13 replies to this topic

#1 hyperjase

hyperjase

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

Hi all,

I've found this issue several times and don't know what to do about it ... I just can't figure it.

IPB Image

Circled is the track in question. I've cut it, first just a knife mark across, with copper shown so I know when it's been cut. That still showed a trace! I made the cut slightly wider, then again I tried with my multimeter, again it still shows a trace!!

I have no idea what to do now, I have 3 drives I need to do but aren't risking it until I have this one sussed (it's a test board, I just want to read the key, fix it back then re-flash it to test I can do it).

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks

HJ

#2 Dark Mod

Dark Mod

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Electronic services and upgrades
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:40 PM

why it still shows a trace because components still carry a resistance bro, if you have a multitester and it have the beep sound on the continuity and you put the two leads on either side of the trace and it don't beep but reads the measurements instead, all is well, if it beeps and it shows zeros, it have continuity on that trace

#3 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:50 PM

are you testing ohms or continuity. looks fine to me, just jump the 101 trace and dump w/ what ever 2 prong probe you have.

#4 Svantesson666

Svantesson666

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:53 PM

The reason might be because one of the cuts at the top ain't good enough. I had a similar problem once which surprised me at first until I found the reason. The cut in the circle is clearly good enough (infact, a bit too good wink.gif ).

Edited by Svantesson666, 02 December 2010 - 11:54 PM.

#5 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

that is not it. if anything, his cuts are way to big, but that will work for dumping. all he has to do is install the boxxdr jump and double probe the board.

#6 Buzzcut

Buzzcut

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:51 AM

I did one the other day and it confused the hell out of me...turned out to be the resistance setting I had the multimeter on, 20K instead of the normal 200. With the traces cut it was showing 7.9 rather than 1 i.e. no connection. After about 10 mins of cutting, testing, cutting deeper, testing it suddenly dawned on me.

As Dark Mod says, look to see if you've got 100% continuity rather than a complete lack of it.

#7 hyperjase

hyperjase

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:55 AM

Here's my multimeter:

IPB Image

I have it set to this for anything I want to check for continuity. I have tried it with the next setting, 200Ω then it shows nothing, after fixing the track above so it's one conitinuous part, it shows 0.02. I'm still getting to grips with having to cut these boards, I hate it! Things were much simpler previously, now it's got tricky and to be honest, I've written off 2 xboxes because this didn't go right, so this time, I'm getting it right!!

Thanks for your assistance all, muchly appreciated!

HJ

#8 Buzzcut

Buzzcut

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

I always set to 200 Ohms...one next to the circled Diode check. If you get 0 either side of the trace then it's not cut properly.

#9 hyperjase

hyperjase

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(Buzzcut @ Dec 4 2010, 10:36 AM) View Post

I always set to 200 Ohms...one next to the circled Diode check. If you get 0 either side of the trace then it's not cut properly.

Thanks for the info, I've just obtained the key, fixed the cuts and re-flashed it so I know it's working ok.

So set to 200Ω it should show something other than 0. I just want to make sure this is right before I move on to a live drive! It should have a reading of at least something to show the track has been cut ... ?

Sorry sometimes the simplest things confuse me!

Thanks again,

HJ

#10 Dark Mod

Dark Mod

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(hyperjase @ Dec 4 2010, 04:55 AM) View Post

Here's my multimeter:

IPB Image

I have it set to this for anything I want to check for continuity. I have tried it with the next setting, 200Ω then it shows nothing, after fixing the track above so it's one conitinuous part, it shows 0.02. I'm still getting to grips with having to cut these boards, I hate it! Things were much simpler previously, now it's got tricky and to be honest, I've written off 2 xboxes because this didn't go right, so this time, I'm getting it right!!

Thanks for your assistance all, muchly appreciated!

HJ

ah bro....you see the diode symbol you have in red circle, that's for continuity, ensure whenever you get a next drive, use that part on the tester next time

#11 turny

turny

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE(Dark Mod @ Dec 4 2010, 03:03 PM) View Post

ah bro....you see the diode symbol you have in red circle, that's for continuity, ensure whenever you get a next drive, use that part on the tester next time

no thats for testing a diode,hence the diode symbol,it will give you a millivolt reading in the forward direction
of the diode,and none in the reverse direction,its not for measuring resistance.
Buzzcut is correct, use the 200 ohm scale for continuity.

#12 Dark Mod

Dark Mod

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(turny @ Dec 4 2010, 11:44 AM) View Post

no thats for testing a diode,hence the diode symbol,it will give you a millivolt reading in the forward direction
of the diode,and none in the reverse direction,its not for measuring resistance.
Buzzcut is correct, use the 200 ohm scale for continuity.

the diode symbol in alot of testers is used for measuring continuity in any electronic item, how can you set it in the ohms mode and expect it to be in continuity....show me facts of it cause i think i'm in the electronic field too bloody long to be arguing about a tester setting, especially for a disposable electronic dvdplayer called the xbox

http://www.ladyada.n...continuity.html

READ!!!!

#13 Buzzcut

Buzzcut

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

There are many ways to skin a cat. I was just saying that if a 200 ohm setting is showing 0 ohms then the trace isn't cut.

Works for me anyway.

It even says on that page "You can always use a resistance-tester (ohmmeter) to figure out if something is connected"

Edited by Buzzcut, 04 December 2010 - 07:26 PM.

#14 hyperjase

hyperjase

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

Sorry if I've caused a "heated debate" on this subject!

I used the ohm setting and confirmed everything, all was fine and my test board was a-ok and earlier I did a 9 series Liteon, no issues there, all fine!!

I will be using the ohm setting from now on, if I don't get a reading (ie my meter shows zero, no change from no probes on the board) then I know it's a good cut.

Thanks for your excellent, prompt assitance guys, very invaluable!

Cheers and seasons greetings

HJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users