8 replies to this topic

#1 blondie85

blondie85

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

[size=1]I've encountered my first E73 and it's really got me stumped. I'm returning it to the owner this week, but not being able to figure it out is driving me crazy!

History:
- Console presented with RROD 0102, which was due to an attempted repair by the owner. He severed traces between the GPU and the RAM. This was fixed with some very careful soldering.
- Then presented with 0030 (what the owner was trying to fix), which was repaired by reflowing the CPU
- It went back to the owner working, but after 3 weeks it came back with E74. Fixed by reflow of GPU.
- Next day came back with E73, apparently when he turned it on it went straight to that. I found broken q-tip ends inside the console. Someone watched youtube!!

If you're still with me, I've tried several things...

I tightened down the bolts on the heatsink, re-reflowed the GPU, reflowed the southbridge and fitted a southbridge clamp, and did kind of a half re-solder on the ethernet chip.

Touching the ethernet chip was the only thing that had any effect, the console went back to 0102 but reflowing the RAM again just took me back to E73.

So I'm thinking it's the ethernet chip. Is it possible that taking it off and putting it back on again with new solder will help? Or would I probably need a new chip?

Any thoughts appreciated. And sorry for the massive post smile.gif

#2 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

Sounds like you might not be reflowing the GPU properly. There is no need for bolts or any other tricks.

After wasting countless hours on 'tinkered' consoles I either turn them away instantly or spend 10 minutes assessing if it's worth while to continue. From the sounds of it I'd say this console and owner are not worth the bother. Don't let the motherboard fool you, the GPU is at fault more than 99% of the time, don't waste your time with any other chip on the board. Trust me on this one, I just increased your efficiency 500%!

#3 blondie85

blondie85

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the advice smile.gif This board came to me with bolts already fitted. The owner did it because he thought ti would fix the 2 red lights, but then his screwdriver slipped and he ended up with the 3 red lights.

My thermocouple is broken so I've been following my normal profile and kind of guessing at the temps on this board, which I know isn't a good idea, but the guy has been bugging me about getting it sorted. So it's entirely possible the reflow isn't working properly.

This board also has the GPU and CPU chips held in place by that epoxy stuff, would you recommend that in future I remove it before reflowing? And if so how do I get it off? I haven't tried to remove it, but I'd like to hear how easy it is to get the stuff off.

#4 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

The epoxy stuff doesn't affect anything, it doesn't affect liquid flux. Even when lifting off the chip to reball, it comes right off with the chip and then easily breaks off. Seems to have same melting point as solder. Pretend it isn't there.

#5 wlintek

wlintek

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:41 AM

if you reflow with a rework station, if the profile is right, you must remove the epoxy around the GPU first, or the solder balls will bridge for sure.

if you "reflow" with a heatgun, then don't bother. the heatgun could hardly luqify the balls anyway.

#6 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:24 AM

The epoxy will melt and get under the GPU if you don't remove it when you attempt a reflow.

#7 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:37 AM

weird, it never did that to me?

#8 blondie85

blondie85

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

I don't think it looks melted? Anyway, I'll take it off and try one last reflow.

Edited by blondie85, 22 November 2010 - 07:04 PM.

#9 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(wlintek @ Nov 21 2010, 10:41 PM) View Post

if you reflow with a rework station, if the profile is right, you must remove the epoxy around the GPU first, or the solder balls will bridge for sure.

if you "reflow" with a heatgun, then don't bother. the heatgun could hardly luqify the balls anyway.

You are right about the rework; if you use the same profile to LIFT and REBALL as REFLOW, it will fudge the balls.

As far as heatguns, they are not all equal. You can find or modify one to produce the proper temp, it can be done, it has been done.

- I've never seen the epoxy melt, turn to a hard gummy bear consistency - yes.

Edited by relaxxx, 22 November 2010 - 11:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users