• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DEFCON_Zero

DEFCON_Zero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

I'm totally new to this scene and seeing as I don't have a few grand to buy a desoldering machine, I decided to opt for the heatgun method. Here's my account of trying to remove my GPU and I hope you can help.

My first mishap happened when my heat padding failed and one of my capacitors popped. (yes, in my face)

http://i54.photobuck...x/IMG_27571.jpg

I'm not sure what kind it was but I'm hoping you guys can help me in finding a replacement. Now, when this happened, I had to stop my heatgun when my GPU was a bit lifted. Needless to say, my GPU is now warped and I'm wondering if this a big deal?

http://i54.photobuck...kx/IMG_2754.jpg

Lastly, when I managed to take the bastard out, I noticed some hair thin wires coming out of the mobo. Is this anything to worry about?

http://i54.photobuck...x/IMG_27581.jpg

Is this thing salvagable?

Edited by RDC, 15 November 2010 - 07:00 AM.

#2 m82a1

m82a1

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:21 PM

the hair thin wires are traces, and judging by how much i see all tangled up, i'm gona say you are screwed. sure u can get some to attempt to repair it...

#3 DEFCON_Zero

DEFCON_Zero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:29 PM

How exactly would I fix the traces? Where are they supposed to connect to?

#4 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

rework station = few hundred dollars
reball equipment = 100 more dollars
not destroying your xbox = priceless

#5 m82a1

m82a1

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(DEFCON_Zero @ Nov 13 2010, 10:29 AM) View Post

How exactly would I fix the traces? Where are they supposed to connect to?

The traces can be lead to anywhere on the board. They are all important. I assume it will be very hard to fix it, what i would do is cut the damaged trace, lightly scrape the trace to expose the copper, and solder 30 awg wire from point a to b. That is what i would attempt.

#6 DEFCON_Zero

DEFCON_Zero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:11 PM

Won't that mess with the gpu solder balls? Also, did I damage some of the gpu sockets? Are all of them needed?

#7 snake3

snake3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

buy a new xbox

#8 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(snake3 @ Nov 13 2010, 05:01 PM) View Post

buy a new xbox

what he said. there are better chances of monkeys flying out of my ass before even some of the best pros could get that 360 working again.

#9 kipper2k

kipper2k

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE(iateshaggy @ Nov 14 2010, 12:54 AM) View Post

what he said. there are better chances of monkeys flying out of my ass before even some of the best pros could get that 360 working again.

The board and the chip are toast, you have broken the pads on both the mobo and chip by pulling the chip off before the solder had melted. Electrolytic capacitors can only handle a max temp of 105 deg C and you baked them also, even the ones that didnt pop are still no good now. A heat gun is almost impossible to control the temperature. THe only way to constantly successfully remove the GPU is to use the proper tools. A temperature of about 265 deg C is good enough to remove the GPU and it should be on a timed temp climb/descent. I use the T870A infrared station (google it on ebay). without a temp measuring tool to monitor temps you run the risk of warping the board. It may work for a short while but its on the spiral of death.

#10 DEFCON_Zero

DEFCON_Zero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:42 AM

I'm going to attempt a repair on it anyway. I've ordered everything I think I'll need (flux, solder balls, & wick) for this little endeavor of mine. I'll take my chances on the other capacitors being fried because I don't think they got that hot. I'm optimistic about the traces, even though I have no idea on how to solder them back on. Do they lead to GPU pads on the mobo? If so, I'd have to take off the solder first right?

As for the missing GPU pads... is EVERY single pad needed in order for it to function?

#11 Glrd

Glrd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:38 AM

I personally wouldn't even try that. ive been soldering for 2 years and i would just toss the box, with the pads being ripped up like they are it will be impossible to fix, not impossible as in difficult impossible as in impossible.

dont waste your money and take this as a lesson learned, dont go cheap.

#12 fischju

fischju

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:58 AM

Returning that to a functioning state would be a godly act, but I wouldn't *toss* it. Ebay it for parts with a description of what happened and you could make a bit of money off the PSU, AV cables, maybe the chassis, faceplate, plastic, some internal components if anybody needed them...

#13 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:10 AM

lol, i will really let those monkeys out my but if you return that to working state.

#14 The_Doctor

The_Doctor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:25 AM

i hope to god your trolling about trying to repair it.

if you got the 360 in that state to begin with, then you are NOT the person to try and repair it (which i would say isnt even do-able anyway)

Edited by The_Doctor, 15 November 2010 - 05:27 AM.

#15 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:49 PM

I would toss a board with one lifted trace let alone however many that mess is...

Also, you can't just buy all the proper equipment and expect to fix motherboards. It takes lots of practice, patience, and skill. I've seen people do the same thing with IR rework stations, well NOT the SAME thing but lift some traces... what you got there looks more like my pork fried noodles!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users