Photo

Getting Christmas Lights! But My Xbox Has Never Ben Jtagged!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 relik1989

relik1989

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:59 AM

Like I said, I just randomly got "Christmas lights", as I've heard it called.

Here's the whole story. I got the Xbox 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago me and my buddy flashed the dvd firmware(Lite-on drive) to LT1.1. The console has been playing backups ever since like nobody's business, not even so much as a hiccup. Now this sunday just past, I was playing Soul Caliber IV, and on the first round I started getting artifacting, I IMMEDIATELY cut power (literally had the console off within 2 seconds). I let the console cool down and was greeted by one red light and a E74. So Monday I took the console back to my buddy's house(I know how to fix the E74, but hes has the tools to open the case) we reseated both heat sinks with my favorite ceramic compound, and I added fans to both the GFX and the CPU heat sink's to help keep them cooler(GFX fan taken from a stock AMD979 cooler, and CPU fan taken from a OLD socket 7 Pentium). Since then both chips have been staying nice and cool. I played Soul Caliber IV, Golden Axe, and Bayonetta, for well over 2 hours before leaving his house. I come home from work today and I play some Soul Caliber for about 45min, then My Girlfriend pops in Bayonetta, now this is when the problems start. She was playing for all of 10 MAYBE 15mins, and I get Christmas lights on my console. I shut off the console and felt the heatsinks, both felt fine, it didn't over heat. I turned the console back on and she kept playing just fine for about another half hour, and then it happened again. This console has never done this before.

I have not the slightest clue what would be causing this. every last post i have come across said that this error is only ran into when you are trying to Jtag. Now I can assure you, that this console has never been jtagged nor has anyone ever tried to jtag it(I know the person I got the console from). OH...I almost forgot, I guess you could call this a mod, but I added a longer SATA cable to the dvd drive, with the fans I added I am now unable to actually put the dvd drive back in the console.

Please help, My girlfriend, my buddy, and I are all pretty good with this kind of stuff, and were all three clueless.

#2 TheDemonIII

TheDemonIII

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE(relik1989 @ Nov 16 2010, 10:59 PM) View Post

Like I said, I just randomly got "Christmas lights", as I've heard it called.
then My Girlfriend pops in Bayonetta, now this is when the problems start. She was playing for all of 10 MAYBE 15mins, and I get Christmas lights on my console.

theres your problem... maybe you should look into a new girlfriend

#3 relik1989

relik1989

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:44 AM

OK, update....

I just spent about 30-45min playing Vanquish with absolutely no problems, (bad ass game btw). I'm not sure if me posting what games I'm playing is relevant or not, but there all backups, I have the originals tucked away safe. but at this point I'm leaning toward the fact that the disk I burnt Bayonetta onto may be defective, and it's shooting some wacky error at the console or something. I'm going to continue to play every other game I have and see what happens, then this weekend I'll try my buddy's copy of bayonetta,and let him play mine, and see if I get the same error, and vise versa. Because this may or may-not be a coincidence but the only two times I got the lights was when playing bayonetta, although I played it just fine on Saturday. but I suppose we'll see what happens. pop.gif

#4 relik1989

relik1989

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

somebody has to have some kind of input? Anybody? I've still been searching around and I'm just simply not finding any solutions, atleast none that dont have something to do with a Jtag.

#5 Zoom_Stop

Zoom_Stop

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

Your DVD drive is actually outside the console?
I could understand needing a longer SATA cable for that. How did you handle the drives power requirements?
In all honesty I would like to see the fans you installed on the stock heatsinks smile.gif

#6 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

Could be an anomaly caused by your failing BGA contacts under the GPU. The GPU is like a hub that all other chips communicate with, just look at the traces on the mobo.

If you had e74 then you have damaged BGA contacts under the GPU and it is likely not communicating properly with the southbride, NAND, RAM or CPU...

Cooling mods may prevent more damage but until the motherboard gets a proper reflow of the GPU BGA, your motherboard IS damaged and needs a REAL fix.

#7 relik1989

relik1989

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE(Zoom_Stop @ Nov 17 2010, 03:04 PM) View Post

Your DVD drive is actually outside the console?
I could understand needing a longer SATA cable for that. How did you handle the drives power requirements?
In all honesty I would like to see the fans you installed on the stock heatsinks smile.gif

QUOTE(relaxxx @ Nov 17 2010, 05:13 PM) View Post

Could be an anomaly caused by your failing BGA contacts under the GPU. The GPU is like a hub that all other chips communicate with, just look at the traces on the mobo.

If you had e74 then you have damaged BGA contacts under the GPU and it is likely not communicating properly with the southbride, NAND, RAM or CPU...

Cooling mods may prevent more damage but until the motherboard gets a proper reflow of the GPU BGA, your motherboard IS damaged and needs a REAL fix.

