32 replies to this topic

#1 dickalan

dickalan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:15 AM

YO! I don't know how many of you are aware of this but MANY of the modified patch's for roms at: http://goldeneyevault.com/ WORK just fine on Surreal64 Xxx Ce B5.4.

With the new and improved "deadzone" settings in B5.4, playing Goldeneye & Perfect Dark on the Xbox have never been better!!!!! (which is really the main games I ever care about playing, those and mario kart).

However, now you can play them with HEAVILY modified hacks. Like ridding a boat to the "island" on the first dam level, All Bonds in multiplayer, Perfect Dark conversion of Goldeneye, ride the motorcycle on the runway, many BETA features of the game can be played, CREATE YOUR OWN MODIFIED LEVELS, +many more.

To me this is really cool, but I can't seem to find a group between these two communities who care about each other. Meaning over there all they really care about is playing it on the PC (Xbox wasn't really "in mind" when there community came about--but it totally works) and then over here I'm guessing most people just don't know about it. I hope these two worlds collide because it could offer some pretty cool integration. To me, there's just something about playing this on an Xbox that tops playing it on a PC. Again, to me it feels more like I'm playing it on an old N64 again.

ANYWAY, if you have trouble figuring out how to play these hacked roms let me know and I might be able to answer *some* questions. But I consider myself a noob over there. You can probably find much more valuable info there.

P.S. are there any patches for the Jungle level not to freeze when you beat it?

Edited by dickalan, 22 January 2011 - 05:18 AM.

#2 Xboxer64

Xboxer64

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:48 AM

GoldenEye in Surreal....
Ultrahle - smooth, occasional crashes
PJ64 - choppy (always), but crashing is rare

If Goldeneye ran a little better on the xbox, there might be more interest in those mods here tongue.gif
QUOTE(dickalan @ Jan 21 2011, 10:15 PM) View Post
P.S. are there any patches for the Jungle level not to freeze when you beat it?

Are you using ultrahle or pj? I've beaten the game in its entirety with surreal-ultrahle. I didn't have any problems with jungle specifically, but I did encounter random crashes because of a known audio bug in Ultrahle.

#3 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Sustainability, Playing music, Mountain Biking, Snowboard, Games, Micro Beer, Camping, River Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

to me goldeneye holds a very very special place in my heart. me and my friends played the living crap out of this game in high school back in the day. and was always the best lol. then i created a goldeneye mod for counter strike and buildt a really nice community around it for years.

i would love to try some of these mods but as xbomber said it's still a bit unstable for me. i cringe to think it dont play right. especially the multi player. i tried playing pd co op the other day with a friend and it was mad slow. no fun.

so hopefully in the next release (5.5) these games will be fixed up and running smooth. i pray for the day when all 64 games play good on xbox. i think with a little tlc its possible.

#4 cheema201

cheema201

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Goldeneye is definately bareable in ultra, the freezes aren't common enough to complain. Perfect dark is unfortunately not playable (way slooooooow)..

I'll give these a look over, goldeneye is a favourite of mine. Even the remake wasn't bad.

#5 Xboxer64

Xboxer64

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE(cheema201 @ Jan 22 2011, 09:10 AM) View Post
I'll give these a look over, goldeneye is a favourite of mine. Even the remake wasn't bad.

Nintendo was in talks with Microsoft so that they could both have the original Goldeneye on VC and Xbla. For this to happen Nintendo and Microsoft have to get along, since Microsoft owns rare now. Xbla would actually have an updated version (HD res and textures). The Xbla version was actually completed (You can find a video and multiple screenshots), but Nintendo blocked it all in favor of this (Nintendo exclusive) remake. What a dick move, Nintendo.

Read this article
http://mundorare.com...i-to-goldeneye/

#6 jojones88

jojones88

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE(Xboxer64 @ Jan 22 2011, 06:45 PM) View Post

Nintendo was in talks with Microsoft so that they could both have the original Goldeneye on VC and Xbla. For this to happen Nintendo and Microsoft have to get along, since Microsoft owns rare now. Xbla would actually have an updated version (HD res and textures). The Xbla version was actually completed (You can find a video and multiple screenshots), but Nintendo blocked it all in favor of this (Nintendo exclusive) remake. What a dick move, Nintendo.

Read this article
http://mundorare.com...i-to-goldeneye/

Nintendo had nothing to do with it. Nintendo doesn't have any rights to the original game. It was not a Nintendo IP. Activision owns the rights to publish Bond games now.

Nintendo can't "block" future releases of Blast Corps and Killer Instinct either. They are NOT Nintendo IPs, or even "shared" IPs. Those, along with Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark, are completely Rare owned.

