• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sudmah

sudmah

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hi all, i have a 40GB PS3 here which has the GLOD. I have tried all reset methods however none would work. I was so close to reflowing but after opening the console it looked very new and were no signs of heat related stress so just closed it straight back.

The problem occurred when i changed from SDTV (Composite) to HDTV (HDMI) and i never got the video back! So I doubt this is hardware problem just software (firmware) as Amediar says.

I still get audio and controllers sync can hear the XMB dashboard when I press the buttons on the controller.

After reading a thread on blogallalong named Green light on and system wont start, a user by the name of Amediar has given some valuable and rare information. 40GB GLOD owners do not reflow or reball if you have the default firmware that the 40GB PS3 came with. The problem is that the PS3 2.3 Firmware has a bug within it which wont allow it to reset, blind changing the output back wont fix it, only a blind update will.

Heres a quote from Amediar

"If you have a PS3/40 Iíd imagine the manufacture date is around 2007? If you didnít do a firmware update the odds are your machine wonít reset. I tried everything for months and got nada until I installed 2.76. I can reset at will now. If there is a way to reset a 2.3 machine I have yet to find it and I spent a year reading and experimenting without any luck. 2.76 cured this instantly.
You didnít indicate if you tested to make sure you donít have HDMI signal. From what I understand in a 2.3 system if there was a shift from RCA to HDMI you wouldnít know it and, as far as I can tell, there isnít any way to get it to return to RCA blind without being able to reset. You can test the HDMI for output with your meter or buy a HDMI compat TV and return it after youíre done. Whatever works for you."

You can read more on this page. http://blogallalong....tem-wont-start/

I have downloaded Firmware version 2.76 however i was wondering if a user here would help me blindly update with no video on 2.3 if they still have it. Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all for reading!

#2 peanwean

peanwean

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

system update is the second column to the right all the way at the top.

so if you can hear the xmb clicks go all the way left until it doesent click anymore then push one click right and go up until it doesent click anymore and select it, this will be system update. after you select that push down one time that will be update via usb, make sure your flash drive is inserted and select it.

good luck,

you may know already but your flash drive needs to look like this, all caps PS3>UPDATE>firmware version

Edited by peanwean, 19 January 2011 - 09:34 PM.

#3 sudmah

sudmah

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

Thanks alot .. gonna go give it a try now.. couldnt find the usb cable to sync controller but now i have it.

will report back with my results!

#4 peanwean

peanwean

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE(sudmah @ Jan 19 2011, 06:38 PM) View Post

The problem occurred when i changed from SDTV (Composite) to HDTV (HDMI) and i never got the video back! So I doubt this is hardware problem just software (firmware) as Amediar says.

you have tried the video reset method right? holding the power button until it beeps

#5 sudmah

sudmah

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:53 AM

yea the video reset was the first thing i tried.

UPDATE - I have updated the PS3 or so I think, as I saw the pendrive and HDD flashing and the console rebooted some time after. I still have no video, after doing the reset with the new firmware so assuming this is not the issue.

The next thing for me to try is either

A - Try replacing the Zener diodes as another member stated
B - Try shimming/reflowing either the RSX or Cell

I also noticed my issue is very different from many people which suffer the GLOD. Mine still has audio, only when connected via composite however HDMI nothing, many users with the GLOD don't get any audio, also my green light doesn't flash and functionality of my console is normal, i am also still able to sync my controller which many cant. I've read about corrupt firmwares but I don't think this is the case as i can still hear XMB running in the background.

Is there a way a can tell hardware defect from software defect, ie testing the temps of the RSX and CELL or multimeter?

Has anyone with the same symtoms as my PS3 e.g. Controllers sync, can hear audio XMB clicks etc been able to get it working again, any info relating the GLOD is appreciated.

Edited by sudmah, 22 January 2011 - 06:47 AM.

#6 mhaqs

mhaqs

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hey sudmah,

I have exactly the same problem. Have you ever gotten to fix it? If you have, please let me know too.

#7 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE(sudmah @ Jan 22 2011, 06:53 AM) View Post

yea the video reset was the first thing i tried.

UPDATE - I have updated the PS3 or so I think, as I saw the pendrive and HDD flashing and the console rebooted some time after. I still have no video, after doing the reset with the new firmware so assuming this is not the issue.

The next thing for me to try is either

A - Try replacing the Zener diodes as another member stated
B - Try shimming/reflowing either the RSX or Cell

I also noticed my issue is very different from many people which suffer the GLOD. Mine still has audio, only when connected via composite however HDMI nothing, many users with the GLOD don't get any audio, also my green light doesn't flash and functionality of my console is normal, i am also still able to sync my controller which many cant. I've read about corrupt firmwares but I don't think this is the case as i can still hear XMB running in the background.

Is there a way a can tell hardware defect from software defect, ie testing the temps of the RSX and CELL or multimeter?

Has anyone with the same symtoms as my PS3 e.g. Controllers sync, can hear audio XMB clicks etc been able to get it working again, any info relating the GLOD is appreciated.

This is a similar behavior with Video problem on XBOX 360. at 9/10 times the problem (on XBOX 360) is the GPU and you have to reflow or reball. If not then it is the HANA/ANA chip. I guess you must look for the similar chips on your PS3 and reflow them to resolve your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users