7 replies to this topic

#1 sirtumtum

sirtumtum

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

hey guys, im new to ps3, never owned one, was thinking of getting one now coz it looks like the home brew scene is beginning to take off a bit.

just wondering if i should get one now before any major hardware changes are made to them, i have been reading articles recently that sony cant fix the security exploit in them unless they update the hardware, is this going to affect the home brew stuff?

also i have no idea where to start, i have had a quick read on these threads, do i need a usb stick and load some custom firmware onto that for home brew ?

any help and clarification would be greatly appreciated

#2 ChicagoUno6900

ChicagoUno6900

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:17 AM

Id get one before sony makes the hw changes.

Get a flash drive and external hd and your good.

#3 sirtumtum

sirtumtum

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(ChicagoUno6900 @ Jan 16 2011, 02:17 PM) View Post

Id get one before sony makes the hw changes.

Get a flash drive and external hd and your good.

yeah ok, so i have been looking around, and the geohots custom firmware is installable via any usb stick, this lets you jailbreak the ps3?

and then i can run custom hombrew aps like emulators and such ?

thats what i figure from all the crap i have been through for the last day. but yeah ill prob end up getting one coz it looks like sony will make a hardware change soon to stop this like they did with the other OS update.

cheers for the help also

#4 STICKY_BUD

STICKY_BUD

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

in regards to actually applying any of the new cfw updates, you can find tutorials for that on the sony website because it is the same as applying their proprietary system updates. most of the instructions i have found on other sites leave out important steps like placing the files in the correct folder structure.

Edited by STICKY_BUD, 16 January 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#5 sirtumtum

sirtumtum

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:32 AM

ok cool, i was hoping someone here on this forum has been playing with this stuff yet, i guess im jumping the gun a bit, but i know if i wait too long and dont get a ps3 version now, they will probably change the internal hardware and no home-brew will be able to run.

#6 Ranger72

Ranger72

MOD GOD

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE(sirtumtum @ Jan 16 2011, 11:32 PM) View Post

ok cool, i was hoping someone here on this forum has been playing with this stuff yet, i guess im jumping the gun a bit, but i know if i wait too long and dont get a ps3 version now, they will probably change the internal hardware and no home-brew will be able to run.

With the master keys released there is not a lot they can likely do to prevent homebrew even with hardware changes.

#7 steveo1978

steveo1978

Local Retard

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

Yeah the only way I can see them "fixing" this is make everything out right now not able to run. Its not like how a jtag 360 uses a exploit to run unsigned code, the PS3 would actually be running signed code, so say a emulator is signed with that code then it can run on an unmodified PS3.

#8 sirtumtum

sirtumtum

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

SWEET! ill be getting one soon after all this info, thanks guys, im porbably going to get a 160gb at my work coz its pretty cheap at the moment, may as well, and play some DC universe online lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users