thanks all
IPB ImageIPB Image

#17 BuraddoX

BuraddoX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Loves to mod gaming consoles.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(caaraa @ Apr 17 2011, 10:51 AM) View Post

thanks all
IPB ImageIPB Image

Your SPAM go away.

#18 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

Mike Wazowski!

I don't see the point of what their doing. They aren't advertising anything. Their sig pictures don't link anywhere. I say screw it, let them be...

Onward... I promised a full write up and I shall deliver.

A couple of days ago I got my Vantec Iceberq 4 Pro's in the mail from NewEgg.com
Iceberq 4 Pro @ NewEgg.com

I removed the old, big, nasty stock aluminum heat sinks. Then I removed the black plastic retainer that holds the sinks in place. I did something different as everyone else when they do it. Rather than just clipping off the posts, I used a flat head screw driver on its side and pushed the pin down. I grabbed the pin with pliers and lifted it out. Why did I do it this way? Who knows if I'll need it sometime in the future...
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Then I installed the fans. I used the screws that attach the hard drive to the caddy. Before I place the fans on the motherboard, I flipped them up-side-down and worked the screws in the holes a quarter turn at a time until they were threaded in. I used the Thermal grease that came with the Iceberq's. If you notice, I didn't use washers when I screwed in the fans. I did this for 2 reasons. 1) I didn't have any and the nearest hardware store is 2 bus rides away. 2) the mechanical retention is good enough to make a good bond between the copper and the processors. That's good enough for me. They aren't going anywhere.
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Now with he fans installed, I need to lay down the caps. I want the tallest point to be the fans themselves (5/8"). I started with the tallest cap, located near the bottom of the power socket. It was 1"
IPB Image

First I de-soldered it by heating up the points on the under side of the mobo. I heated up one side and rocked it to the other and vice-versa until it came loose (not pictured). Then I soldered in pins where the cap legs should be.
IPB Image

I layed the cap where I wanted it and ghetto-measured how much wire I would need for the leads. I used an old IDE cable. Then I wrapped it in heat shrink.

I soldered the other ends of the leads to the very bottom of the new legs, as close to the mobo as I possible could and clipped off the excess.
IPB Image IPB Image

The reason I soldered in legs rather than soldering to the top pads of the mobo is because now I know that the legs have a solid, two point, connection. One on the bottom pads of the mobo and one on the top pads.

--------------------
--------------------

Next I moved on to the set of 3 caps on the lower left of the mobo.
I de-soldered them the with the same "rocking" method.

Again, I soldered in pins and laid the left and center cap right where they stood. Their silver tops pointing to the rear of the motherboard.
IPB Image IPB Image

The right most cap in this set went a little differently... I didn't want have wires leading it elsewhere. I wanted to save space. I decided to lay it down at the "feet" of the left and center cap. I soldered in pins, but I bent and shaped them to accommodate the position. (the picture is slightly blurry, but you can see what I'm talking about)
IPB Image

I had to bend out the corresponding leg of the cap to accommodate it's position. Then I wrapped it in heat shrink and soldered it in. Pretty neat-o huh?
IPB Image IPB Image

--------------------
--------------------

Next on my rampage of laying down caps was the damn 'ol clock cap. To my surprise, it was still good and functioning properly.

Last on this particular cap laying adventure was the tall one closest to the video socket. I didn't get very many good pictures of this one, but these two should speak volumes:
IPB Image IPB Image

-------------------------
--- Fan Headers! ---
-------------------------

Once upon a time, I read that the second, GPU, fan header was live... there was just nothing there. I heard right.
IPB Image

I de-soldered a fan header from my handy dandy donor / dead PC motherboard.
IPB Image IPB Image

I soldered in pins, top and bottom to get a better connection.
IPB Image

I used an old IDE cable to make a "pigtail" with the fan header at one end. I soldered the other end to the very bottom of the corresponding pins.. as close as I could get it to the motherboard and clipped off the excess.
IPB Image IPB Image

Now.. rather than cutting, re-soldering and wasting heat shrink I made a loop on the Iceberq cable and held it together with a small piece of heat shrink. Why did I do this? Because what if, someday.. God forbid.. this project goes south. Then I could take them off and use them in something else and have their original cable length intact.
IPB Image

The CPU Fan Header... when the fan is plugged in it is exactly 5/8 of an inch tall (not including the wires). I'm trying to go slim here guys... I laid it down (same as the caps) and did a similar cable management technique:
IPB Image IPB Image

----------------------------
---The 5 Silver Caps---
----------------------------

I'm not going to get into cap for cap detail on how I did these things. I used a combination of methods. In a nut shell.. I removed them all. Laid one where it stood, wrapped and soldered leads to the rest and relocated them in the general vicinity.
See the images below:
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

-------------------------------
---Motherboard Done!---
-------------------------------

Ta Daaaa!

