5 replies to this topic

#1 ExitRooster

ExitRooster

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:31 AM

So I'm wondering what the big diff is between these two things? Been reading posts haven't seen any clear-cut 'this does this and that does that' sort of info.. Help the curious? (would you want to do both? lol)

#2 Guy Montag

Guy Montag

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

I think doing both would be redundant. Doing the firmware is probably easiest but the main drawback is you have to have physical discs to play in the xbox 360. The main advantage of jtagging is the ability to use an external or larger internal hard drive to store 'backup' games on. The convenience of not needing to get up and down every time you want to change games or whatever and peace of mind you have that if you lose or scratch your original disc that they will still work is nice (if you have backups on your hard drive and aren't using the physical discs anymore). I've done the firmware and it was cool, I did the JTAG and it was a pain in the ass but is SUPER COOL. Now, whenever I want to mod a console I just buy one already JTAG'd by someone else. For $175 it's the easiest and best way to go in my opinion. Hope this helps!

Edited by Guy Montag, 22 December 2010 - 07:32 PM.

#3 Didrik

Didrik

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE(Guy Montag @ Dec 22 2010, 07:31 PM) View Post

I think doing both would be redundant. Doing the firmware is probably easiest but the main drawback is you have to have physical discs to play in the xbox 360. The main advantage of jtagging is the ability to use an external or larger internal hard drive to store 'backup' games on. The convenience of not needing to get up and down every time you want to change games or whatever and peace of mind you have that if you lose or scratch your original disc that they will still work is nice (if you have backups on your hard drive and aren't using the physical discs anymore). I've done the firmware and it was cool, I did the JTAG and it was a pain in the ass but is SUPER COOL. Now, whenever I want to mod a console I just buy one already JTAG'd by someone else. For $175 it's the easiest and best way to go in my opinion. Hope this helps!

Indeed, and with the JTAG you can play arcade games, install add-ons and even (on some games) mod the files like you would on the PC!

#4 Reama

Reama

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.1 (opus)

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:03 AM

Basically to sum up what they both said and to reiterate on a bit of it.

A flashed 360 (Dvd firmware) can play burnt games. That's it. You flash it with a computer and you're good to go.

A JTAG is an xbox modified to run unsigned code which means you have the ability to install a larger hard drive, or use an external for media, as well as play games off of them and play downloaded dlc.

Only issue is that making a JTAG is a pain in the ass. I'm in the process of making my 5th one with a friend right now and dumping it with just an lpt cable takes forever. If you want the advantage of not having to burn a disk and have dlc as an option, along with arcade games (Without having to sign in as a profile they give you with a dlc) I'd go with a jtag as they're much better.

#5 GISJason

GISJason

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Hacking anything w/ a TSOP....<br /><br />Modems, Xboxs, 360s, Etc.....
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

YES JTAG FTW! Save more of your buck in the long run!

DVD Drive flashes in my option isn't worth it these days with M$ and their AP2.5 schemes even tho the scene has done a awesome job releasin' firmwares to flash and upgrade your DVD Drive so it stays safe on LIVE as much as possible but yes sometimes it's not that easy as your average user cannot do a MRA hack to write a updated firmware to the DVD Drive...

I've got a JTAG and another 360 that's flashed with iXtreme 1.5.1 or 1.6 not sure, but what sucks about it is it had a stock 7xxx Lite-on in it which I dumped and flashed without any issues but after I wrote the last firmware to it which I then tried to update to LT+ just to find out I no longer can update it unless I do the MRA Hack sad.gif Wish I was told that the previous FW I flashed to it would require this MRA method to dump again, cuz now it's stuck with this old FW which would get banned if it went onto LIVE. I know I could have flashed it and done it without the MRA had I still had the PC with the Drive Keys in the DB but I don't sad.gif

So next time I get another 360 in I'm not flashin the DVD Drive but leavin' it alone for LIVE use only and using the JTAG for my homebrew and backups.

#6 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

JTAG-
Run unsigned code
Install games and XBLA games and DLC to HDD and play from HDD
Homebrew apps and such
NOT LIVE SAFE AT ALL
System has to meet certain criteria to be JTAG, must be made before 6/18/2009 and had no updates since around that time.

Firmware mod-
Play burned games on DVD+R DL media
Can play at live with a possible risk of being banned.

Edited by BoNg420, 04 January 2011 - 06:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users