Photo

Installing Title Updates Without An "internal" Hdd?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Teddite

Teddite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:09 AM

Hi there, I recently picked up a JTAG and it's been running great, but I can't get any title updates (and therefore any DLC) to work. Everything I read says to inject the TU files into partition3/cache, but after letting the xbox format my external HDD I have no partition3.

Xtaf shows both a cache and content folder, but title updates left in the cache folder aren't applying to games. Modio shows only partition0/content. I've tried multiple games and title updates to make sure it wasn't just a fluke.

So it seems that without an "internal HDD", I have no partition 3 and no ability to update/patch games. Is this true? Or is there some obvious work-around that I've failed to find?

Sorry if this has been covered/is misplaced. I'm new and search doesn't seem to be working.

#2 Ketchup_Bomb

Ketchup_Bomb

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Lacrosse, Running
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:30 AM

Are you running any kind of homebrew dashboard? XeXMenu? FreeStyleDash? If so, try FTP'ing over TU's.

I have personally experimented with Title Updates a bunch. They are a pain, but they for sure work on external devices. So it's a matter of getting your Xbox to recognize them.

Which version of XTAF are you using? Are you transferring multiple TU's at once? Or one by one? I have heard of issues with mass-transfers. What operating system? 32 or 64 bit?

#3 Teddite

Teddite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:24 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've got both XeXMenu and FreeStyleDash available, though XeX refuses to load with anything in the game folder (and it's a pain to direct to the games xex each time I want to play) so I use FreeStyleDash almost exclusively.

My XTAF version is labeled as v44, and worked fine for placing both XeXMenu and FreeStyleDash on the HDD.
I've tried transferring a single TU, and when it failed to load I placed many TU's in the partition0/cache folder (even tried a cache folder on the root of the HDD, just in case).

I'm running on 64 bit Vista.

I'll try looking into FTP'ing over title updates, but that may be a bit beyond my ability until I've read quite a bit more about JTAG.

#4 Ketchup_Bomb

Ketchup_Bomb

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:24 AM

Are you running the application as Administrator? Vista is a pretty buggy OS, but I'm not going to jump to blaming it.

The way XTAF v44 displays the contents of your USB device puts you in partition3. Like so:
IPB Image

Both the "Cache Partition" and "Data Partition" are in partition3. So you're basically viewing the contents of partition3.
Within the "Cache Partition" folder, there should be another folder called "Cache". This is where the TU's go. Mine doesn't list any because I don't have any TU's on the drive at the moment. Verify that this is what your setup looks like. Care to post a screen shot of what XTAF displays?
(Also, disregard "Cache2". It's left over from a TitleManagement app for my JTAG. It does nothing.)

FTP'ing to your JTAG is extremely easy, and is extremely versatile.

1) I would recommend to disable Live access in the Family Settings pane. Both Live access and the creation of Live accounts. This will prevent any communication with Live servers which could potentially become problematic.

2) Connect your Xbox to your network. (If you want to go straight from computer to Xbox, its a slightly different setup. Just say so, and I can spell out how to do this.)

3) On FreeStyleDash, there is an option to enable showing of the Xbox's IP on the dashboard. Do so, and take note what it is.

4) On your computer, use an FTP client such as CuteFTP or FlashFXP to open up a connection to the IP address of your Xbox. The username and password are both "xbox" (without the quotes) by default.

5) You should then be able to browse disks mounted to the system. Meaning, if the external is plugged into the system, you can browse its contents, and drag and drop items into place.

6) Determine which listing represents your external HDD and open it in your FTP client, then browse to the "Cache" folder on the external.

7) Dump TU's to this directory.

8) Reboot the system, and try loading a title. See if the update was grabbed.

What game/method are you using to verify that the title updates are not taking affect right now?

#5 Teddite

Teddite

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

Everything seems fine with XTAF, at least as far as I can tell.
IPB Image

I've tried to run TU for Borderladnds, Mass Effect 1 &2, Batman Arkham Asylum, and about 8 different XBLA games. I've tried having just a single TU for the specific game in the cache folder, and having all the TU for games I want to update available, but no luck either way.
Maybe the FTP method will work for me.

Also, thank a million for the FTP tutorial (and your help in general), I'll give it a shot as soon as I get home.

Edited by Teddite, 02 January 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#6 Ketchup_Bomb

Ketchup_Bomb

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

That looks correct... Strange that it's not applying as it should.

Are you connecting the device to the system after it has booted? Or while it is off?

Lastly, try putting a few TU's on the device then hook it back up to the Xbox. Go to System Settings and press 'Y' while highlighting the drive in Storage Devices. Clear the system cache. Plug it back into the computer and see if those flies are still there, or if the Xbox actually deleted them. This will narrow down if it's an issue with the Xbox reading the device, or if it's something going on when the game starts that it's not pulling the TU's.

Edited by Ketchup_Bomb, 02 January 2011 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users