5 replies to this topic

#1 MinerWilly

MinerWilly

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

Is the internal hdd of the xbox360 supposed to spin down if inactive for a few minutes? I have just swapped the stock 20GB to a 2TB hdd in my jtaged 360 and have never noticed the stock hdd to spin down. Or is it just that it spins up again so much faster than my new hdd? Now the console always freezes for some 5+ seconds when it has to spin up again.

Surely hdd's don't have any powersaving features of their own? Shouldn't you chose that option in the system you're running? I'm a firm believer myself that having the hdd to spin down/up constantly wear it down quicker than having it on all the time.

#2 billybob360

billybob360

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

Yes newer hdd's do have this feature. (power save)

Go to the maker of your drive (website) and download the tools specific for the model. Plug it into windows and you can deactivate the feature/s that are not needed via the tools.

#3 MinerWilly

MinerWilly

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE(billybob360 @ Dec 23 2010, 01:34 PM) View Post

Yes newer hdd's do have this feature. (power save)

Go to the maker of your drive (website) and download the tools specific for the model. Plug it into windows and you can deactivate the feature/s that are not needed via the tools.

Had a look and found nothing! It's a Samsung HD203WI http://www.samsung.c...mp;model_cd=513

What an annoying "feature". Using this drive in the pc would bug the hell out of me!

#4 billybob360

billybob360

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

Using this drive in the PC would see no effect. The fact that you using it for xbox is the reason you noticing the feature doing its business. The drives were designed specifically for PC not for xbox. The xbox drives do not have this "feature".

Never had a samsung hdd - so cannot offer any further advice. BUT from doing some google searches there seems to be some solutions on how to disable it via the bios. But I will not comment further as I do not have drive myself to test out the solutions.

Most HDD manufacturers have tools to select/deselect certain features - seems samsung may not be one of them. (try searching the drive specific to your country and not via the global site)

Hopefully someone else around here has the same drive and can offer some further opinion/help.

Goodluck!

#5 MinerWilly

MinerWilly

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(billybob360 @ Dec 24 2010, 02:04 PM) View Post

Never had a samsung hdd - so cannot offer any further advice. BUT from doing some google searches there seems to be some solutions on how to disable it via the bios. But I will not comment further as I do not have drive myself to test out the solutions.

Most HDD manufacturers have tools to select/deselect certain features - seems samsung may not be one of them. (try searching the drive specific to your country and not via the global site)

Hopefully someone else around here has the same drive and can offer some further opinion/help.

Goodluck!

Okay, thanks for trying to help. There were one utility at Samsungs site to be run from dos but i think it was to test the drive for errors.

QUOTE(billybob360 @ Dec 24 2010, 02:04 PM) View Post

Using this drive in the PC would see no effect. The fact that you using it for xbox is the reason you noticing the feature doing its business. The drives were designed specifically for PC not for xbox. The xbox drives do not have this "feature".

But wouldn't it also spin down in the pc? I meant that it would be really annoying using in the pc since the computer would always freeze for a few seconds every time it had to access the drive after a few minutes of inactivity. In the 360 it isn't as bad because when playing a game it rarely get the few minutes of inactivity to spin down.

Edited by MinerWilly, 24 December 2010 - 01:17 PM.

#6 Toddler

Toddler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

The issue you're running into is indeed controlled by the drive's firmware. You really don't want to use a drive in the 360 that's going to spin down quickly. It will really hurt in games like Rock Band, where each new song in a playlist will skip. Western Digital drives can be configured by running WDIDLE3 from DOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users