Help, Please: 'cant't Install Portio64.sys'
Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:45 PM
I have win7 64.
Via6421 sata card, which is showing up in device manager with yellow exclamation.
When I run jungleflasher, I get the 'can't install portio64.sys' message.
I have the latest version of jungleflasher, which I thought installed the portio driver on the fly?
My pc is in test mode (watermark in the bottom right hand corner), so I'm at a loss to know what I'm doing wrong.
Any help gratefully received.
Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:04 PM
Since Windows Vista 64 Bit and upwards it is necessary that every driver is signed. Because
the DosFlash driver will not be signed by MS due to some unknown reason we need to cicumvent
this check. You have the following 2 possibilities to do this.
Safe Way of Disabling Driver Signature Enforcement
1) On Windows 7 bootup press F8 to get to the extended boot options screen
2) Choose "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"
3) To start DosFlash right click on it in Windows Explorer and choose
"Run as administrator" > answer the message box with "Yes"
4) Short after the program started a "Program Compatibility Assistant" warning message
is displayed, you can simply ignore this by pressing the "Close" button
Recommended Way of Disabling Driver Signature Enforcement
1) Disable User Account Control (UAC)
- go to "Start Menu" > "Control Panel" > "User Accounts and Family Safety" > "User Accounts"
- click on "Change User Account Control settings"
- set the slider bar to the lowest value (Never notify) > click "OK"
2) Sign the DosFlash driver
- download the "Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider" (DSEO) from
- start DSEO > click "Next" > "Yes" > choose "Sign a System File" > "Next" > enter the path to
the used driver (portio32.sys or portio64.sys) > "OK" > "OK"
3) Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
- start DSEO > click "Next" > "Yes" > choose "Enable Test Mode" > "Next" > "OK"
4) Restart the computer
Keep in mind that with the recommended way the changes will have effect on every reboot without
doing anything manual. The first way needs to be done over and over again. In addition the second
way can be used to sign every driver that doesn't run natively on Windows 7.
tl;dr: The driver isn't signed, so it won't function on Windows 7 x64 without disabling driver checks.
Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:12 PM
So I don't think that's the problem.
Tried installing the portio64 driver, but of course i's a .sys fil and win7 won't touch that - it wants an .inf.
Edit: I am running jungleflasher as an administrator too.
2nd edit: tried disabling enforced driver signing via F8 on bootup - and that seemed to do the trick!
Edited by matthewcb, 08 December 2010 - 11:54 PM.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users