Photo

Painting My Case And Having Problems Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joesgotflow

joesgotflow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

Hello I decided to paint my case but am getting very frustrated the paint is bubbling up I dont get it?? I am using Krylon?? I have sanded it and washed it any tips on how to stop the bubbling??

Thanks in advanced!!

#2 blondie85

blondie85

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

You need to do it in quite thin coats, even if it doesn't give complete coverage on each coat. Bubbling sounds like you might be putting it on too thick.

#3 joesgotflow

joesgotflow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(blondie85 @ Dec 10 2010, 10:15 AM) View Post

You need to do it in quite thin coats, even if it doesn't give complete coverage on each coat. Bubbling sounds like you might be putting it on too thick.

No not at all I am doing thin coats??? should i try Primer?

#4 NiC_CC

NiC_CC

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:02 AM

bubbling means the paint isn't bonding to the plastic. In order to fix the problem, you'll need to re-sand and start over (sucks, I know).

In order to prevent it from happening again, I'd advise using a very diluted mix of normal dish soap and lukewarm water to wash the case in. Do not use dish soap with hand softeners or ones that have anti-bacterial stuff. Wash as if it were a dirty dish. Rinse it well and let it dry 24 hours before painting.

Primer is a plus, but not having it while using Krylon is probably not your problem though. Also, make sure you are following the instructions on the can, especially the temperature you are working in. 30 degree weather will ruin a paint job. I've been there, and my results were actually quite humorous.

EDIT: Said bad paint job that turned out awesome (in its own special way).
IPB Image

Edited by NiC_CC, 11 December 2010 - 12:09 AM.

#5 Reama

Reama

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:31 AM

That paint job is actually pretty damn awesome. Looks like you salvaged that from a crater or something, haha. Also, for your bubbling problem, primer and resanding it down does work very well. However, if you're lazy, Change up what line of Krylon you're using if you're willing to spend the money, they have a line specifically made for bonding to plastic and it works pretty well.

#6 Grifter357

Grifter357

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE(joesgotflow @ Dec 10 2010, 12:39 PM) View Post

Hello I decided to paint my case but am getting very frustrated the paint is bubbling up I dont get it?? I am using Krylon?? I have sanded it and washed it any tips on how to stop the bubbling??

Thanks in advanced!!

Are you using Krylon fusion paint, the fusion line from krylon is made for plastic.

Edited by Grifter357, 13 December 2010 - 04:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users