keyser.soze

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

Hello.
Does anyone know how to play videos encoded with X264 and AAC codecs in XBMC?
I have a HD movie encoded like this and can't get to play with the default player (MPlayer) both on 9.04 and rev30731.

#2 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

Run XBMC on something other then an X-Box.

An alternative option is to re-encode the video into something a bit less heavy-duty.

#3 oldtimer82

oldtimer82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:- Networking<br />- Rigging Stuff<br />- Computer Repair<br />- Sciences<br />- Star Trek<br />- Gaming<br />- Anime
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

Yep, thats pretty much the deal. I download/rip in XviD with Handbrake for play on the xbox. It looks good enough on my 42 inch Plasma.

If you want to play H.264 files then you need to get a Boxee Box or something like that.

#4 Rythmtech

Rythmtech

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(keyser.soze @ Nov 20 2010, 03:30 AM) View Post

Hello.
Does anyone know how to play videos encoded with X264 and AAC codecs in XBMC?
I have a HD movie encoded like this and can't get to play with the default player (MPlayer) both on 9.04 and rev30731.

I've been having pretty good success encoding to MKV files using Handbrake 9.4 and using the Legacy/Classic settings but limiting the video to 600kb and the audio to 2ch aac @ 128kb.

There are other threads in the forum regarding MKV encoding for the original XBOX with heaps more information on thios very subject, so it might be a good idea to take a look there.

Cheers,
Rythmtech.

#5 Kinux

Kinux

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(Rythmtech @ Dec 24 2010, 10:33 AM) View Post

I've been having pretty good success encoding to MKV files using Handbrake 9.4 and using the Legacy/Classic settings but limiting the video to 600kb and the audio to 2ch aac @ 128kb.

There are other threads in the forum regarding MKV encoding for the original XBOX with heaps more information on thios very subject, so it might be a good idea to take a look there.

Cheers,
Rythmtech.

I am addicted to documentaries posted by MVGroup. Unfortunately many good ones with subtitles are in HD X264 + AC3 audio MKV. So, it is some time that I successfully re-encode them to Xvid with MP3 audio. It took me some time to find how to do it. So here you are, the secret of re-encoding MKVs wink.gif

Programs that I use are MKVtoolnix + gui to open the MKV files and extract their Audio, Video and Subtitles.

Then with Avc2avi in command prompt I convert the .H264 to .AVI with correct frame rate. It has a bug that when converts a 29.970 video, it converts to a 29.969 file. In this case I use the AviFrate program to set it back to 29.970. BBC documentaries are 25.000 and has no problems converting them.

Then I convert the AC3 audio to MP3 with BeSweet. Create an Avisynth script with one line, AviSource("path to\Converted.avi"), and run Gordian Knot as usual and re-encode them to Xvid. You really need this script for the H264 to AVI converted files only.

It works great and I run them in batch. One thing not to forget is to set the Aspect Ratio of GKnot to 1:1 ! It has got me many times forgetting it is a Re-encode not a normal encode.

I adore my Xbox & XBMC and will not let it go yet. I hope this helps you.

Oh, Happy New year smile.gif

Edited by Kinux, 04 January 2011 - 01:40 AM.

#6 GISJason

GISJason

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Hacking anything w/ a TSOP....<br /><br />Modems, Xboxs, 360s, Etc.....
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:15 AM

Just stream the X264 + AAC vids from a Mediastreaming server package there's tons of them out there on the net available, works great for me on all formats!

I use twonky media server on my mac for this wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users