• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 runwave87

runwave87

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:25 AM

Basically they talked about how the PS3 has totally failed in security, by botching the pki implementation it became possible to calculate the keys needed to sign everything, in short PUBLIC PRIVATE KEYS!

http://twitter.com/fail0verflow
http://www.joystiq.c...ling-unauthori/

#2 Rustmonkey

Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:50 AM

It seems this could be pretty big - i.e. custom firmware which would open up a whole world of possibilities in line with the level of development on the original XBOX and beyond. Looking forward to where the homebrew scene goes with this!

#3 gehx

gehx

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE(Rustmonkey @ Dec 31 2010, 12:50 AM) View Post

It seems this could be pretty big - i.e. custom firmware which would open up a whole world of possibilities in line with the level of development on the original XBOX and beyond. Looking forward to where the homebrew scene goes with this!

yep! +1 pop.gif

#4 somenutter

somenutter

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:00 AM

This looks really good , cant wait for proper homebrew on ps3 without the need of usb sticks, id love to see x.264 videos running also

#5 Pingu82

Pingu82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

Actually the need for a custom FW will not be needed.
Hopefully this will make us able to sign our own code, just as sony does on any retail game.

If you haven`t seen fail0verflows presentation at 27C3 I would recommend it, gave me a laugh considering how the "gods" at sony r&d generates their random numbers smile.gif

#6 craxor5354

craxor5354

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

does that mean we can play back ups without even modding the console? and we wont get banned for modding our consoles?

#7 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:49 AM

Please do not post the PS3 "ROOT" key here. I do not quite yet know what the legality of this is.

If it is OK then the original posts will be displayed. Untill then, yes, we know Geohot leaked the key and a quick web seach will find what you need.

-Hamwbone

http://forums.xbox-s...owtopic=726511

#8 Unimatrix47

Unimatrix47

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

Why come no one is discussing this here? I understand that for now were not allowed to post the keys. But why is there hardly any discussion going on? Is there another forum that is more active somewhere?

#9 chewdiggy

chewdiggy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

Good article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-12116051

#10 STICKY_BUD

STICKY_BUD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

i wish there was more discussion and sharing of info here too. all of the other forums i have tried browsing for info are full of forced click advertisements and popups. in other words, they suck!

anyway, it seems that geohot and fail0verflow team have completed their goals of hacking the console for linux so they may simply choose to clean up the code they have created so far and let others take over...

which makes me wonder if some new dongle will show up or some other kind of device that hackers are designing in the background. if there is money to be made, i fully expect some very well known xbox modchip device manufacturers to get involved too.

Edited by STICKY_BUD, 08 January 2011 - 02:27 AM.

#11 Rustmonkey

Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:59 AM

PSX-SCENE has quite a bit of discussion mixed in with some lame posts... I'm not sure how much developer discussion goes on there though, although I know there is SOME... however, the site gets bogged down by all the advertisements... mad.gif

#12 thewhipedone

thewhipedone

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

I've been around for the Xbox and the 360 modding/cracking but am new to the ps3. Is any of this going to lead to a way to get the dvd key (bd key)? Or even a way to lock a new drive to it? I took a few Ps3's in on trade to find out the had the wrong pcb on the Blueray drive.

#13 Ultra_Extreme

Ultra_Extreme

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

I REALLY cant believe there isnt more scene talk about this, this is HUGE! If we sign our own code not only is the machine open for homebrew and backups but there is NO POSSIBLE WAY for the machine to distinguish hacked code from legitimate code it may be the first console mod ever that will render actual modding unecessary.

I for one am very excitted about this and am now ordering a ps3 slim to keep offline and to one side until the specifics of this have been revealed, could be something of the end for the mainstream ps3 though like the PSP devs wont want to work on a console where copies can be spread on the open market to people with unmodded consoles.

The word at the moment is that the only way sony could FIX this would be to recall all PS3's worldwide and revise the hardware.....yeah right. So its open season boys!

Edited by Ultra_Extreme, 08 January 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#14 Unimatrix47

Unimatrix47

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:44 AM

I wouldnt doubt if the lack of talk about this is because the hackers are in talks with mod chip makers so they can cash in. Cant blame them..

#15 Ultra_Extreme

Ultra_Extreme

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

nah, for one the hacker geohot publicly at least will not aid piracy. But more importantly THE KEY IS OUT! I think the importance of this has been missed!

The key is what is used to make software read as legitimate, this has NEVER BEEN DONE! Basically means you could sign a hacked game rip and put it in a retail PS3 and play it with NO MODDING AT ALL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users