X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

so guys heres my xbox 360 slim fan mod!

i exchanged the original slim fan and took a noiseblocker xe1 in.
i did cut the corners from the fan and did some holes around the fan for the flexlight!
and heres the result.

by the way the fan is runnin @ 5v and blows air in instead of blowin air out, absoloutly silent and the temps are da same.

check out da pics.

i also did a slim psu fan mod, pics are comin...

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Edited by undmor, 19 December 2010 - 03:06 PM.

#2 Reama

Reama

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

Looks like a clean job, I like it. Gonna go for a blue rol too?

#3 undmor

undmor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(Reama @ Dec 20 2010, 12:10 AM) View Post

Looks like a clean job, I like it. Gonna go for a blue rol too?

thanks, yeah i wanna have a blue rol but im not very good at soldering, maybe i should try a gren flexlight!?

btw, greetz from berlin germany to seattle!!!

Edited by undmor, 19 December 2010 - 11:39 PM.

#4 Zeck

Zeck

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:23 AM

http://www.frozencpu...M_-_17_dBA.html

This is the fan in question? I'm interested in doing this same mod because my slim overheated tonight after a couple hours of Fallout 3.

#5 undmor

undmor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

yes that is the right fan.
but dont forget, you have to cut the corners from the fan to fit in the case.
and the most important thing is how to install it, like i said before, the fan must blow air in, right to the cgpu heatsink, thats much more effecive then blowing air out!

p.s. the flexlight is seperately, you have to make holes in the fan frame.
heres the flexlight:

http://www.caseking....lue::10518.html

Edited by undmor, 20 December 2010 - 10:18 AM.

#6 DARKFiB3R

DARKFiB3R

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

Are you sure it's more effective? wouldn't have MS had it that way around in the first place if that was the case in this instance?

What method are you using to get a temperature reading?

Nice little mod, looks good smile.gif

#7 undmor

undmor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

very simple, you can massure with your hand and if you install the fan blowin in, the air that comes out is colder then when you install the fan blowin out.

and with a fan replacemant you have a absoloutly unherable xbox 360 slim.

its like a pc cpu cooler, all of the pc coolers have fans blowin right to the cpu heatsink, and why, cuz its more effective.

so always remember, blowin is better then sucking (oh man how pervert that sounds)...

Edited by undmor, 21 December 2010 - 12:18 AM.

#8 Rokstar Arrogant

Rokstar Arrogant

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:03 AM

Does that flexlight just plug in on the motherboard somewhere or do you have to tap into a power source somewhere. I also have a slim and am about to put in some led's once I get my case cut, sanded, and painted...just didnt know how to hook up the leds.

P.S. If you want to change your ROL on the slim but dont wanna tackle it yourself, you may hit up n3ro on here, he done the slim board already and it turned out great. Sending him mine after the holidays to have it changed to match the led's Im putting in my case as mentioned above......that is if someone helps me figure out how to wire them up...lol. Anyway, he's a champ at it....highly recommended!!!

P.S.S. That fan looks killer on yours.....def jealous.....lol. Great job!

Edited by Rokstar Arrogant, 21 December 2010 - 02:11 AM.

#9 undmor

undmor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:30 AM

for the flexlight you just have to use the original fan pins but just the firt 2 pins from the left, thats where you can get 12v for the flexlight and you need those because the flexlight dont work on 5v!

and for the rol thing that not a good idea, because i live in berlin germany!

again this mod is very simple, get a 92mm fan (with transparent blades if possible for the better shining of the flexlight) a flexlight (available in blue red green and uv), then cut the corners of the fan, make holes for the flexlight, install the flexlight and finally the fan and thats it, looks awesome and is not hearable.

you can also use 12v for the fan but that will not be silent but very cool!

p.s. and dont forget to post pics after done the mod, greetz!

#10 ethan071891

ethan071891

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:43 AM

This may be a dumb question but if the fan is blowing air in where does the exhaust go? Seems like the heat would build up inside because of how cramped it is inside the slim case.

#11 undmor

undmor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:20 AM

no, that wont happen because the hot air goes out where normaly the air comes in, from the side vents.

Edited by undmor, 22 December 2010 - 10:20 AM.

#12 codec192

codec192

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

I'm considering just buying a LED 92mm fan to replace the stock. Seems like it may end up being more fiscally sound. I'll probably leave it facing out so no dust accrues. I also like to think Microsoft actually did some R&D so this box wouldn't totally f*** up from overheating but I could be wrong. Now to determine the best way to get those stickers off without tearing. Heard a rumour they are heat sensitive. Either way I'm waiting for the FW before doing this so I may kill two birds with one stone.
This?
http://www.directron...ld09025s1m.html

Edited by codec192, 25 December 2010 - 09:21 AM.

#13 undmor

undmor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

yes the stickers are heat sensitive.
the 92mm led fan is a very good idea.

have no fear to try things with the fan out, in the worst case the slim shuts down to prevent damage so the slim is absoloutly save, nothing can happen except the automatic shutdown!

the same on the psu, i tried it without a fan and after 30 min it shutted down because of overheating, but thats ok, nothing can brake or something like that.

again the worst that can happen is a automatically shutdown.

p.s. ive tried the fan @ 5v blowing out of the case and it overheated so blowing in is way more effective, no overheating, even after 6 hours of gears of war 2 multiplayer!

#14 DARKFiB3R

DARKFiB3R

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(undmor @ Dec 20 2010, 11:17 PM) View Post

very simple, you can massure with your hand and if you install the fan blowin in, the air that comes out is colder then when you install the fan blowin out.

and with a fan replacemant you have a absoloutly unherable xbox 360 slim.

its like a pc cpu cooler, all of the pc coolers have fans blowin right to the cpu heatsink, and why, cuz its more effective.

so always remember, blowin is better then sucking (oh man how pervert that sounds)...

That's a pretty unreliable test.

To an extent, hot air coming out is a good thing, at least then you know the heat is being removed.

PC's have a much bigger cavity, and also intake/exhaust fans to expel the heat blown away from the heatsink. It's all about a good air flow throughout the system.

I'm not trying to bash what you've done at all. But I would be interested to know an actual temp reading.

How come it over heated when placed the other way around? (apart from showing that it's less effective) does the fan have a lower rpm/cfm than the stock fan? Do you have it running at a fixed speed, rather than auto adjusted by the xbox. Just find it strange that it would over heat if it was doing the same job as a stock fan.

#15 undmor

undmor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(DARKFiB3R @ Dec 29 2010, 12:09 PM) View Post

That's a pretty unreliable test.

To an extent, hot air coming out is a good thing, at least then you know the heat is being removed.

PC's have a much bigger cavity, and also intake/exhaust fans to expel the heat blown away from the heatsink. It's all about a good air flow throughout the system.

I'm not trying to bash what you've done at all. But I would be interested to know an actual temp reading.

How come it over heated when placed the other way around? (apart from showing that it's less effective) does the fan have a lower rpm/cfm than the stock fan? Do you have it running at a fixed speed, rather than auto adjusted by the xbox. Just find it strange that it would over heat if it was doing the same job as a stock fan.

i have nothing to measure right now!
but again when i install it blowin out it overheats, the fan runs at a fixed speed at 5v about 650 rpm.
but blowin in works perfekt at that speed.

maybe thats because of the stock fan, ever looked at ist?
its made especially for sucking, it has different blades.
and pc fans are allways made for blowin.

maybe someone makes this mod too and can measure the temps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users