#1 hcf

hcf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

Hi!

First of all, I will introduce myself: I have been active in other xbox-scene forums in the past years (mainly the Emulators one), and this is my first activity in *nix forum. Recently I made my first Linux installation in my Xbox, and I am very excited! smile.gif

I installed DSL with the Frugal option, and everything seems to go OK (although I see a bit of flicker on screen). Even, I have managed to download and install several MyDSL packages and run them. That's awesome!

But I have faced a problem when I tried to install the Wine package. Downloading the package hangs my Xbox, so I tried to put the DSL file in my E: disk. In this way, DSL tries to load the package at boot time, and I was able to see what is the error before my Xbox hangs: it says that it cannot write in the disk!! blink.gif

So, I was thinking that I must mount the E: unit BEFORE installing the Wine package. My next step was removing the DSL file from E: and copy it in E:/optional/ (in this way, DSL doesn't load it at boot time). DSL boots properly... then, I try to mount the E: unit on /mnt/hda50 as I have read in the forums but... I don't have that hda50 directory!! uhh.gif

I have "hda55" (it can be mapped to F:), "hda51" (it can be mapped to C:), and many more (hda52, hda53, hda54...). Furthermore, I saw that my E: unit is automatically mounted on a directory named "cdrom". I said "Ohhhh! That is the reason why it cannot write in the disk: it is mounted as a read-only unit!!". So I tried to mount E: on another directory (I chose /mnt/hd because in my system there isn't a /mnt/hda50). It seems that it mounts it properly, but when I try to install the DSL package... it hangs my Xbox again!!! sad.gif

I am totally lost, I'm sure that I am missing something but I have tried everything that I can, without success. Do anyone have a clue about what is happening? Why Wine hangs my Xbox, why I don't have the hda50, why E: is automatically mounted as a cdrom...

Also, I tried to download a package named "xwine.dsl" that I have read about in these forums, but the site where it was uploaded seems to be down nowadays, and I have not found it in the entire internet. Can anyone give me a clue to get this Xwine.dsl package? I would like to test if it hangs my Xbox too.

Thank you for reading my story wink.gif And thanks in advance if anyone can give me a clue smile.gif

#2 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:softmods, xbox linux,
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:12 AM

everybody needs to understand something about wine: for all intents & purposes wine on a modern day distro of linux is at least 7 to 8 months behind in terms of compatibility.

xbox wine is *dead*. the xbox-linux project is dead in terms of continual development. there are plenty of dabblers, but noone behind the wheel really making headway in development. there is no roadmap for the future, there is no collaboration of developers, there are only those of us here and there who like to play around with it.

if a linux project dies, then all work put into that project dies as well. look at the root of xdsl, which is dsl. it hasn't been looked at in years. it still works great, but there is no development, what we have is what we get.

now, back to wine. wine isn't a useful option on a real computer, let alone computing on the standard issue xbox (64mb ram, low video capability, low processor speed). at ubuntuforums i try to teach people about the limitations of wine, and i feel i should here as well. if you want to play windows games or run windows apps, you'tr usually going to need a windows box.

#3 hcf

hcf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the answer. I know that there is no development in xbox-linux currently. But I know that people achieved many good things with it in the past, so I am trying to find someone who still have that "xwine.dsl" and can share it, or some other knowledge to help me in the other way.

I am not looking for someone to develop new things: I only want to find someone who achieved to run it in the past, and can give me some clues smile.gif

#4 worldwhore3

worldwhore3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:softmods, xbox linux,
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:40 AM

let me just ask you straight out: what do you know was achieved in terms of "great things"?

i don't even understand what you are trying to accomplish. you haven't named an application you want to run or anything.

no matter what you want to do, if you really want to run *any* MS application, you may as well run a windows box. what you get is what you get. xdsl will be able to print, wordprocess, run a stripped version of firefox with *no* flash (and if you do get it it's not worth running on a standard issue xbox [64mb ram, standard cpu]), limited javascript, no IM'ing if you want to do that, although you will be able to use various web based messengers, you *might* be able to burn to DVD/CD if you install a burner (i have a burner installed but have yet to try burning); it's enough to get you by while you're loungin' on the couch on the cheap.

xwine is dead, so you have super-limited options of what you want to run on it, regardless of the issues installing it may or may not have given you.

further - if you do not understand why you cannot write to disk, you need to learn how linus users are structured and you should also inform people of what you are trying to save to your drive. if you are trying to download something from firefox, you *may* have to run FF as root. if you don't know what "root" is, think of root as "administrator".

linux gives fewer permissions by default to users other than root.

start telling us what you're trying to do instead of running multiple sentences together about problems you're having, because it's a ll a jumbled, hard-to-make-sense-of mess.

and by the way, you are not off the hook with this one:
what do you know was achieved in terms of "great things"?

i want to know what you think you know.

Edited by worldwhore3, 25 January 2011 - 05:49 AM.