Here she is, as slim as I can get her. Less than 1 inch tall... Man-oh-man..

Now that this BS is done, I can get on with what I love the most... Case Modding. The next few post's will be ALL about building the case, fabricating pieces, the keyboard, the power button, the LCD etc... Please, stay tuned!

Thanks for reading,
Josh

Edited by crusty_punk, 17 April 2011 - 04:16 PM.

#19 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

Mini update:

Right now, this very second, I'm taking a beer break from working on the case.
All I have to say is:
Trimming 1/8 of an inch off at a time(BY HAND) from the entire perimeter of the case is a bitch!

Making progress though... so I can't really complain.
Full Blog / forum posts in the next few days.

here are 2 teasers pictures:
IPB Image

And
IPB Image

#20 BuraddoX

BuraddoX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Loves to mod gaming consoles.

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:12 PM

Mike Wazowski!

I don't see the point of what their doing. They aren't advertising anything. Their sig pictures don't link anywhere. I say screw it, let them be...

its a annoying you don't just go into someone's thread and write thanks all for nothing i mean whats the point of that its like there just trying to get there post's up so i don't see why they should continue, SPAM can be other things then advertising also in his pics it has this in it.

But great work on the laptop its looking good happy.gif

Edited by BuraddoX, 17 April 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#21 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:47 AM

I got the sides done, the face cut down to size (still needs work), the floor of the bottom of the case cleaned up, the keyboard cracked open and the palm rest plexi cut (but not shaped)

Next is to cut the hole for the keyboard, build stand-off's and shape the palm rest.

Do I keep going tonight?

I think so..... wink.gif

#22 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:30 AM

Xbox Laptop: The Case (Pt.1)

First I started with a naked lower case. I used a hacksaw blade, wrapped at one end with electrical tape, to saw off the stand-off's at their base.
IPB Image IPB Image

I saved the stand-off's and set them aside. I'll be using them later to re-build stand off's for the motherboard.
IPB Image

Next I used the hack saw blade and I started to cut the back plate of the case off flush with the bottom of the case. The trick here was to go SLOW and deliberate. I started at the fan "alcove". It was "raised" high enough to make slits on each side to get the hacksaw blade in. Once both slits were cut I slowly made my way to either end.

Here you can see the gap between the back plate and the bottom of the case.
IPB Image IPB Image

#23 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:54 AM

--------------------
--------------------

I used a dremel on both sides of the rear face of the case to make slits. Then I used the hacksaw blade to make the final cuts.
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

I cut off a good sized (un-measured) chunk of the top off. I did this so I didn't have a whole lot to cut in the next step. I saved that piece because you never know...
IPB Image IPB Image

Time to make the vertical cuts. This will release the back plate.

This is a mock up of how I wanted it to sit against the motherboard. Remember that the motherboard will be mounted up-side-down in the case. The tallest point of the mobo is 5/8. If you have seen teaser pictures you will notice that A LOT is yet to be cut off.
IPB Image

Continued..........

#24 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:27 AM

The Case Pt.2

Next up was to cut the vent hole.

My first idea was to make it oval shaped. I used the original case jewel as a guide, connected the lines on the top and bottom. I used a dremel to make a series of small holes around the perimeter and then drug the bit from hole to hole to make the final cut.
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

The hole didn't look right when the motherboard was in place so I decided on a squared hole. It looked better and fit like a glove.
IPB Image IPB Image

Next was the mesh. I bought a damaged mesh something of another from my work for a buck. I used regular scissors to make the cuts, ruining them forever. (my girlfriend is going to kill me)
IPB Image

I tacked the mesh in 2 corners with hot glue (not pictured) and used the ball end of a few different screw drivers to recess the mesh. That way, when it's in place and flipped, it will be flush with the bottom of the case.
IPB Image

To hold the mesh in place I tacked all 4 corners with hot glue with decent sized gobs. Before the gobs had completely hardened, I mashed them in place. Then I slowly, and deliberately, hot glued the perimeter with a semi-generous amount of hot glue. If you ask me, this sucker isnt going anywhere. (where you goin'... No where.. thats right!)
IPB Image

This next shot is with the motherboard in place.
IPB Image

So there you have it... The vent hole smile.gif

Continued in Part 3...