OK, well I can certainly take some pics of the fans when I get home. I havent extended the drives power cable yet, its sitting ontop of another drive right now next to the console. but I'm going to extend it with some cat5 cables.

How do you reflow the gpu? I'm sure tis not something I can do myself. BUT now that you said that, it made me think of this, When I replaced the xclamps I used regular screws, The screws I used have a pretty large head and when the console is put back in the mother board cage the board flexes ever so slightly when I plug the front panel and the power/av cables in......Could this be part of my issue? Having just thought of that makes me feel.....special, to say the least. blink.gif

Edited by relik1989, 18 November 2010 - 12:07 AM.

#8 relik1989

relik1989

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:45 AM

OK, so I just removed the Motherboard from the cage and placed it safely inside my entertainment center, I'm going to monitor it (meaning play some games smile.gif ), and see if the error continues. Also I looked into re-flowing the chips, and I'll be damned, it doesn't look all that hard. Especially since my dad lives right down the road and he own a small coil manufacturing company, but He has a full electronics laboratory.

Also here are the pics of the fans.

IPB Image

There is the CPU fan, It's just an old Socket 7 fan (circa Pentium 1, I knew that old pos computer would serve a purpose again someday, laugh.gif ), As you can see there is a little heat-sink still showing on either side, but it fits PERFECTLY from top to bottom.

IPB Image

Here is the GFX fan, this is the one I was really worried about. This fan was taken from a stock AMD 979 CPU cooler. This one I was really happy with because it fits almost 100% perfectly, it covers the entire heat-sink, the only minor issue was the bracket for the small secondary GFX Heat-Pipe was blocking me from butting in the 4th screw, but no biggie.

IPB Image

For now these fans are being powerd by an old GameCube power supply, once I get all the issues with the console fixed, then I will be doing something more permanent to power the fans, and either a case mod or I may fabricate my own case. But how far I go with modding this thing depends on whether or not I can get the console working, I want to make sure its worth the time and money before I do anything.

Sorry about the picture quality, I took them with a flashlight and a crappy cell phone, for some reason my hacked HD2(running android) wouldn't take pics today...the battery was almost dead.

#9 relik1989

relik1989

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:21 AM

ok, So I was playing Bayonetta for exactly 40min and it did it again sad.gif But I noticed that I was originally wrong, its not 4 red and center green, its 3 red and center green. Left Top and bottom red, and bottom right red, center light green. I am now playing Soul Calibur to see if this game will do it too, because as I stated before, I have had problems with this console before, BUT this particular problem seems to only happen when playing bayonetta. So I will post back if it happens with other games too.

#10 relik1989

relik1989

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:50 AM

OK...ok, Now im really pissed!! A quick google search found that 3 red lights is pretty much the definition of "the red ring of death". BUT every single page I come across is some douche trying to sell a how-to book. OK, so what happens is when I'm playing games the console just randomly shuts off, and starts flashing 3 red lights. NOW this is not permanent, because I can turn the console off and it boots right back up no problem. So I'm at a loss here because to the best of my knowledge 2 red lights means that its over heating, and I have no idea what 3 lights mean because I cant seem to find any pages that don't charge you for the answer!!! Can somebody please help me out here.

#11 relik1989

relik1989

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:52 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say that this issue was solved. even though I haven't fixed it yet, atleast I know what it is now.

I never had 4 lights, I had 3, I thought It was 4 because of a reflection off of my entertainment center. With 12 years of computer modding experience, and about 6 years of console modding experience, this whole thing made me feel just slightly "special". jester.gif I should have looked a little closer before I drew a conclusion.

#12 relik1989

relik1989

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:45 PM

I take back everything I said before. I don't mean to bring this thread back after it been over a week but, the issue was not over heating. Once I finally had some real time to sit and examine what was going on, it was a power supply issue. This is what I did to solve it, and it works great.

I had an unused PC power supply (I didn't say ATX PS because it's technically on over-sized BTX PS), but there the same thing just different screw patterns. So any how this beast of a Power supply is 750W!!! I was unusable in any other computer because it was all proprietary to the computer it came from. but the voltages are the same as any other pc power supply.

The hook up couldn't have been more simple, cut the cord off your xbox PS, then cut a end off of a molex connector and simply match the colors. ph34r.gif then to get the pc power supply to turn on take the main 20/24pin connector and jump the green wire with the black wire next to it, and your good to go, just unplug or turn off the ps when your not using it. there is a simple circuit you make to make the power supply turn on and off with the console, how ever I wasn't too worried about it, but you can google search for it if you'd like.

Hope this may help someone out there. I'll post more details or pics if anyone cares.

Thanks xbox scene, you've been awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users