• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tornath

Tornath

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:00 AM

So I began disassembling a broken 360 the other day to attempt the Oven Solder Reflow method of repair on it. Got it completely apart but couldn't find my T8 driver to remove the Motherboard/daughterboard/xclamps. Anyhow, long story short, after buying the T8 driver today, I find that my dog has slightly chewed the white cover for the lights, not a big deal. However, he couldn't have actually gotten hold of the daughterboard itself and when Looking at it, I notice that something is missing.

IPB Image

The small metal chip shield in the upper right corner is gone, and the chip/transistors/etc are all exposed underneath it now. Is that piece of metal a heat spreader? or is it just a piece of metal there to protect/hide the chip/transisitors? There appears to be absolutely no damage whatsoever to the electronics that were below the piece of metal, and I don't see any sort of thermal paste for heat transfer.

Edited by Tornath, 12 November 2010 - 03:01 AM.

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,791 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:31 AM

It will be fine with it missing, later versions of the RF board, and even the later builds of the older Matrix version Wireless controllers, don't even have that shielding cover anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users