6 replies to this topic

#1 pdidd

pdidd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

I have xbmc on my xbox with a 220 gig hard drive. I want to know if it is possible to use the xbox asa file storage device for movies and music and am able to access it on my wii. If it is possible do i Have to mod the wii?

#2 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

X-S Transcendental

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:21 PM

The X-Box's storage can be accessed over FTP/UPnP. I don't know whether the Wii can access data using these protocols, but I would expect that mods would be required.

#3 pdidd

pdidd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

WELL, my wifes friend has a nas box that the wii can automatically detect. Is there a way to set up xbmc like that?

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

Depends which protocols the WII and the NAS are using. XBMC serves files using FTP and UPNP, so if the WII supports one of those then the answer is probably yes. If the WII only supports SAMBA then the answer is no.

#5 pdidd

pdidd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

as far as i know xbmc for xbox has always supported smb. I remember on the older versions before upnp was put into xbmc, i saw options for the smb share.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

That's an SMB client, not an SMB server. To share files from the Xbox it would need an SMB server, and XBMC doesn't have an SMB server.

#7 pdidd

pdidd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

Im just trying to pick your brain sorry, i am just wondering what my options are. Is it possible to use something like xdsl and install some kind of software that can share the smb way? And will the wii just pick this up? or will i have to softmod/mod the wii

oooo, found an answer for anyone who is intersted using the original Xbox as a NAS with xdsl

http://odie5533.com/...-ssh-bittorrent

thanks for the help smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users