luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

im wondering what are we going to do abught the total lack of any intrest on the xbox and linux these days. all patches are dated 2.4 kerel is flagged end of life. so its inpossable for anyone to port any newer distro over. ad thers plenty of new light distros out there that can preform fas of a 486dx let alone a orignal xbox. heck even xorg is going to be replaced soon. so we cant do aything for this old box being we cant patch anything.

#2 JBmtk

JBmtk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:56 AM

The lack of responses here should answer your question

#3 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:softmods, xbox linux,
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE(luther)
heck even xorg is going to be replaced soon. so we cant do aything for this old box being we cant patch anything.

i think you answered your own question. don't get it mixed up, there is no "underground community" of developers hanging in the darkness, waiting to unleash some super new linux system to the dead xbox "community".

the box won't support a 2.6 kernel for several documented reasons. just the same as why windows will never be run on an xbox. the fundamental possibility is not there. you can't force things to work with any mount of patching/breaking down/converting/etc.

DSL runs just fine for me, anyhow.

doh! thread started in november, 2010. boy, this forums really doesn't get any traffic, does it?

Edited by worldwhore3, 25 January 2011 - 05:55 AM.

#4 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:14 AM

xbox can and does suppoort 2.6 but the fatx dev never finished support so no softmod installs nativ only. the xbox and linux is just a matter of drivers and some patches but being they have saw no work in years it fell way behind everything.

but dont say it cant support said kernel couse indeed it can. its just like any old hardware people lost intrest and being its drivers and patches where unoffical they never got in the mainline kernel so it would have always kept legicy support.

#5 oSpAiKo

oSpAiKo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

Well, it seems that Lalee is working on a Fedora/CentOS port to Xbox. He sais that will release its 2.6 kernel patches. Let's wait a bit, hope is the last thing to be lost.

By the way, nowadays we're seeing and overflow of smartphones and tablets that come with Android, could it be ported to Xbox? There's also already a port to x86 that works well, so we could use this as base.

#6 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:softmods, xbox linux,
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE(luther)
...but dont say it cant support said kernel couse indeed it can. its just like any old hardware people lost intrest and being its drivers and patches where unoffical they never got in the mainline kernel so it would have always kept legicy support.

i will say it and i will stand firm by it. a 2.6 kernel will never be converted 100 percent.

who wants to run an xbox as a native linux-box anyway? what are the benefits of doing that?

a standard xbox is slow, the memory resources are low, it really isn't worth keeping a linux-box in the house as your primary computer unless it really is all you can afford. it's a great media center with XBMC, and having the second ability to run linux for webbrowsing, torrent downloading, and possibly printing is really all thats necessary out of linux-box. what, do you want to run KDE (ugh) and all kinds of flashy chat apps with it? everyone knows it's gnome or it's gnot.

again, no matter of patching or hacking at will ever give you what you want. you simply cannot get blood from a stone, no matter how bad you might want it!

buck up and start trying to develop it!

loopback is the way to go, in my opinion. if it cant be supported in loopback then whats the point.

--------------------------------

QUOTE(ospaiko)
...Android, could it be ported to Xbox? There's also already a port to x86 that works well, so we could use this as base.

very interesting that you mention that, as i was wondering about an android port, as well. i hadn't realized there was an x86 based release of it yet. that could be promising.

i have worked with android on a 7" Chinese netbook (ezbook-pc). the android OS broguht life to the otherwise entirely useless computer. while i think it would be fun to experiment with, i think it would leave people wanting more still. it is a fun system, however, and obviously lightweight enough that if drivers could be converted to the xbox controller in place of a touchpad/mousepad it should be sufficient in terms of power with what the xbox has to offer.

#7 NaiGuy

NaiGuy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

The Issue with Xbox is just that, its an old machine. The system for the xbox is a windows 2000 kernel, FATX being based off FAT32. These Main reasons being what Limits the Linux Capability of the xbox, not to mention the low RAM and the fact that most of its hardware will never be seen on a PC, meaning people who want to use it for PC uses need to write there own drivers. They then need to patch the kernel and alot of the programs as well. The Thing is, for Loopback and Desktop uses, while maintaining its original functionality, its dead. For Server and Full Desktop functionality it still lives, but isnt as good as when it was in its prime. But why give up the million things an Xbox can do for one?

I think the flaws with Android would be the same issues with other distros currently. While Android is one of the best Lightweight OSes around. It requires 2.6 to function. But Patching it to work may be possible. Really if it can give basic functionaitly it would be very nice. however from what i've seen without apps its kinda meh, but it could be used for web browsing as well. which having a working web browser that isnt slow is always a nice thing.

#8 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:14 AM

what use is a xbox and linux thats easy. in its prime we used it for everything running webservers game servers etc. when my destop pc died my xbox was my only working pc so for few months i was on these fourms on a xbox. wile the wii and ps3 have a webbroswer in some respects the xbox is still more powerful being we can download stuff directly to the hdd and watch it eyhter threw linux or xbmc. and when media center pc cost just as mutch as a new desktop pc the xbox was a cheap and effictiv sloution. yes netbooks and cheap media center pcs are out now and cover the area the xbox once filled but i say if its not broke dont replace it.

#9 Gogeden

Gogeden

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

I've always wanted to start a site for a community that tries to get Linux, BSD, etc running on game systems. To start some sort of community and get more support. What do you all think of that idea?

#10 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

yes we had all that the xbox-linux website and so on. its just the devs moved on to newer things. so unless that talent comes back for a bit and does some major updates on all the drivers and patches to make xbox linux work youe dealing with getting a legicy kernel sound and xorg running on a newer distro and its no easy task if it works at all like my failed attempt to port puppy.

#11 havok1977

havok1977

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

I also did my share of Xbox linux tinkering some years ago, played around with native XBMC, installed Emulaters and a whole lot of stuff... I even bought myself a second console for the exclusive purpose of running Gentoox on it.

That personal Genttox box was never used for desktop use tho, from the start I decided to make it a home server; at first for sharing files with an upgraded hard drive, but as storage became more accessible and huge for external drives I migrated my stuff and a couple of years ago the Xbox acts as only my LAN DNS/DHCP with a Webserver installed in case I'd need to host a page at home.

I can relate to the hackers and developers that have moved on to newer things and left the Xbox hardware behind, as it is now a near ten year old piece of tech; and in tech interest is always about the new. But if anyone would retake the work and put the effort to make FATX be fully supported on 2.6, I would appreciate it; but I certainly cant expect it... I am no Kernel or driver developer myself so wouldnt know how to do it.

And so for the time being and the foreseeable future the best I can do is run the latest release of the Gentoox Kernel along with an updated pack of server software and system utilities from the Gentoo repositories, of which sadly the newer versions of glibc and gcc and the packages which depend on them cant live with a 2.4 Kernel. Luckily Bind and DHCP server are not in that group, so my current purpose for the hardware is filled.

Edited by havok1977, 03 May 2011 - 05:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users