"He was referring to the secret agreement between Nintendo and Microsoft that failed back in 2006. Microsoft would agree to let Nintendo launch the game on Wiiís Virtual Console if Nintendo agreed to let Microsoft launch it on Xbox Live Arcade. Nintendo didnít like the plan."

That is ridiculous. Neither company has a say so... If Activision did green light the game for release, there would had been nothing stopping Rare and Microsoft from publishing Goldeneye for XBLA.

It will never happen. Rare could probably sub-license the game, and I bet Activision would gladly accept payment. However, that would probably leave very little, if any, room for profit for Rare and Microsoft.

That article is ridiculous and the website is ridiculous. Read all the pathetic fanboy comments below it. I really do hope these people are below the age of 12.

"secret agreement" <- Does anyone really think that Nintendo, Microsoft, or Activision really care that much about rereleasing a 14 year old N64 game. These companies are selling millions of titles that are full priced.

Super Mario Galaxy - 9 million
Modern Warfare 2 - 20 million
Halo 3 - 8 million

ridiculous...

-------------------------------

Back on topic though...

Goldeneye just isn't playable enough yet on Surreal64, but development is occurring almost every day. I am sure it will get better. Maybe not perfect, but probably better.

#7 Xboxer64

Xboxer64

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:30 AM

QUOTE(jojones88 @ Jan 22 2011, 05:52 PM) View Post

That article is ridiculous and the website is ridiculous. Read all the pathetic fanboy comments below it. I really do hope these people are below the age of 12.

"secret agreement" <- Does anyone really think that Nintendo, Microsoft, or Activision really care that much about rereleasing a 14 year old N64 game. These companies are selling millions of titles that are full priced.

Super Mario Galaxy - 9 million
Modern Warfare 2 - 20 million
Halo 3 - 8 million

ridiculous...

Yes, those are big sales numbers. They should just pull the plug on xbla and the virtual console, right? Why bother with downloadable titles at a bargain price, pfft. What a silly concept.

Maybe that site has the facts wrong, but a GoldenEye re-release was in the works, until something went wrong.

Saying these companies don't care about re-releasing this game....... is ridiculous. It was a massive hit, and is still popular today. A perfect fit for the virtual console or xbla. What do you think the virtual console service is anyway? There are allot of re-releases on xbla arcade also.

There was enough interest to go ahead and start work on a port:

That isn't goldeneye source (a popular mod). A screenshot isn't hard to fake, but a full level being played through is another story. Yes, it's a low res video but the model style matches the screenshots that are available.

Also, You can't judge an article (or anything) based on the comments it receives. Try reading some articles from a major news network and read some of the comments there.

On the topic of GoldenEye mods, I have tried the one with a playable Citadel level in multiplayer. Cool stuff. Surreal crashes pretty quickly in multiplayer mode unfortunately sad.gif

#8 Xmodder deluX

Xmodder deluX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:31 AM

Here is a video showcasing Goldeneye multiplayer on xbla. It is very unfortunate that we may never see this port. mad.gif

XBLA Goldeneye Multiplayer

In the future I still think that we will get some type of re-release/port of this game. It is wishful thinking, but look what happened with Duke Nukem Forever. It is coming out on May 3rd of this year. blink.gif I say, just give it enough time and we will see Goldeneye return. Maybe it will even be on the next gen consoles. And, no, I don't consider Goldeneye Wii a re-release.

As for the Goldeneye hacks, I have tried a few and they are pretty good. Many, if not all of the Perfect Dark levels are available in Goldeneye. I don't know if there are Goldeneye levels for Perfect Dark, but I think there are. And as for playing them on the original xbox, I don't think I want to. I would rather play them on the PC with an N64 controller or xbox 360 controller. Unless of course, if the surreal team gets it to run at a descent speed with no freezing. smile.gif

#9 Xboxer64

Xboxer64

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE(Xmodder deluX @ Jan 22 2011, 09:31 PM) View Post

Here is a video showcasing Goldeneye multiplayer on xbla. It is very unfortunate that we may never see this port. mad.gif

Read the description of that video, the title is just to snag search results. That is GoldenEye: Source, a free mod for Half Life 2. That won't ever be on xbla, but it's free on the pc (assuming you have Half Life 2) smile.gif

#10 Xmodder deluX

Xmodder deluX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:13 AM

Ahh... I didn't read the description. Thanks for the heads up! I might have to try that out then.

#11 jojones88

jojones88

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(Xboxer64 @ Jan 23 2011, 02:30 AM) View Post

Yes, those are big sales numbers. They should just pull the plug on xbla and the virtual console, right? Why bother with downloadable titles at a bargain price, pfft. What a silly concept.

