3 replies to this topic

#1 Emmy008

Emmy008

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 12:13 AM

For people who do not know what ECM stands for:
ECM: electronic counter measure and it downloads a software which flags your tsop and causes in such a way to modify your tsop so that your xbox does not work.

Does M$ have the rights to modify their tsops in such away that your console will no longer work? I know dishnet and bev have those rights in North America to take down illegal sats. Its not illegal to send ecms, and if they did, is there away to reflash the orignal tsop back in.

This is only concerning with connecting XBL.

#2 ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 12:57 AM

I respect that you're trying to sound cool here, but in what way would that the a Electronic counter measure.
For people who do not know (including you obviously) what the expression ECM is commonly used for: it is a device for fighter/airplane pilots that you can eject in order to jam or disctract radar signals rockets.
What you are talking about is simply an anti-mod software or whatever word you want to invent for it to make it sound cooler biggrin.gif
Enough flaming now, back ontopic: flashing the TSOP requires the write-protection-connection to be soldered. If that connection is not closed there is no way to manipulate the TSOP. Of course there would be other ways to disable modded xbox's, e.g. scanning for games on HDD and delete whatever it finds (dashboards as well).
But don't forget about two major points:
1) You are M$'s customer - they would not want to piss you off. They might try to secure future consoles but I doubt they will have big hits against homebrew/backup users.

2) The software need to be deployed *somehow*. Option A would be using a game: the release groups would quickly release a patch that removes the scanning/flashing part. Option B would be via Xbox Live which has two problems: not everyone is using it and the ones who use it are most likely people who actually bought the game -> don't piss off legit customers, they might just use their xbox for playing emus or whatever.

Either way, I highly doubt there will be anti-mod or anti-dash-hack measures done that way, at least none that would seriously affect the end user. Only the future can tell for sure but don't trouble yourself too much about M$ crashing your xbox...

#3 jfxwave

jfxwave

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 04:10 AM

Emmy008: I see what you’re asking and I’m not going to try to be cooler then you and flame you as ZakMcRofl did cool.gif . It might be possible for M$ to do an ECM like hit on the Xbox. I don’t think M$ will but I’m sure they have the knowledge to do such a hit. When they ban someone from Live it can be called an ECM in my opinion.

ZakMcRofl
The term “ECM” has been used for detecting and disrupting pirating software and hardware for over 10 years that I know of. And yes you are correct about airplanes. I bet more people would tell you that the meaning of “ECM” is for zapping there sat cards then an airplanes defense weapon. Which one would you remember? (LOL) I would remember not having TV for a week… grr.gif

#4 ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:27 AM

Heh I'm sorry for flaming him, it was late u know smile.gif Anyways its not exactly electronic in this case so the term isn't 100% correct. Also if M$ wanted to stop this, they could have done it a long time ago. They didn't do shit against modchips (or modchip users) maybe for the reasons I mentioned.
We'll see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users