• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike5150

Mike5150

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:34 AM

Hi there. I'm sure you guys are sick of these questions, so If it's easier to point me to a tutorial on how to test or diagnose this myself that would be helpful also! I have read a bunch of different threads explaining how to replace the laser, but I'm not sure if it's even the laser that is the problem.

Here's what's happening. When I insert a disk (game, dvd, blu-ray dvd or audio cd doesn't matter) the drive pulls the disk into the drive. The little clock icon at the top right corner of my XMB screen turns continuously. That's about it, the disk does not show up or get recognized by the PS3. The disk does not spin either once it is pulled in by the drive.

I have pulled apart the PS3 and Blu-ray drive, the motor does not smell burnt, and the lens looks crystal clear (I am going to buy some lens cleaning solution tomorrow and clean it anyways, but I have a feeling that it's not acting up because it's dirty)

From what I've read, it could either be a faulty laser, a faulty lens, or a faulty motor. How do I determine which it is? I have already watched the tutorials and torn apart the drive to the point of feeling confident on being able to replace these parts, but I need to know how to tell which one is the problem.

Thanks!
Mike

#2 ndrew2505

ndrew2505

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:50 AM

sounds like the laser. its about the cheapest part so id start there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users