#5 hcf

hcf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:37 PM

Nice answer! smile.gif

start telling us what you're trying to do instead of running multiple sentences together about problems you're having, because it's a ll a jumbled, hard-to-make-sense-of mess.

Well, I am going to explain why I posted all that stuff: I have been a member of lots of technical forums, and I know that people dislike when a novice asks something WITHOUT even having tried to look for the answer on his own. So, I wrote EVERY step that I did, because this was my first topic in this forum, and I wanted that people here can see that in fact I have spent several hours trying to solve the problem by myself. But you are right, because explaining all my steps made a very confusing message!! wink.gif

As far as those "great things" achieved, I mean that if you search in several forums, you can see that years ago several persons achieved to do lots of things that I am not able to do, such as installing and running the Wine DSL package (I was not able to do it, although I can install other packages), and even there was a guy who made that xwine.dsl package, which nowadays seems to be totally disapeared, and that's incredible, because Internet uses to keep copies of everything alive along the time wink.gif

So, answering to your question: what I am trying to do is simply run Wine or Xwine (it doesn't matter) on my Xbox. All the rest of the stuff in my original message were simply clues about what I have tried to do, in order that the "experts" that can answer to me, can know some things that I already have tested.

I know that modern programs are not going to run properly, but my goal is being able to run some VERY OLD applications. In fact, for applications that run in MS-DOS I have used the dosxbox emulator (you can read about it in the emulators forum) and they run as a charm!!!... but I would like to run some very old Windows programs too (those that run with Windows 98 or Windows 95) and I was thinking that Wine could do the trick. Dosxbox cannot run Windows programs (even the most ancient ones) because it's only a PC + MS-DOS emulator.

#6 cheema201

cheema201

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

I run linux on the xbox with some windows games and apps running through wine, but I did not use xwine.dsl. I have used wine-0.9.22.dsl

http://distro.ibibli...amnsmall/mydsl/

Look in the 'system' link at the distro and its in there. I have no idea why you would need xwine.

Try that out and see how you go.

#7 hcf

hcf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Thank you very much for your answer, cheema!! I will re-check it, but I think that it is the same package that I wanted to use, and it hangs my Xbox because it cannot write over the E: drive. In fact, in my Linux, I cannot write over E: although I CAN write over F:, for example blink.gif

Please cheema, could you tell me which path is your E: drive mounted to? As far as I have read, it uses to be mounted on "/mnt/hda50" but in my case that directory does not exist, and E: is mounted at boot time on "/cdrom" with read-only privileges huh.gif

And, do you have a Frugal installation of XDSL?

Big thanks again!!

#8 cheema201

cheema201

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:41 AM

Your testing my memory. I haven't used xdsl in months. Only used it to play some grim fandango and star craft. I got dues ex working to a modest standard (some might say playable).

I did a loopback install... I have limited knowledge now of the procedure but I remember having some issues also. There is a txt file or something that is created with your loopback install that tells it which drive to mount automatically (If i remember correctly) I think by default it is the E drive. So I used to test games and apps through that before even mounting the F drive.

So do a loopback install (remembering that you have to allow a bigger cache for memory depending on what you plan to run) Make it at least 1gb to be safe I think.

If your really having issues I'll dig up my old keyboard and mouse and run xdsl.

#9 hcf

hcf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Thank you very much for your kind answer, cheema!! So, maybe my problems are caused by the fact that I made a Frugal install... Mmm, I am afraid to make a loopback install OVER my Frugal install, but maybe I will do it. Furthermore, I am very encouraged by the fact that you achieved to run Windows games (much moder that the applications that I want to run!!).

I will make a couple ot tests more, and if I cannot achieve any good result, I will go for the loopback install.

Thank you very much again!!

#10 cheema201

cheema201

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

You can do as many installs as you want!!!!!!!

wen you open linux it comes up with a menu.

I had more than one loopback install that I used to use for different things and give them different names. Mainly for memory issues..

So there should be no issues doing the loopback install.. I remember how shitty I was trying to play around with that frugal crap. It got me nowhere. After I did a loopback I was magically able to do plenty. But there is not scene at all for linux on the xbox sad.gif

It is a real shame, because some games run through linux that do not run anywhere else. Shit red alert 2 was apparently running through it! Though I never got it to work.

Look at xmugen, all done through linux.

If someone worked on a linux 'emulator' (obviously not an emulator at all) but I mean a linux exclusive gui on the xbox that had all the games that run through xdsl, easily navigated with an xbox controller. Then that would be something pretty special..

XDSL can run epsxe the playstation emulator! and a 3DO emulator to a modest standard..

It runs star ocean and valkyrie profile through epsxe and ff7 better than pcsxbox!

XDSL should have a following, but it doesn't... That is why I stopped using it when I ran into some difficulties. There is nowhere to turn to haha.

Good luck getting your stuff up and running

#11 hcf

hcf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

Wow, your words are encouraging, thanks again!!!

I will try to install a loopback Linux and I will tell you!! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users