#25 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:51 AM

The motherboard stand-off's.

This is going to be pretty simple and extremely basic...
-I used 1 clear Bic pen, cut it into 4, 5/8" pieces.
-Then I took 4 of the best stand-off's that I removed previously and sanded them to where they'd fit into one end.
-I super-glued the black piece into one end, then filled the rest with hot glue.
-I screwed all 4 NEW stand-off's into all 4 corners of the motherboard.
-While up-side-down (right-side-up) I quickly dabbed all 4 stand-off's, flipped it and placed it.
-I held all 4 corners down with my fingers as tightly as I could until I felt that they were set enough for me to back out the screws.
-Once the screws were backed out and the mother board was removed I gobbed all 4 new posts with a generous amount of hot glue.
-I cracked open a beer, drank it and let the glue set before I attempted to set the motherboard back down.
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Continued in part 4...

#26 Nextelhalo

Nextelhalo

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

Brilliant mod Crusty, I cant wait to see this finished.
Dont let it be one of those unfinished projects laugh.gif you've
gone too far already. Been a while since i've seen such a detailed
work log too. Fuckin A Crusty beerchug.gif

#27 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:48 PM

Hey guyss... I thimk that I may have run into a snag with how I'm going to power this thing. I know that I can use a pico psu... I know which caps I can remove. I know how to buold an adapter... BUT I do not thinl a pico psu will have enough amps to power the 12v. screen.

I didn't have the opertunity to open the box for the screen before I bought it. When I got it home ot has a seperate board in a seperate box for the inverter. I opened the invetter box to lok at the pcb to see what I could remove.. if there is anything I could cut off to make it smaller. Yhe invertee itself, on the board, is freaking huge.

I don't want to resort to usong a psx screen because that would rob me of 3 inches worth of viewing space...

Any ideas or suggestions?
I can take a picture of the board and possibly supply more info and specs of the unit itself later when I get home.

Thanks for reading,
Josh

Btw... my bad grammer today is due to my lame android touch keyboard. Sorry.

#28 stcupp

stcupp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

just wondering did you ever finish this?

#29 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

I just updated my xbox laptop blog. Read below:
----------

Been a while hasn't it?

I'm sorry that I haven't updated in a while. I have been busy with work, my teeth decided that they didn't want to live in my face anymore and a ton of other things that were way more important.

I found a key ingredient on Craigslist yesterday. A screen. Not just any screen but a screen that was made for the xbox. It was $20 bucks and thanks to Joel for being awesome I now have something to play with. I originally got ripped off at a local "electronics bouquet"... Which was more like Armenian Gypsies, traveling from city to city ripping people off. I bought an 8" screen from one of them for $100 and as soon as I got home I found the exact same thing in a 9.2" on NewEgg for 59 bucks.

Oh well. The first screen was 12v BUT drew too many amps to run like I wanted it to. Since then I have mounted it to my desk and is now a permanent part of my "battle station"... Basically it's only there for XBMC...

Soooo... Now that I have a new toy, not as many crazy ass hours at work, a clear mind and new teeth, I can focus on this project and once and for all, finish it. In a bout a week or so, I'll be starting to tear this down ad see what I can really do with it.

Thanks for being patient.
Thanks for sticking in there with me.
The worlds first "classic" xbox laptop will prevail wink.gif

Thanks,
-Josh

#30 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

Lol this makes me smile..

MS sat down 1 day and said.. We can make a console.. but what shall we use?.. A LAPTOP!
they then used a laptop to build the xbox,

And now many years later you come and say..
I can build a lap top, What shal i use?.. A XBOX!

i cant help but enjoy the simetry,

Glad to see the project is going strong.
keep up the good work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users