Photo

Should I Backup Nand Before Getting Banned?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 magic_man185

magic_man185

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

I have an xbox that hasn't been online since October of 2009, before iXtreme LT first came out. I didn't go online because I did the "check the service website to see if you are banned" and it appears that I am flagged for banning. I understand that that was always speculation, but I didn't want to risk it. I never went on live to test if I was banned because at the time if you were banned you could no longer play games from the hard drive. IIRC, that capability was given back to banned consoles with a later dashboard. I am planning to take the xbox on live, and was wondering if there is any reason to backup the nand before doing so, so I can recover if needed. Is there anything I lose, other than live connection obviously, by getting banned? I am want to use the xbox as a u-verse receiver, and you only need live long enough to install the service, so I am hoping it will get on live for a couple of minutes (hopefully it takes a minute to register the ban, I have heard of this happening before I think) long enough to install the service, then if it gets banned no big deal. I am also going to revert to stock firmware in the off chance it is not already flagged. Any other advice?

Thanks.

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

If your box is banned or flagged for banning you won't be able to use LIVE for any period of time. Your console will allow game installs, but all data modified after the ban on this specific console will show as corrupted on other consoles.

You can make a backup of your NAND, but if LIVE requires you to update before actually banning you it will become useless.

#3 magic_man185

magic_man185

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

I was thinking of doing the dashboard update from a disc, so that it does not have to connect to xbox live to do that. As far as the corrupting of files, that was the reason I was asking about a nand backup, I thought there was something else that I was forgetting about. So, if I update via a new game (I am guessing a kinect game would have the latest dash?) then perform the NAND backup after the update, but before going online, if I do get banned, I could restore my nand and the save files would not get corrupted, do I understand that correctly?

#4 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

Yes. The backup would serve that function as long as you have already updated your dashboard.

#5 magic_man185

magic_man185

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:09 PM

Ok, so I have been searching, but I have had no luck. Could you possibly refer me to a link for instructions on backing up the NAND? I am hoping there is an easy way to backup via USB, as I have heard to backup the jasper it takes a couple of days with lpt port. If you can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if it is too much work to backup the nand, is the write protect on the NAND chip still an option? I would prefer a backup just in case, but we will see.

Thanks again.

#6 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

Sticky. This will have some information regarding flashing a console for exploit, as well as uncrippling. Obviously exploiting your console is not possible, but the tutorials contain the information you need.

Backing up Jaspers only takes a long period of time over LPT if it's an arcade version with onboard memory. A normal 16MiB NAND takes approximately 45 minutes to an hour to dump over LPT.

Edited by Aldanga, 10 December 2010 - 10:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users