2 replies to this topic

#1 tinchote

tinchote

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

Hi

My playstation 3 died while watching MGS4 intro. When I turned it on, there was a yellow then a red light.

Looking and looking for tuts, I found it was the yellow light of death. (funny for me is red).

The console is the 60gb with retrocompatibility, FAT.

The big doubt is:

A friend of mine is about to lend me his heat gun, but he told me it is very hot. About 350C.

My question is, how much careful must I be about fan speed? How do I know the fan is too strong? (and not blow any capacitor or something)

BTW, I am using the video tutorial by Gilksy

#2 JamesKeenan

JamesKeenan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE(tinchote @ Jan 17 2011, 10:13 PM) View Post

Hi

My playstation 3 died while watching MGS4 intro. When I turned it on, there was a yellow then a red light.

Looking and looking for tuts, I found it was the yellow light of death. (funny for me is red).

The console is the 60gb with retrocompatibility, FAT.

The big doubt is:

A friend of mine is about to lend me his heat gun, but he told me it is very hot. About 350C.

My question is, how much careful must I be about fan speed? How do I know the fan is too strong? (and not blow any capacitor or something)

BTW, I am using the video tutorial by Gilksy

You want to be careful not to popcorn the chips that is pretty much blowing the solders out from under the chips...
I reflow PS3s about 500 now i use a hot air rework station and i am getting set up to offer reballs i have done 5 or 7 reballs now all with success the problem with the hot air gun. Method the heat the gun is saying you are blowing at is not how hot the air is when the heat hits air you lose probably 25% of the heat....

Also make sure you have flux as it will help it last longer a no clean no lead flux is what you want and do it about 2 inches from each chip at 25 sec a chip 2 times on each one

#3 Rich5578

Rich5578

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

I get plenty of machines in that have had home DIY attempts to re-flow the BGA components. I can usually manage to get them sorted again but won't offer any warranty on them as the GPU has often started to de-laminate, or popcorn. You may find that you not only either fail due to not enough heat or wreck the thing due to over heating, also sirocco effects can move components close to the GPU, and can be a nightmare to solder back if you don't have enough soldering experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users