Maybe that site has the facts wrong, but a GoldenEye re-release was in the works, until something went wrong.

Saying these companies don't care about re-releasing this game....... is ridiculous. It was a massive hit, and is still popular today. A perfect fit for the virtual console or xbla. What do you think the virtual console service is anyway? There are allot of re-releases on xbla arcade also.

There was enough interest to go ahead and start work on a port:

That isn't goldeneye source (a popular mod). A screenshot isn't hard to fake, but a full level being played through is another story. Yes, it's a low res video but the model style matches the screenshots that are available.

Also, You can't judge an article (or anything) based on the comments it receives. Try reading some articles from a major news network and read some of the comments there.

That's all I'm going to say. I don't want to post off-topic anymore...

On the topic of GoldenEye mods, I have tried the one with a playable Citadel level in multiplayer. Cool stuff. Surreal crashes pretty quickly in multiplayer mode unfortunately sad.gif

I went off on a rant there. My bad.

I didn't mean that those companies do not care about the sales of Virtual Console/XBLA titles. I was implying that the profits made from those titles are nothing compared to that of fully priced software. Place those low revenues on top of having to pay for a sub-license and pffft... where's the profit? No point right?

Thanks for calling me out. I don't want to be misunderstood. I was pissed before I read the article... I guess I'm on my man-period. Anywho... I do not know where they got information implying that Nintendo and Microsoft were having "secret" negotiations over a IP that neither one of the control... I just think it was all fabricated BS.

#12 dickalan

dickalan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE(Xmodder deluX @ Jan 23 2011, 04:31 AM) View Post

In the future I still think that we will get some type of re-release/port of this game. It is wishful thinking, but look what happened with Duke Nukem Forever. It is coming out on May 3rd of this year. blink.gif I say, just give it enough time and we will see Goldeneye return. Maybe it will even be on the next gen consoles. And, no, I don't consider Goldeneye Wii a re-release.

As for the Goldeneye hacks, I have tried a few and they are pretty good. Many, if not all of the Perfect Dark levels are available in Goldeneye. I don't know if there are Goldeneye levels for Perfect Dark, but I think there are. And as for playing them on the original xbox, I don't think I want to. I would rather play them on the PC with an N64 controller or xbox 360 controller. Unless of course, if the surreal team gets it to run at a descent speed with no freezing. smile.gif

Yes Goldeneye is being "ported" into the perfect dark engine. It's called Goldeneye X:
http://www.goldeneye...file.php?id=202

Personally I think the way Goldeneye runs on Surreal is AWESOME! I just played the game the entire way through. Yes there are a few times it froze... the jungle froze in ultra but then I switched the emulator and finished the level, then switched it back to ultra, hardly a problem. Really I think you guys should give it a bigger chance. It's probably true multiplayer isn't yet up to speed but the normal campaign really is stellar. Thanks freakdave and weazle!@#$. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and that's great news about the new settings in project64

#13 cheema201

cheema201

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

I really wish I could be bothered with emulators and ports and stuff on my pc. There is so much stuff out there!

But doing things through the xbox means I can lie in bed when I play haha.

It would be good if goldeneye came to vc or xbla. I've played through perfect dark on xbla a few times.

#14 scorp316

scorp316

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Surreal64
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(dickalan @ Jan 23 2011, 08:41 PM) View Post

Yes Goldeneye is being "ported" into the perfect dark engine. It's called Goldeneye X:
http://www.goldeneye...file.php?id=202

Personally I think the way Goldeneye runs on Surreal is AWESOME! I just played the game the entire way through. Yes there are a few times it froze... the jungle froze in ultra but then I switched the emulator and finished the level, then switched it back to ultra, hardly a problem. Really I think you guys should give it a bigger chance. It's probably true multiplayer isn't yet up to speed but the normal campaign really is stellar. Thanks freakdave and weazle!@#$. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and that's great news about the new settings in project64

Goldeneye runs even better in PJ64....well once b5.5ce comes out.....you'll see wink.gif Runs with a lot more free RAM......well i practically mentioned all of these progresses on the Surreal64 b5.4 thread already.

Edited by scorp316, 25 January 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#15 dickalan

dickalan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE(scorp316 @ Jan 25 2011, 08:54 AM) View Post

Goldeneye runs even better in PJ64....well once b5.5ce comes out.....you'll see wink.gif Runs with a lot more free RAM......well i practically mentioned all of these progresses on the Surreal64 b5.4 thread already.

I have no idea about getting this to work as smooth as possible but would the plugins over here work well:
http://www.goldeneyeonline.com/

they seem to help mupen run goldeneye smoothly... (step #2)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users