupid question.

Got a 320 gb to back up all of my stuff onto. I got about 20 psn games on right now. Backup Manager does or doesn't backup games?

Movies & music I don't care about, really, since I have them on another hd already. However, backing them up onto external is another option versus streaming back to the new hd via tversity.

#6 notroubleclubber

notroubleclubber

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:59 AM

I stream all my movies (avi, divx and HD) from my external drive connected to my main pc. Then my pc is used as a media server which is seen by the ps3 standard media player. Then i can have a seperate HD connected to my ps3 for my games (internal 60gb at the mo but will be upgrading soon to another external that holds my wii games too). No need to use tversity

#7 bobross82

bobross82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

The only reason I use tversity is because it was the FIRST program I got to work with streaming downstairs to my ps3. I didn't try anything after it worked with tversity, so I just stuck with that, I guess. Everything pc I own is stored on a couple of externals, which then gets streamed downstairs through that. (tversity)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users